Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo III VS Wow

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ishtor, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo III VS Wow

Reading post, i always come across people saying stuff like, this is copied from wow, or this is becoming a wow clone. I wanted to make a thread for just this purpose, so post your opinion about what you think. Is diablo III becoming the new WOW?

My opinion. As a computer graphic designer and an active video game player for over 20 years i understand what blizzard is going with the game. It is a new team working on this game, and they are taking what they now what works. They looked at Diablo II and found out why it worked, why people still played it 10 years later. They also have looked what did not work, to see what they could improve. They have looked at other games, and see what has worked for them. Blizzard is by far the best game developer, they believe in quality over quantity.

First all these types of games stem from D&D. no idea is 100% original, they can put spin on an idea, but that about it. As far as classes go, they follow basic archetypes and classes from past games. That is because they worked, and if something is not broke why fix it. Ability, again they still derive from D&D, some abilities are close to or might be the same ability as a move from wow, but this was probably not the first game to use these moves. In-fact if you go back in time, when Blizzard made WoW, i knew they took concepts from Diablo II and tweaked them for that game.

Second the UI is improved not copied. instead of hitting 1 2 3 4 for pots you hit these for moves, i don't know how many people remember setting moves in diablo II to the F-keys. this is the same concepts, but looks visually better. The game play from what people that have been lucky enough to play the demo all stated that it had the Diablo feel. The new resource system, is awesome, it will help give all classes there own feel.

Is diablo III a wow clone? No it is not, but i think it will take things that worked in wow to improve older systems that are out of date and some that did not even work before. But before you go out and make false acquisitions, read your proof yourself, the link of the Demon hunter from Warcaft is a good example of this. only thing in common was the name, but did not prevent someone from trolling.:scratchchin:

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Diablo III VS Wow

100% true with every word.

3. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

Imaginary pool of good game design --> WoW
    Imaginary pool of good game design --> Diablo 3

Both WoW and Diablo 'steal' ideas from this pool of 'good game design'.
    Arguing that the causality is WoW --> Diablo is a spurious relationship.

Of course since Blizzard is making both games, their view on what is in our 'pool of good game design' will unsurprisingly be some of the same things.

4. Your Average WoW Player

Your Average WoW Player Diabloii.Net Member

There is much truth in Ishtor's post. Agree with everything.

5. Andy2702

Andy2702 Diabloii.Net Member

You make a solid argument, and I mostly agree with you.

Blizzard did improve flawed ideas in Diablo 2 for Diablo 3, which is great and probably the best way to go about designing the new game. But I keep reiterating that what "works" in World of Warcraft does not work entirely in Diablo 3 (and yes, I know World of Warcraft is influenced heavily by Diablo 2). If they can make World of Warcraft such a successful game from taking ideas from Diablo 2, then I'm sure they can make Diablo 3 a successful game from taking ideas only from Diablo 2 as well. Some of the influences from World of Warcraft is, in my worthless personal opinion, not the best way to approach Diablo 3.

Not trying to be biased or anything. It's just that I also really wouldn't want the next big Blizzard MMORPG to take lots of "working" ideas from Diablo 3, but I would rather they can differentiate and take "working" ideas mainly from World of Warcraft. It really just comes down to the different genres creating a misfit when ideas are shared.

I understand that some technical and gameplay ideas must be incorporated, because they universally, that is regardless of game genre, improve games and allow for improvements that are realistic for modern day technological growth (for example, improved graphics or PvP system). However, the majority of the gameplay improvements should best be influenced by previous games of the same genre/series.

Diablo 3 is by no means a copy of World of Warcraft - I can agree to that. It's just that the influences that were incorporated are not always ideal.

6. Adree

Adree Diabloii.Net Member

I came into this thread expecting another crappy Wow vs. Diablo 3 debate, and I was impressed that you took a matter-of-fact approach to reviewing their strategy. I agree with your post, and I would also like to subscribe to your magazine.

7. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

This should be stickied and linked to every time some starts in on the D3 == WoW stuff! Nice post Ishtor!

8. Tyrone

Tyrone Diabloii.Net Member

I think the devs would agree with you wholeheartedly considering how many times they made the distinction that PvP and PvE in this game are completely seperate and in no way influence each other. If there's one element they should not take from WoW, it's the obnoxious pursuit of making it into an e-sport, and I'm glad they made the right choice here.

There are other elements of course, but this one jumped out at me more than any other.

9. Ishtor

I am glad everyone has had a positive response to my thread.

10. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

*two thumbs up from me*
    Great post Ishtor :)

11. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Not to sound cynical or anything, but why bother? If people can't understand something obvious as D3 and WoW being different games then chances are they won't understand the difference even if you spell it out to them. Nor do they want to understand because they like playing the devil's advocate, otherwise they wouldn't post dumb things on a public forum just to get some kind of response to their stupid ideas. In the end, those people will buy and play D3 all the same anyway.

12. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

And keep complaining at the same time no doubt :)
    "Man, I have played this game for 500 hours now and it sucks!".

13. Ninyu

Ninyu Diabloii.Net Member

ThomasJ, I am looking forward to your well thought out rebuttal since you seem to hold the opposite viewpoint stubbornly.

14. Ishtor

I made this post so i would not have to reply to the diablo is the new wow comments every-time mentioned in a new thread, with a post like that we ignore those comments that are there to spike reactions.

I also like debates, and if some one has a rational debut to my opinion i welcome it. I would like an actually well thought out opposing comment to understand the other side. Nut as for now, i find that the other side are people trolling for a reaction, and a thread like this can allow people to ignore those post. If people ignore those post or not, it there own choice.

15. Andy2702

I'm surprised that your rational criticism was totally disregarded!

16. Larik

Larik Diabloii.Net Member

@andy - did you just quote your own post and give yourself a pat on the back?

17. Leugi

Leugi Diabloii.Net Member

Glad? Personally, I'm surprised...

Strange that both ThomasJ or Perm didn't get here yet...

Well... eh, I guess I can agree with Andy a bit... But let's think it carefully. Like it or not, Blizz is not Blizz North, so the game will naturally feel different and feel alike other Blizz games (alike not as in "a copy" or even as in "inspired by" just "similar"), that's a matter of style which is something no one can remove. So far, with their style, they've been managing to make a good D3 game. Things can be improved yes, but that doesn't mean we should all be drastic and say "This is WoW 2!!!" or things like that. We can hope for the mistakes to be corrected and for more good decisions to be taken.

18. Andy2702

You saw it here first :punk:.

19. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

Good thread. For me, these are they highlights of the replies:

I think most of the gripe comes, in my opinion, from the fact that D3 is failing to be that incredibly, relatively, original game that I believed most people were expecting for a long time and instead of taking the path of amalgamation of several ideas from a huge amount of sources, they are taking the road of absorbing features that are knowingly functional, popular and successful and implementing it to the game.

Personally, my biggest disappointment is not how much it looks or not like WoW or any other game, but the fact of how much the authentic concept, lore and design of the franchise have been derailed to favor a greater input of players, where I believe, seemingly wrong, that staying in the same course the original game's direction had would have granted an overall more satisfactory outcome and filling a niche, once again, occupied by no other game.

And sure, despite being unsatisfied by certain features, I have no doubt that I'll play Diablo 3. The difference relies on whether I'll buy the collector's edition, the regular release or download a torrent of a cracked version.

20. Ishtor

The thing about this people should just be happy we are getting another game that can answer questions left from the last. I apologize for what i am about to say next.....

.... coming into this having expectations, chances are they will be too high and it will be a let down. Take everything in as is come and just enjoy it.

Also this is probably not the place to say that you considering to illegaly obtain your copy of DIII, i know i am not a huge fan of stuff like that myself.