Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo : Kaleidoscope

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by nikhil, Oct 11, 2006.

1. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

Diablo : Kaleidoscope

hi all

i've been playin diablo like all my life.. so to say.. bt all of it has been singleplayer.. well i didn't have a net connection worthy of online play..

now i'm in the US and sooner or later m gonna try hook-up on the B.net as soon as i get some time..

in the mean time.. i wud like some feedback from all u guyz.. i'm startin on coming up with a NEW FEATURE for D2 series (a class assignment)..
    And i thought what better place to discuss it than this forums..

(I would like the following feature(s) to be seen as increasing the single-player game value)
    For starters (and after going through the forums a bit), i concluded that just the old school quest system doesn't pleases a veteran D2 player..
    Consider a single-player scenario, is any quest really worth the effort (except for a real few, like the horadric cube and the ones giving skill points)..
    Enter the D2:Kaleidoscope quests..
    The quest has, as its reward - 'The item of your wish' .. I think, and lemme know if u agree with me on this, playing single player, u hardly get the items u want at the right time, even worse u might not get an item ever..
    for me, i had one player at level 74 and two characters at 60+ levels.. and never got the SOJ from the game.. EVER.. till i decided it was time for JAMELLA to help me ;)
    Now I cann't present u the interface(I've in my mind) of selecting the item whn u start the quest..
    bt just suppose theres a nifty interface tht lets u select an item.. and theres a constraint U CAN ONLY PLAY FOR ITEMS THAT ARE BELOW (or equal) TO YOUR CHAR LEVEL.. THe quest are only available in the HELL difficulty (after u complete the game in HELL).. And the quest basically boosts ur chances of gettin tht itme by a factor of X.. if u dun get the item u can play the quest again and now the chace will be 10 * X .. so basically if u persist u will eventually get it..

So u get the rough idea..

Q: and its called Kaleidoscope Y..
    A: After completing the game, U go to cain and he has learned of this magic portal... so u tell cain of the item u wish for and he combines the items name with this spell to open a portal to the item(Kaledoscope) and this portal looks like u r luking through a kaleidoscope with all the rainbow colors..

Q: wht location the quest plays in..
    A: OH! it can be random.. from the deserts of the Act 2 to the never ending forests in act3.. depending upon the LEVEL of item u choose.. the game tends to be more difficult for a more valuable item..

Q:How do u complete the quest..
    A: well this is a real tough question.. and i wud welcome suggestions for it.. for now i was thinking of this main area with a chest that supposedly holds the item.. u can just walk up to it and open it up and grab the item, if it spawns and run back.. but that area is highly infested with monsters and is teleport/townportal banned.. so u might wanna kill of some baddies before u make a run for it.. but the idea is to not limit the player to KILL everything.. as soon as he sees it fit, he goes for the item..

Q:Y, I think it'll not ruin the balance of gameplay
    A: first of all its a single player only quest and can be repeated N number of times.. (SP only, coz on B.Net, hacks will prolly screw everything) .. moreover u then get a chance of building ur player keeping in mind a powerful item.. and not go mad whn u r building a JAV thrower amazon and the game gives u this leet bow.. I mean, there are already many things to frustrate a SP, this might lead to some HONESTLY REWARDING time on D2..

K guyz.. pretty loong post.. im completely open to ideas / suggestion and critiques.. in case u think this will completely BOMB.. plz tell me y..

I wud really appreciate UR FEEDBACK..

Thanks
    Nik
    P.S : - the next idea is even better.. and called the D2:KAMiKAZE .. im saving it for laters..

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

This forum is frequented by many people whose native language isn't English (like me) and for them it's already hard enough to do everything in a foreign language. With your way of spelling it gets even tougher for them and many of them will probably ignore your posting for that reason.

3. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

THe quest are only available in the HELL difficulty (after u complete the game in HELL).. And the quest basically boosts ur chances of gettin tht itme by a factor of X.. if u dun get the item u can play the quest again and now the chace will be 10 * X .. so basically if u persist u will eventually get it..

Knowing this fact and also knowing that I would be tend to go in that portal get myself to fail the quest as soon as possible and do it over and over untill it gets to the point the items spawns right beside the portal.

Beside of that great idea, but of course you know this will never be include in the game.

Good luck with your class assignement btw.

4. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, basically, his entire post comes down to this:

He wants to implement new quests, with the reward being an item of your choice from a list of all the items which levels are lower than your character's one.

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

It would seem most of us have established that.

Terrible idea. Wow... such a horrible, horrible idea. Not only would it take a ridiculous amount of work to code in a way to pick which item you want (unless you wanted a 10,000 page list like they have for mercs..), but it would also shoot the economy to hell. You wanted a SoJ, and were upset when you didn't get one in making three characters? Too bad! Luck of the draw, my friend - I've played for six years and have found a grand total of three sojs... wait, MAYBE four. There's also a number of items I haven't found - Tyrael's might, crown of ages, griffon's eye.... there's a REASON these are hard to get. Implementing a quest like this would be silly, it would take all the value out of these hard to get items.

Also, Jamella - I sincerely hope you don't trade on the single player forum, because Jamella is illegal there. You want to use it for your own use, whatever, none of us will be impressed, but excrement occurs. Try and trade any "made" items on the SP trade forum, however, and you'll find a number of very unhappy people.

