Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo III: Hell invades...Auir?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Azymn, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Azymn

Azymn IncGamers Member

Diablo III: Hell invades...Auir?

I can't help but think that Blizzard has embedded some extra meaning with this teaser.

They've been very clear that all three franchises are represented by runes, which in both Diablo and World of Warcraft are combined to form an artifact of greater power than the sum of its parts. They have added a rune every day. Like building a runeword. As I'm writing this, I see that latest "rune" seems to be the three 'worlds' in orbit around a new one...

Stepping back, what would a straight Diablo III game offer in comparison to WoW? Every class, spell, weapon type, armor type, questing experience...nearly everything from Diablo is already represented in WoW. While it's possible to reskin many things into the darker Diablo art style is possible, the only fundamental gameplay differences would be the isometric view and the faster paced click-action-death-death-death system we all love.

In short, it looks like Diablo III would cannibalize WoW if it followed a natural iteration. Which explains why they haven't released it for so long. So what other options does Blizzard have in releasing Diablo III? When most of Blizzard North left, what did they make? Hellgate: London. It's probably not a stretch to say they brought many ideas over from the then-abandoned Diablo III project...

Blizzard is building a new "runeword" by adding a rune each day. A runeword that is greater than the sum of its parts. What's the end result?

The Worldstone is destroyed.

Hell invades the mortal realm. The entire mortal realm.

Earth. Azeroth. Auir. Char.

Marines fighting alongside Necromancers.
    Zealots and Druids bringing down Balrogs.
    Cloaked Ghosts sneaking up on a pack of Succubi.

Blizzard can preserve WoW for the pure fantasy buffs, and open up a new sci-fi/fantasy MMO to compete with Warhammer 40K. Win win. Minimized losses. Something for everyone. Warcraft got a world. Diablo gets the universe.

I get nervous and excited thinking about all the possibilities of crossing the three universes. What do you guys think?

2. Azymn

Azymn IncGamers Member

3. humblegar

humblegar IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo III: Hell invades...Auir?

I think that image just represents battle.net. But your post was well written even if I don't think you are right :)

Just think of the balance issues a.s.o That game would probably never be released even if they tried.

4. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

I also think that very improbable, but it was a cool idea!

5. JonnyK

JonnyK IncGamers Member

Since two of those "planets" are in the same orbit, i don't think that rune represents a solar system or planets at all. Can you guys think of anything else? Is it possible to have two planets in the same orbit without them ever striking eachother?

6. Metathrom

Metathrom IncGamers Member

It's Aiur, not Auir. ;)

7. Azymn

Azymn IncGamers Member

I knew I should've double-checked...that's gonna bug me.

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

diablo 3 can offer one thing that WoW and any other MMO can't (hellgate london doesn't count because it was a disaster), action RPG gameplay where you can accomplish anything and find any item you want and build any character you want with ZERO grouping

9. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Has anyone thought of some sort of anniversary?

10. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted IncGamers Member

WoW = fighting 1 mob at a time, 2 if you are tough, 3 if you are tough and the right class (got CC). 4 mobs tops if you blow your 1 hour or whatever cooldowns. Diablo: you start to meet packs of 5+ in the first cave, and later in the game you can, if you want, fight tens of mobs at a time. I don't really see how you can think it is the same.

But this theory fails simply because we got all Blizzard's franchises mentioned in a teaser leading to SC2. Put simply, it doesn't mean anything, it's just the way Blizzard chooses to tease apparantly, mentioning all it's titles. All that matter is the 'feel' of the teaser image as a whole. Right now we see evil eyes and a pentagram being formed.

11. Azymn

Azymn IncGamers Member

I agree that Diablo has more differences to WoW than my initial post would imply, I'm just not sure they are distinct enough to less experienced gamers entering the fantasy/RPG/MMO market, who may not appreciate the gameplay mechanics over the setting, characters, graphics, and scenery. When they see a choice between an old RPG and a new one, the new one probably wins out, which would compromise the older one's earnings.

I think Blizzard sees this, and it has caused delays in Diablo III's release because they don't want to undermine their current cash flow. I also think this means that they have a solution to this issue, and hopefully one not as a drastic as what I described above. In spite of the Warhammer-esque imagery I painted in my original post, I love Diablo II's pacing and pure fantasty setting, and I would prefer that it remains that way.

The franchise inclusion is a strong parallel to SC2's teaser, no argument there. I just think the runes are much more thematically binding and could actually mean more in this case. Likely just my excitement getting the best of me. =]

The feeling as a whole is what matters most, and it has a great feel.

12. panaxos

panaxos IncGamers Member

Three words: Blizzard Station Access - it works for SOE ;)

13. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I am not certain how you could get Starcraft to interact with the 2 fantasy games.

But, man if they managed it, wow.

Since, team 3 is only 40 people, I will say that it's going to be a standard blizzard iteration. Fun, but essentially the same jump which Diablo II was.

14. Jaydenz

Jaydenz IncGamers Member

I dont understand why everyone is saying that if they make diablo 3, it would "undermine their current cashflow from WoW"

If people buy diablo 3, isnt that money going to blizzard anyway? It all goes to the same place wether people play one game in their franchises or another. I have never understood peoples logic on this matter, perhaps you people could shed some light for me?

15. Akse

Akse Banned

Yeah and seeing that in 1-2 years after WotLK release I'm pretty sure WOw will start to get old and lose its popularity so they will have a new game at their sleeves at that moment. Actually 2 starcraft2 prolly coming this christmas or early next year? And maybe 1 year or 2 after that we will hopefully have diablo3.

Then some years after d3 there will be the next gen mmo that will take wow's place finally.