Diablo III Gold & RMAH Shutting Down

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member
Not sure if this has been discussed (probably has), but they absolutely have to come up with a functional and fun way to trade in the game that just doesn't exist right now. Chat channels aren't even implemented in the game. You can't name games. You can't even traverse acts.

I'm sure (kinda) that they'll come up with a solution, but this needs to be one of the first things Blizzard addresses. Put the fun back into the game.

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator
Sure, but there are at least two problems.

The first is that when trading is absolutely effortless, then as you increase the drop chances the likelyhood of people looking to trade won't drop by the same amount. You wouldn't halve the amount of traders by doubling the drop chances, not even close. Fixing the reliance on the AH would require absurd drop chances at this point, since people are used to getting what they want, when they want them.

Another problem is that people already accumulated a lot of gold. Increasing the supply of items would bring the prices down and you could use your previously earned money to buy everything even more easily. A complete economy wipe would solve this though, but doing that when the economy was in part fueled by real money would be a PR nightmare at the very least.
So you're saying that any sort of trading is a bad thing. If trading is too easy, that's a problem. Let's make trading difficult? As I said earlier, trading has always been integral to Diablo. Why are you wanting to eliminate trading? I do not understand the logic behind that sentiment.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member
Allow me to express myself in smilie form::fortune: ???? :rolf:.

So the cheats, farmers, and professional wholesalers got to them?

:point:

RIP.

The Burning Hells has plenty of room for new business development.

Yes, I am a greatly superior being.

But personal superiority aside, I think the power gamer mentality is toxic to most video games and not catering to their thirst for power over fun can only be a good thing.
Unless loot 2.0 comes complemented with skills 2.0 (among other things), I would not bet on this surgery solving a particular problem.

Thankfully you came along to piss off both groups by assuming they are one and the same.
There are some remarkable similarities.

Okay, so what would happen if they would increase the drop rates?
The first thing to realize is that when the AHs are closed, the prices of all desirable items will increase due to slightly less available storage, and significantly less opportunities to sell or buy the items in question (the seller and buyer both have to be willing to trade at a particular time). The drop rates would have to be commensurate with that increase, or tradespam will be all over the place. Do not forgot to make a private game, either.

Making games going by what your players think they want right now, is a really stupid idea no matter what. And not exactly something Blizzard has usually done either. That only comes after release
On the contrary, it's what Blizzard has been doing since WoW. The whole RMAH idea was instated for mostly that reason (AH skim aside). I'd like to see them back up their boast that they're seeking a new core gameplay, but I won't hold my breath. One need only review Diablo 2's shadow economy to see how easily loot would have to drop (if that is the only factor changed) to discourage their counterparts in d3.

The self-founders can cheer. The power gamers can cry. Good on Blizzard for siding with the right team.
Have they now?

Last edited:

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member
I have nothing against the AH and RMAH, it was a huge improvement. The only ones complaining are the d2 fanboys who refuse to look outside their pathetic bubble and trolls who don't even play the game trying to add fuel to the fire.

I never like D2's style of trading, spending hours upon hours finding a buyer or seller is so frustrating and time consuming. Long time supporter of D3 and am still enjoying the game now. Really disappointed with this, hopefully they would think of something better than bringing back the awfully horrible era of WUG WUW spammage.

And now with that medium for trading and for selling items for real money gone the 3rd party sites will stand to gain even more again. A certain such popular site that deals with FG will ruin the economy again like it did to D2, sigh such a huge disappointment with this decision, I bet that greedy *** who runs that seedy site would have wet his pants now.

UnicronV

Diabloii.Net Member
WOW!!!!

I can't wait to have more hackers, at least the value of my items will go up and D2JSP will get flooded with everything now... COOL!

They might as well add single player offline while they're at it.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member
And now with that medium for trading and for selling items for real money gone the 3rd party sites will stand to gain even more again. A certain such popular site that deals with FG will ruin the economy again like it did to D2, sigh such a huge disappointment with this decision, I bet that greedy *** who runs that seedy site would have wet his pants now.
Spoken like a d3 fanboy.

The guy who runs that site provides a service to his clients. I may not like how it affects some of the games I play, but I think I'm learning to respect that point of view, which is more than I can say about Blizzard with regard to Diablo 3.