6. English Muffin

English Muffin IncGamers Member

Wait, you can't teleport or tp? The tp idea isn't so bad, but no tele? Sorc's would have no chance. Well, unless they're an enchantress. It would totally unbalance the game. People would just rush characters to hell, power level, then get the best items in the game. They could get like 2 of the best items in the game in one day...

7. k/t

k/t Banned

I can't wait to hear about D2: Kamikaze.

8. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

The idea that Blizzard would add anything to single player is, well, insane. Remember how the new keys work in Single Player? That's right, they don't!!!!

Just thank your lucky stars they haven't banned single player CD keys for the use of ATMA. :wink3:

There are some nice mods out there for single player, that's about the only place something like this would ever get added.

9. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

i'd like to know what kinda class you're taking to do an assignment on D2?! i must have missed that elective! :smiley: maybe for a creative skills class, or is it a programming compsci thing?

10. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

I'm sorry about that.. will keep it mind for the future.. for sure..

11. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

The idea is not to 10*X if lets say u died.. or something similiar.. it'll 10*X, if you are able to reach the "ITEM Chest" and whn you open it.. the item doesn't spawn.. so you 've done the hard work of working through the level and the game AS ALWAYS messed u up ;) .. so i hope u get the point that ur effort just goes on increasing in value.. and its not ur failure that counts..

12. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

Basically, YA.. but u didn't tell me.. whether you would like such a thing or not.. :D

13. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

I sort of knew, this might offend a Diablo Purist.. but, and thats just me, i believe the game has so much in it, u never get to SEE.. and this will also in a sense allow you to admire the pelothra of options the game throws at you..

A new player to Diablo might go .. WOW.. thats a cool item.. hmm.. the other one is even better.. i'll play for that.. and as the difficulty is scaled the experience doesn't loose to getting items rather cheaply.. and moreover i'm just increasing your chance by a factor of 'X', which for illustration purposes I put down to be 10.. it might also be that u start with a 100 * X % chance and it decreases on ur failed attempts or increases on attempts that were fruitless.. i.e, u got to the chest only to find it was empty..

No my friend.. i don't believe in cheating and rather never do cheat, atleast in PC games ;) .. I just used ATMA to 've some solo fun.. and've never been involved in any sort of trading.. i've just joined the forums.. and this is my first experience of taking my gamin interest on a forum..

anyways.. thnks a lot for your input.. i wud just like your opinion on one thing:
    would you support the idea of taking back Skill points out and reusing them.. ?? No, its not my idea.. i would just like your opinion on it..

thanks
    nik

14. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

Hmm.. yes, i agree.. with you.. but my focus solely relies on gettin you to see what i envision.. and i'm not too concern with the practicalities of such a change.. If i can've a (almost) common opinion that, ya something like this would be nice.. then i've done what i set out to do, A FEATURE which will add to the game.. seeing that its actually implemented, comes only after people here approve of this..

15. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

hmm.. can you describe the best items.. Currently you can only play for SETS/Uniques items.. no jewels/charms etc...

The tele.. well.. it's just that.. I've not played as a tele Sorc..

can you please tell me this.. if ur main objective was to get to a chest and manage to get back to a safe area.. even if the area is highly infested by monsters.. could tele be used to gain an unfair advantage where u are focussing on just teleporting from one point to other.. instead of involving yourself in fights.. ??

or may be you can tele but somehow you cann't do it fast enough to really escape the enemies.. but this will be kind of constraining specific player actions.. which i want to avoid at all costs..

16. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

It's a Game Design Workshop.. and has nothing to do with programming.. focusses on thinking like / acting out like a Designer..

17. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

Well.. u can guess it from the title.. i'll just lay down the brief:

you get this additional NPC by your side (think of an additiona merc).. apart from your merc.. it's nature is completely defensive and tries to stay alive (instead of wandering off and inviting trouble).. and upon reaching into a certain point in a act.. the npc runs like mad into this horde of super monsters.. and he will die.. but guess what.. the NPC was blessed (may be cursed) with this:-

100% chance of casting a Level X ABC Spell on death..

where X is an insane number with ABC being a powerful spell..

This might not sound better than the first one without a candy wrapper around it.. as in the reason for the quest, etc etc..

but i just wanted a merc i would rather enjoy seein die..

peace
    nik
    as soon as i get time... i wud bind it to some story elements etc etc

18. nikhil

nikhil IncGamers Member

Oh.. and when he literally explodes he takes down everything within his range..

may be he shatters a mountain to make way for the next quest.. who knows.. ;)

k guyz.. I'm hopin to see some replies and help me build on these ideas.. or if they are bad.. drive me to the point where i stop thinking of them .. LOL ..

19. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

So erm, you do realize that there is an EDIT button, for one hour you can edit your last reply, instead of making 8 additional ones, it is considered bumping and NOT allowed on these boards.

I'm suprised no one saw your previous bumps, and espescially the mods...

In answer to your question to me: I don't like the idea, it's just another way to change the game, like the suggestion of being able to buy runes from vendors...

Both would come to the point where people just rush and play the game to get to that point to make quickly lots and lots of wealth.

As for the Jamella part, I honestly thought you actually meant gambling a SoJ from the ingame NPC...

20. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Egads, nikhil! :shocked:

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your project, but please take some time to learn the various, easy-to-use vB codes this board utilizes as well as how the Edit feature works (some brief notes on this can be found in the Community Forum Rules). If you have questions, feel free to drop me a private message.