Diablo II Dual monitor support?

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
Diablo II Dual monitor support?

Hey guys,

I did not know where to post this so here goes. i got a radeon 9600XT and im running two monitors with an extended desktop. i want to run diablo on the main monitor and still have access to the desktop on the second monitor. is this possiblable without running diablo in a window? has anyone got this working on their own system? any insight into this would be great :thumbsup:

- Toxis

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey,

I'm don't have that much experience with duel monitors, but I'll see if I can offer anything that might help you.

The short answer is yes, I do believe you can run the game on one monitor, and view desktop and what-not on another. Oddly, I've seen more posts where people have trouble playing a game on two monitors (ie, what you don't want to do) :thumbsup:

Edit: Actually, I need to do abit of searching, but have you tried playing the game without extended desktop mode enabled?

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the repy :thumbsup:

If i disable the extended desktop there is no display for the second monitor :( i know when you run D2 because it is in 800x600 resolution it messes with the resolution of the second monitor unless you change your destop resolution to 800x600 before you run d2 (or place the monitor on the left, this is a directx problem.. anyone know of a solution to this?) the main problem is that once into diablo the cursor will not transpher between monitors as it does when you move to the edge of the screen in windows. however the 1.10 patch does clearly say that it holds dual monitor support.

- Toxis

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, is it because of the cursor problem that you want to play D2 on a single monitor while leaving the other one on desktop? It sounded to me like you wanted to have the other one there so you can check out info, or chat on msn or something :thumbsup:

What operating system are you using, btw? Is it WinXP?

Toxis said:
i know when you run D2 because it is in 800x600 resolution it messes with the resolution of the second monitor unless you change your destop resolution to 800x600 before you run d2 (or place the monitor on the left, this is a directx problem.. anyone know of a solution to this?)
A possible solution to this might be right-click on the Diablo II.exe and tick the box "run under 800x600" (or something similar to that). I don't know which tab it's under, as I'm not at my home computer.

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes i do wish to use the second monitor to chat on msn and look on etf lol :thumbsup: the problem is i would be able to but the curosr in diablo will not move onto the second monitor it just stops and the edge of the first. even thought the cursor should move onto the next montior so i can use msn and eft, but diablo seems to be preventing this from happening

- Toxis

Decebal

Diabloii.Net Member
Toxis said:
Yes i do wish to use the second monitor to chat on msn and look on etf lol :thumbsup: the problem is i would be able to but the curosr in diablo will not move onto the second monitor it just stops and the edge of the first. even thought the cursor should move onto the next montior so i can use msn and eft, but diablo seems to be preventing this from happening

- Toxis
Use 2 computers :D :D :D

/Dec

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Toxis said:

- Toxis
Ahh, I understand now. You're already capable of setting it up so D2 only takes up 1 screen, and the desktop is on the other. I thought you had it so D2 takes up both screens :lol:.

I don't know whether it's possible or not. There's isn't very many settings you can change in D2, which means that if you can't do it now, then you might not be able to do it at all (unless it's something to do with your video card settings). There isn't really much else that I can tell you, until I get an reply back from some people that I've sent this to (who know alot more about this then I do :lol: ).

I remember someone telling me about his setup one time and it sounded like he was able to chat and what-not at the same time as playing the game. It was awhile ago, but I don't think my memory's that bad :thumbsup:

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
yes dec, thats an idea but my brother has the other :p

ok orphan that sounds good ill watch this space for any replys that you get. (if you could post them here i would love you for ever and ever :lol: ) ill have a look round myself and a mess with the video card settings Hyrdavision may have an option to enable this. thanks for your help i hope you get some replys

- Toxis

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
I had a dual monitor setup running for a while without any problems, but I was using two video cards, so I don't how much I can help. I think you're problem might be in the settings for your video card/display. You might want to root around in them for an option like "lock desktop when running a program in full screen" or something less obvious. Be somewhat careful though, you probably don't want to be changing random settings.

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for the reply im at work at the moment ill have a hunt when im home :thumbsup:

- Toxis

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Toxis said:
no luck, had some virus problems but im back now... any fresh ideas?

- Toxis
I'm still waiting a second response. The only one I received so far is to use Window mode, but we already know that. Out of interest sake, if you do use window mode, do you need to alt-tab out of Diablo in order to get the cursor to go across monitors (ie, is it still locked in the window?).

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
Even running in a windowed mode i have to alt-tab to move the cursor to the next screen.

- Toxis

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
Toxis said:
Even running in a windowed mode i have to alt-tab to move the cursor to the next screen.

- Toxis
That's extremely interesting. Do you have the same problem for other games/programs?

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
thegiantturtle said:
That's extremely interesting. Do you have the same problem for other games/programs?
Out of interest sake, what games have you been able to successfully play over multi-monitor?

I think the only way you'll be able to move the mouse between monitors is if the game actually incorporates it into the game design(like Microsoft's Flight Simulator). I don't think we'll be able to do it with D2, since DirectX's full screen mode creates a canvas which will probably keep the mouse locked in(it looks the same for Window mode).

The only way this would be possible is if the multi-monitor video card can sort of "override" this. Even for that, it would vary from card to card (got that from the last email I received).

Toxis, have you tried to contact the video card manufacturer, and see what they say on the subject?

Toxis

Diabloii.Net Member
I have not tried contacting them as of yet. ill try tonight. i have not attempted the dual monitor screens with any other games as i have only had the setup running for a short while. i was just hoping to play diablo on one and then move the cursor over to the second monitor (displaying the desktop) and talk on msn or something

- Toxis