TheDarkSide

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore
As someone that doesn't get to play 24 hours a day Im kind of dejected that the AH is going away. WHY ?? Because the meager gold I collect allows me to search the AH for items to UPGRADE my toons as WE all KNOW nothing that drops is worth using, except the occasional ELITE that will sell and give you some gold to BUY other things you need. Now - If they are going to make DROPS useful then Im all for it.. I totally self equipped all my D2 characters and the only thing I hate about D3 is the fact that I cannot do that and MUST use the AH to aquire items for INFERNO mode. Im really comfortable if I can FIND my own items and really that's the best method for this game IMO. Hoping for the best, I cannot afford the top end items anyways so IF I can find my own stuff Ill be happy !!!

Darkflight

Diabloii.Net Member
Removing the AH won't fix the problems that are keeping me from playing the game now and will keep me from buying the expansion. I really don't care either way.

yovargas

Diabloii.Net Member
I have nothing against the AH and RMAH, it was a huge improvement. The only ones complaining are the d2 fanboys who refuse to look outside their pathetic bubble and trolls who don't even play the game trying to add fuel to the fire.
And Jay Wilson and Josh Mosquiera and enough people at Blizzard to say "cut it".

TheNix

Diabloii.Net Member
I hope that if we are ALL going to be forced to find the items we need, Blizzard are going to give us the extra storage space we need to keep all these extra items.

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh wow, I never thought they'd actually do it. This is incredible.

To me, the AH has always been in direct opposition to the core addiction of Diablo: "maybe the next monster I kill will give me what I'm looking for." Getting rid of it will allow Blizz to re-evaluate that core with a new perspective.

Hundreds of millions of items drop per day, and currently anything remotely decent ends up on the AH. What this means is that the AH is essentially just a database of all the usable items in the game which people can just browse and pick what they want. How is that a fun way to get powerful in a video game? Replacing the AH with the combination of a good chance of finding your own items and an efficient way to trade on a smaller scale will completely revitalize this game for me.

Blizzard cannot change human nature; certain people want to get everything with as little effort as possible, and certain people will attempt to exploit anyone/anything that they can. Let these people meet up on 3rd party sites, scam, hack, steal and do whatever crap they want to each other. You can't solve idiocy with a video game. Blizzard's priority should always be people who want to play the game because it's fun and rewarding.

If they can implement a smart trading system that avoids trade chat (aka spam city) altogether, this will be a huge win. In order to be effective, trading needs to require a little bit of effort instead of the totally hands-off anonymous process it is now. Here are my rough thoughts on this:

• Ditch trade channels. They're just machineguns of trade spam.
  • Secure the trade window with a 2-step acknowledgement. First OK locks in both players' items and gives them a chance to re-examine. Second OK actually commits the trade.
  • Implement an "I'm looking for" trade system that behaves like so:
    1. You open a UI that lets you log entries as "I'm looking for a [level range] [rarity] [general or specific item type] that has [up to three specific affixes]" or "I'm looking for [quantity] [commodity]."
    2. After specifying, you optionally state either the gold range you're willing to pay, or "trade only."
    3. In your inventory/stash, you can mark items you have as available for trade, and specify the gold range you're looking to receive, or "trade only." These items continue to take up space in your inventory, forcing you to be realistic about what is worth trading.
    4. The game trade engine scans for potential trade matches, and provides you with a list (~5 max) of options for each thing you're looking to acquire.
    5. If you see something you like, you contact the person through the trade UI, and they get a notification.
    6. If they accept, you both get temporarily portaled to a trade game or something where you conduct a "face to face" negotiation and can show off other items you have (no restriction on only completing the marked transaction).
    7. When you exit, you get put right back where you came from.
    8. If you don't like any of the options presented to you, you can clear them and your request will go back into the trade engine queue (10 minute wait time?)

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member
:guiness:
Let's remove the AH so we can re-implement half of its functionality.
Then add trade-request spam, because what you really want is your run interrupted at every crucial moment.

lordofdistraction

Diabloii.Net Member
Surprised to read this. Pleasantly surprised. This probably means I'll have to start paying attention to how RoS is received. Perhaps this is the first step towards bringing me back to the game...*shrugs* Time will tell.

ShadowMatrix

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh wow, I never thought they'd actually do it. This is incredible.

To me, the AH has always been in direct opposition to the core addiction of Diablo: "maybe the next monster I kill will give me what I'm looking for." Getting rid of it will allow Blizz to re-evaluate that core with a new perspective.

Hundreds of millions of items drop per day, and currently anything remotely decent ends up on the AH. What this means is that the AH is essentially just a database of all the usable items in the game which people can just browse and pick what they want. How is that a fun way to get powerful in a video game? Replacing the AH with the combination of a good chance of finding your own items and an efficient way to trade on a smaller scale will completely revitalize this game for me.

