Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo Clone Follies

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by kungfumonkey, Nov 8, 2006.

1. kungfumonkey

kungfumonkey IncGamers Member

Diablo Clone Follies

I recently started playing D2 after a couple year break. I am by no means a 1337 player. I am building up a Fishymancer, who is my only character at the moment. He does not have any godly gear, and I have not used any of his stat points yet. My merc is in poor shape as well, wearing some random rares that I have found from NM cows (I haven't beaten Hell yet, and am still on A3).

Twice thise week I have been in games where "Diablo Walks the Earth" the first time I was lvl 55, and not really clear on what to do. I ended up exiting the game. I finally did some research here on the boards and found out what I needed to do. Last nite around 1030EST I made a game and was questing for Cain I had just reach lvl 62 so I could start wearing my Shako, when I saw the SOJ counter going up. I then decided to go and find a skill shrine and get my army at full strength.

I then chilled in town until the screen shook at 1130EST. Then I went looking for the ole DC. I went searching for him in the cave in the Blood Moore. I felt that with the tight quarters I could be able to hide from some of his attacks. Sure enough I found him in there.

First thing he did was kill off my merc, then 1/2 my army then me. I sent wave after wave at him, but I had no real way to chip away a large amount of his health, plus he regens like crazy. I do not have any items with tele on it yet either, so I had skellies and revives running everywhere.

After about 10 waves of skellies and revives, enough that there were not any bodies left in close proximity to all of the wps I posses. I decided to whisper a guy that I transfer with sometimes to come help me. He comes and brings his Blizz sorc. No good, he then brings his zealer, no good. He then whispers to 2 other guys he knows to come help. They bring zealers. After the Zealers die about 10 times each, one of them starts to hold his ground. In the mean time my army has pretty much been destroyed except for gumby who is fighting bravely. So, I do all that I can pretty much do which is cast amp and recast gumby and spam teeth from time to time. Eventually the zealer is able to whittle away his health while both of the other 2 are continuously being killed everytime they re-enter the cave. Finally and painfully with the bodies of 100s of fallen minions strewn about the dark cave the Diablo Clone was slain at 1235EST.

Sure enough the Annihulus dropped. I consider my self a generous person, and I know I could not of done it without the help of the zealer. So I paused. I waited a second or 2 to see if he was going to pick up the charm. He did not, so I grabbed it. Then the other players started cursing me out, and saying that I was a leech and I did nothing to help. Was I in the wrong for taking the charm?

2. Ludacris

Ludacris Banned

Well, It was your charm. You created that game and tried to beat him a couple of times. When you couldn't finish the job you asked someone to HELP you. So really its your charm. If they didn't agree they shouldn't have helped or told you that they would want the charm.

Btw, they also leeched and did nothing because they kept getting killed. If the other didn't pick it up. Why dont you?

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Keep the charm. The others did nothing as well. Whoever had taken it, the others would have started cursing like that anyway. It was your game , so it was an issue between you and the zealot who did the work at the end.

BTW, a zealot should have no problems at all versus the clone. The trick is not to use zeal, but smite (which aways hits and bypasses blocking, so one skill point is enough and it's a holy shield prereq anyway) together with equipment which provides a chance to deal crushing blows, like Goreriders or Guillaume's helm. Wearing Dracul's saves a lot of potions, but they are not really needed versus the clone (unlike versus the Tristram übers)..

4. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Zealots dying 10 times on DC? Wow, that reminds me of the first (and only) time I fought him, with absolutely pitiful life and resist. But then, this is late season 3, where everyone, their mother, and their goldfish should have a uber killer by now (or at least if they want to help anyways). And next time, you should have done the "right thing" (cast lifetap) instead of casting amp. At least the zealots will live longer with lifetap.

5. jag

jag IncGamers Member

probably would have been a good idea to have it agreed upon who gets anni before even inviting anyone else into the game.

Without setting that up before hand - I would have assumed its up for the taking. I personally would have snagged that thing the instant it dropped if no prior agreement was made and my help was the only reason the dclone was even killed.

You were lucky to open a game on a dclone server -- but if you cant kill the dclone, you hardly deserve the prize for killing him.

