Diablo IV! [Spoiler Thread]

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Well, that was a nice opening cinematic, and the gameplay looked pretty good, although not mind-blowing. I am excited! Am I alone?! Am I?!

I like the initial character choices, although based on a leaked character selection screen, there is at least one more to be announced. The character screen was blurry though so I couldn't guess the fourth. I think the introduction of Lilith is sweet, perhaps we will see Inarius too? Duriel coming back is awesome, given how many untwinked D2 characters hate that **** :p

Any thoughts?

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Just another boring modern ARPG. Why should I play this over Wolcen or Last Epoch? Just because its called "Diablo"?

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Just another boring modern ARPG. Why should I play this over Wolcen or Last Epoch? Just because its called "Diablo"?
Well, it depends on why you play video games. I play games for the lore as much as anything else, hence why I still play through D3 once in a while. So yes, in some ways, because it's called Diablo :p

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought it looked pretty cool. The druid in particular looked pretty boss. Looked a whole lot like poe to me though (speaking as someone who hasn't played any of the modern arpgs).

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
It did look a bit PoEish, but then PoE is a lot like what I imagined D3 being, so I'm good with that! I think it's hard to judge it too much on just this as we didn't get a lot at much in terms of skills.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
I am excited! Am I alone?! Am I?!
Well I'm... let's say "cautiously optimistic" at this stage (I'm wary of carefully orchestrated trailers) but no, I don't think you're alone.

I'd like proper offline Single-Player (not a deal breaker though) and I'd also like to know what the sales model for this game will be. Will we be drowned in microtransactions, season passes and/or other trendy "live service" garbage (in which case, I'll pass)?

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, it depends on why you play video games. I play games for the lore as much as anything else, hence why I still play through D3 once in a while. So yes, in some ways, because it's called Diablo :p
It is like me when I listen to St. Anger by Metallica or Virtual XI by Iron Maiden. Terrible records, garbage music. But they are my favorite bands so once / year I try to listen to them

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I could cope without offline, but it needs to be genuinely soloable, otherwise it will end up like D3 for me in that regard. The SSF system of PoE works great for me in that game.

Tatarr

Diabloii.Net Member
You can tell it's pretty much the same casual/easy d3 gameplay when watching people play the demo. Wish they would've went a different path but with consoles restrictions on the gameplay and all the $ they made from d3 i guess it made sens for them to keep something similar

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Diablo IV has been announced? What about Diablo Immortal! When's that coming to tiny screen size, limited battery life phones that aren't designed for massive gaming?
I haven't played D3 yet, but I agree with @Kitteh . I still play StarCraft/Brood Wars occasionally for the story. Even D1 gets the occasional mod/play for some story. D3 with the failed auction house and microtransactions put me off, but I'll still get it eventually to play through it. I honestly thought D3 wrapped up the storyline, with Diablo being beaten down is his... or her, new transformation.

As to D IV looking more like PoE, I don't mind the idea of that. PoE seems like its objectives was to be the next generation of aRPGs, like the successor to the Diablo franchise, and the similarities are numerous, but with vast improvements and challenges.

I'll have to watch the release footage.

Fast Eddie

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I'll pick Diablo IV up simply as 'the new ARPG' and I'll get my £50 worth levelling a few characters. If it turns out to be a good Diablo game then I shall put my party hat on. I'd agree with the phrase 'cautiously optimistic' but I'm excited about the darker look. I loved the bleakness and lore of Grim Dawn.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
I only watched the live opening ceremony which included trailer and gameplay footage. The trailer of course looked good. They always do. But if there was more info later, I'll have to dig through that now.

So, based on what I saw: Darker setting felt good, but spell effects and sword slashes were quite flashy again. Am not sure whether it was those, or the characters or the combination of it, but I had a strong D3 vibe out of it. Hopefully they get the itemization, character deveplopment, "end game" and trading right. Nod towards D2 here, please. That is where the core of the game is for me. Am not getting too excited yet. Also, I do not believe D4 will _not_ be online only.

My mind might be playing tricks on me, but the setting at the start of the cinematic trailer paid homage to original Diablo (that weary little town at the beginning D1 opening cinematic). I'll have to check that too, as well.

Well, Duriel!

I guess am getting grumpy and nostalgic and might never relive the joy of D2 with another game, but I sure do hope they manage to pull this off and depart from D3.

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
Some observations:

The big tree in Dark wood (Don't know if it's dark wood)

Duriel.

The tall white demonic guy could be Baal in a younger age maybe?

Barbarian had two diffirent clothes/armour..

The skills looked alot like in D2

At the end of the gameplay-trailer it looked like dolls? Round heads..

Looked like diffirerent acts like in D2, desert, harrogath (abit) and swamps..

Sorceress riding a horse pulling off a cold-skill, looked really nice!

Coins dropping looked more like in D2

The boss Shenk

And to the last, the last boss, wow!

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
After watching some gameplay, skills allocation seems to be D2 style, yey! However, it does have some of the 'X' happens when you do 'Y' stuff that PoE and (I think) D3 had. For example, there is a druid staff that causes a lightning bolt to hit an enemy every time you shapeshift, and shapeshifting seems to be integral to almost every druid skill :p Skills seem to be class-oriented like in D3, generators/spenders etc, and druid's cataclysm sounds amazing :D

Also, bosses seem to be mechanical and have those big one hitters etc. So, it seems like PoE style bosses. Also, items seem to follow the typical white > legendary/unique.

Still, cautious indeed :p

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Why did we get a D4 subforum the second Blizzard announced D4, but even one year post the announcement of Diablo Immortal - we still do not have a Diablo Immortals subforum...

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I think it's because nobody gives a **** about Diablo Immortal, whilst D4 is expected to be a proper Diablo game :p

Reactions: ffs

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
We won’t get a D2 clone, that’s for sure. However, I, too, am on the cautiously optimistic side. Things I saw that I liked :
- The aesthetic. It doesn’t have the cartoonish look of D3; it’s more realistic. I did feel that it was a Diablo universe. For me at least, it’s super important.
- A skill tree. There might be something there. It all depends on how it’s implemented though, but its presence is nice.
- Duriel.
- Druid.

Things I don’t know how it will be :
- Itemization. Super important. Please, not a strong link between skills and items like in D3.
- How builds will be implemented. I just hope it won’t be too streamlined. We need the beautiful ‘’simple complexity’’ of D2.

Things I’m sure will be horrible :
- Online at all time.
- Monetization system. I’m sure it won’t be a one-off thing. That’s real bad to me. And, if there’s p2w aspects in a competitive setting, urgh, me will pass. I’m pretty hopeful Diablo Immortal will cover that p2w ground though, so I suppose it won’t be as bad for D4.

Anyway, I like what I saw, but since we live in a weird gaming era, I’m still cautious. Firmly cautious.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Why did we get a D4 subforum the second Blizzard announced D4, but even one year post the announcement of Diablo Immortal - we still do not have a Diablo Immortals subforum...
I think it's because nobody gives a **** about Diablo Immortal, whilst D4 is expected to be a proper Diablo game :p
I care about it, since it is part of the Diablo-world. yeah I am a fanboy too :D
(what is a PROPER diablo game? I personally do not think D3 is a proper diablo game)