Blizzard cannot change human nature; certain people want to get everything with as little effort as possible, and certain people will attempt to exploit anyone/anything that they can. Let these people meet up on 3rd party sites, scam, hack, steal and do whatever crap they want to each other. You can't solve idiocy with a video game. Blizzard's priority should always be people who want to play the game because it's fun and rewarding.
These people are the ones claiming "ALL of us" are suddenly going to start using 3rd party sites because there isn't an AH. This is entirely false and ironic because only someone with their mind set would reason this out, it is THEM who will be using these 3rd party sites not those of us who felt forced to use the AH. I never felt forced to use a 3rd party site not once in D2 EVER. I loved barter trading in D2 and I could always rely on myself to find items I wanted because the drop rates were not based on an AH system.

Keeping godly items within a few clicks IE Auction House is too tempting not to use and with the abysmal drop rate it only encouraged it. But when it comes to 3rd party sites. NO I do not want to give up my personal information therefore I WILL NOT feel inclined to use 3rd party sites. They're also not "a few clicks" away from obtaining an item. I'll be able to focus on killing monsters to obtain my items

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member
You know what's insane? Everyone thumping the drum and saying THANK GOD THANK GOD the game is saved!

Um...no one twisted your arm to use the AH. It was essentially an AI trading partner where otherwise meaningless gold earned from in game or your own AH sales could have been used in place of a trading partner. People wanted a scape goat for D3 to be a failure and the AH was it when no one who hated it had to use it and people refuse to play, buy or learn the game because of it. Makes sense.

Edit: I never got past Nightmare in D3 cause I am no longer a high school kid who has endless summers to play Diablo 2 (those were amazing days), but that still doesn't excuse people who are raining hate on an optional feature in a decent game. Is it D2 LOD? Nope, nor will anything be. If PoE or any of the other ARPG were called Diablo 3 people would be pissed. Tis the reputation of a perfect game that Diablo 2 (LOD, this is still important for rage fan boys to remember, D2 isn't the best game of all time, D2 + LOD is) that a sequel could never live up to the hype of the predecessor.

Double Edit: A certain website was popular enough that a large base of Diablo fans know of a "better" way to trade that involves real money, yet Blizzard implements it to discredit these people making large amounts of cash their license they didn't make and no one complains. It's basically a load of bullcrap. The hate for the AH is unfair, and ridiculous because what it accomplished will 100% live outside of the game now that Blizzard is shutting it down.

Last edited:

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Um...no one twisted your arm to use the AH.
Really, you can't be serious. You've already made it so clear that you're a person who doesn't have the time to do runs or farming. The AH was made for you AND you will get better gear from using it than actually playing the game. WTF are you talking about man?

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
Let's remove the AH so we can re-implement half of its functionality.
Then add trade-request spam, because what you really want is your run interrupted at every crucial moment.
What I described is a trading system, not an auction system, but the two obviously have some commonalities. The mechanics behind the AH weren't all bad, it was the scale to which it was implemented and the lack of effort required to sell that created problems. The idea of looking beyond your own item pool for upgrade/dream gear is not a bad thing, it just needs to be limited so that a transaction requires some restraint and actual human interaction.

The system I described makes it a buyer's market. Sellers could not list ridiculous prices because the trade engine would simply not show their listing to anyone. Sellers could also not flood the market because you're not given an invisible bucket to drop your unwanted items into. And if someone tries to screw you over or bait and switch, just block 'em and you'll never see their trades again. It ain't perfect, but it's just an idea and it's a hell of a lot better than "WTS!!! WUG??"

And it would be easy to prevent request spam:
  • You'd only get notifications if you have items marked available for trade anyway.
  • Make the notification simply a little icon indicating there's a request waiting. You respond when you want to.
  • Only allow one active request per item you have available.
  • Could implement a DND status if you really don't want to be bothered at the moment.

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member
Really, you can't be serious. You've already made it so clear that you're a person who doesn't have the time to do runs or farming. The AH was made for you AND you will get better gear from using it than actually playing the game. WTF are you talking about man?
Well let's see. If I wanted to play self found (which I enjoy) what's stopping me from doing it? If I want to trade with another player, the gold auction house was there to allow me to bypass sitting in a chat channel (something I actually enjoyed in D2, but the AH is faster and is less scamable) and last of all, if the real money AH didn't exist in Diablo 3's main game, it would be available outside of the game and would be an unregulated crap shoot of people stealing my real life money where I make a deal and cross my fingers that they are legits.

So what are you talking about?