Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo III Lacks Run/Walk

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Marjanpoimija, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Marjanpoimija

Marjanpoimija Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo III Lacks Run/Walk

Am i the only one that's upset about Diablo 3 movement system? I personally fancied run/walk system the better simply because walking is more noble-looking than running like a madman in the dungeons. It also makes the character feel more stable and less youngish running all around.

I'm new on the forum, definetly not new on Diablo, so reply what do you think about this. Also my apologies for my bad english, Im finnish T_T

-Marjanpoimija

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Diablo III Lacks Run/Walk

Due to the lack of item properties, it would be illogical to assume FRW is out.

3. Nowhere Girl

Nowhere Girl Diabloii.Net Member

Running in Diablo 2 would reduce your defense to zero, but everyone did it anyway.

I hope they don't remove the toggle. If only for flavour, it's nice to be able to calmly walk around.

4. badKarma

badKarma Diabloii.Net Member

I disliked how running made defense 0, it made it basically pointless to make the extra effort in finding etheral armours for good runewords, or a good defense stat.

But i guess it's somewhat balanced in the sense that running enabled you to straight up dodge and avoid attacks, whereas walking made you a sitting duck.

5. OhMan

OhMan Diablo: IncGamers Member

I hate running out of run energy. Get rid of it - just have a set walking speed.

6. reyoo

reyoo Diabloii.Net Member

FRW is back in the form of a Barb shout, Flux mentions in his write up of the arena.

7. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

As I understood it they wanted to give a feeling of "danger can be anywhere" so you run while not in a town where u know its safe.

As to how a feel if it in or not IDK either way really.

8. TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan Diabloii.Net Member

I'd actually enjoy it being gone in PvM, if the default is walk. It would alter the pace of the game in a positive way as far as game dynamics go. I know a lot of people will hate actually having to play the game rather than running mindlessly through dungeons to kill a single target over and over again. This way your char would actually have to be strong enough to fight his/her way there (which nine times out of ten is harder than just killing the boss).

9. Panopticon

Panopticon Diabloii.Net Member

Being able to run is 100% fine. The only problem that comes into play is if the player is able to move faster than most monsters (obviously not zombie and the like), and therefore, negate content/fights/confrontations.

There has to remain a sense of "stand your ground and fight...or die" instead of if the situation looks to difficult, just turn and run.

10. tcpgeest

tcpgeest Diabloii.Net Member

He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day > Stand your ground and fight, or die

11. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Running away =/= action in an ARPG.

12. Panopticon

Panopticon Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly...

13. pcguy

pcguy Diabloii.Net Member

The first time I played, I had run toggled off and was walking around everywhere. It was only when my friend came over did he show me that I could move faster. Throughout multiple installs, I have always disabled the run/walk toggle key whenever I install the game.

To me, the slower movement speed is useless. I am too impatient.

Whether walking slower to take less damage is a fun and challenging mechanic isn't really for me to decide, but I know I'd rather just run everywhere.

14. jamesL

jamesL Diabloii.Net Member

neither does teleport
    or cloak of shadows
    or dim vision
    or summoning 15 skeletons and sitting back while they do all the work

sometimes you have to run away -- cold sorceress surrounded by cold immunes

what's the point standing there casting a useless blizzard and frozen orb ??

15. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

You mean teleporting onto someone, making it easier to hit, putting up a defense, and actively attacking?

PS: building with no insight about the game isn't smart, action or no action. Running won't help a cold sorc against immunes; she's fubar.

16. ZharTheMad

ZharTheMad Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 1 did it right, imho. I mean, I was 8 or 9 when I played it, and the restricted movement gave you the urge to play cautiously, not run around, and run away when it suits you(D2)...

The Butcher scared me ****less on D1, and longed for that in D2. It never came...

D3, with somewhat limited mobility would scare the sh!t out of the new, younger generation of gamers. Or at least, I hope it does!

17. Cpdoom

Cpdoom Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't mind a toggle for run/walk in D3, but to exclude the ability to run would be a bad turn on what looks like fast paced combat. That is not to say you should outrun mobs, you shouldn't, you should fight your way not run or teleport to the boss.

I always hated and still hate when your low level character runs out of stamina in D2 though. I don't think it adds to the atmosphere it's just a chore what with having to carry stamina pots with you.

As it is I think the current speed of characters in D3 looks appropriate. You don't outrun everything yet you're not slow either.

18. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Then you might want to play the end of Act 2.

19. ZharTheMad

ZharTheMad Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks, I remembered that! Yeah, Duriel scared the sh!t out of me, I actually fell from my chair back then. I'm kinda claustrophobic, and that scene where a giant bug in a small room freaked me out.

20. Varquynne

Varquynne Diabloii.Net Member

It's an interesting and basic question - whether we'll be able to toggle run/walk. So far, in the floor demos at Blizzcons, I don't believe there has been the ability to do so. However, if we look at the Wizard and Monk reveal trailers, they've clearly created the walk animation (also for the Demon Hunter trailer, since they merely used the game engine to render a higher poly model of her). If only for flavor purposes, I'd like the ability to toggle run/walk.