Diablo freezing like no other

Diablo freezing like no other

For some reason, diablo has been freezing at least 10 times a night. It does not freeze on my laptop though. Sometimes I can get back into windows, sometimes it is a cold restart. Sometimes I hear like a skipping sound, sometimes I can hear the game as usual but frozen. I play with the cd in and it freezes and I even take it out when I get onto Bnet and it freezes. here are my specs:

Windows xp home SP2
Athlon 64 3200+
2 gb pc3200 ram
250gb hitachi hdd
geforce 7800gt 256mb

Thanks!

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
The next time it freezes, wait about 5 seconds, click the right-mouse button once or twice and try to ALT+Tab out of the game. There should be an error message in the background. Instead of pressing ALT+Tab, you could press the spacebar, but this will close down D2 and the error message as well (if one exist).

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
download spybot, adaware and hijackthis to check for any bad programs that may be running in the background

I have all those and I run them every night. I even uninstalled and reinstalled diablo. it has been doing this for a while and still does it even after I formatted my hdd and reinstalled windows, so I have no idea what to do next.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
only other thing might be failing hardware, can you run 3dmark or pcmark without any errors?

Not running in windowed mode and all my other games run just fine. I was able to play for a bit after reinstalling diablo. Will see how it holds up now :)