Now if you were a friend, I would gladly help you kill him for you to get an anni, but these people didnt sound like close aquaintences.

6. AnimeCraze

The person who did DC did not attempted to take it. It's the weak players who are cursing.

Next time, you might want to ask in the help forum for someone more reliable (don't post game name/pass though), :tongue: if you are lucky enough for him to spawn again, or that you want to do trist. Even better yet, get yourself a budget uber killer, and show DC who's the real boss.

7. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

if I was you I'd keep the anni. after all when we're asked to help someone goes without say we're there to help. not to keep the anni. and if we dont want that? the answer is easy: we state at the very beginning that we wont help without then keeping the anni. this way you then have the choice to say yes or no to our help

8. kungfumonkey

I would of liked to cast either lifetap or decrep, but I only have the 1 point into Amp. All my points have gone into maxing CE, RS, and SM thus far. Eventually I probably will have more curses at my disposal.

I did not know there was a help forum here. I will try that again, especially if my luck keeps like it has, but I will just let people know so they can get an Anni for themselves.

I plan on being better prepared next time we meet though.

Oh BTW the stats on the Anni were 20/17/9, which is pretty good right?

9. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

thats pretty good :)

10. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

I completely disagree with this. If I was asked to help a friend, or a friend's friend, I would assume it's to get the anni for them because they can't themselves, not 'whoever kills him for me gets it'. I think he'd mention that if that were the case, and wouldn't call in help if he wanted to keep it and knew whoever kills him gets it.

'After about 10 waves of skellies and revives, enough that there were not any bodies left in close proximity to all of the wps I posses.' <---- To me, this sounds like he deserves it. Saying he didn't deserve just because he didn't kill him makes no sense. I killed Dclone pretty easy with my zealot & summoner, yet I think he deserves his more than me:grin:

To the OP:
    You weren't in the wrong. What did they expect you to do? Go up and start hitting him with your wand? You've already tried plenty before they even came into the game lol. Nice anni stats! Congrats!:cool:

11. kungfumonkey

Thank you, I felt kinda crummy last nite afterwards. Thinking maybe I had been greedy or short changed my help.

12. k/t

k/t Banned

It's yours. You made the game. They were just there to help. Also, consider that the friend you brought in didn't take the Anni because he was holding one already.

Next time, if you start seeing several SOJ messages, post in the Help thread and get someone trustworthy from these forums to kill DClone for you. Do NOT post the game and the pw. Leave your account name or ask for a private message, so you can assess the trustworthiness of the person who's offering to help, and check your messages frequently. Also make sure to specify the realm.

Jag, if a common friend tells me you need our help to push your car so it will start, as soon as we get it going, I'm gonna get in and drive away.

13. AnimeCraze

Better than what I have, for sure, much better.

14. Generator

Generator IncGamers Member

well one thing is for sure, with a 20/17/9 anni, you won't be poor anymore, lol. That should sell for 25+ hrs on US west scl.

15. cyncyn

cyncyn IncGamers Member

You may not have Life Tap as a skill, but it should be very easy for you to shop for a wand with +1-3 Life Tap. Keep it in your stash for special occasions.

16. jag

jag IncGamers Member

I am not really saying he was wrong to take it -- just pointing out that the people who took the time and effort to help him didn't seem to know they were doing a favor for someone. By his own admission these were not friends that helped -- rather friends of an aquaintence. Did they know that the anni wasn't going to be thiers when they came in?

That second or two of generosity you waited is often a graphical lag for players when a boss dies not allowing characters to move or items to be seen or picked up.

You have anni, you keep it. Just think in future at least try to have agreement in place before hand so there arent arguements after.

17. k/t

k/t Banned

And remember that some people from these forums will kill DClone for you and let you keep the Anni.

18. GameFellow

GameFellow IncGamers Member

I think the anni should go to you, no question!

Also, one thing I have found helpful when fighting DC is to have maxed fire resists and fire absorb if possible (Drawf star ring is helpful). Just stash any gear with fire resists and pull it out when you meet up with DC.

Best of luck on your next run-in with DC.