Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Two-Handed Weapon Damage Bonus Buffed Again

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_379481" align="alignright" width="316"][​IMG] Like this, but bigger. Art by VegasMike.[/caption]Diablo 3 developer John Yang popped into the forums last week to revealed their plans to make two-handed weapons more viable. Check that post if you missed it and want the full story and theory, but basically the idea is to buff the damage of 2H weapons. Yes, bigger damage. As I often point out during podcast discussions, making video games is hard. The initial plan was 23-26% more damage, with related changes to the Crusader's Heavenly Strength skill.

Today brings more news. Newer news. Bigger news about two-handed weapons. Yep, you guessed it... BIGGER NUMB3RS!

Diablo 3 Two-Handed Weapon Damage Bonus Buffed Again:

I was going to roll a crusader on seasons. Now that the damage increase does not apply to items below 70, it's actually harmful to use the heavenly strength passive. You're better off going with a one hander and using the one hander passive instead.

So either buff two handers below lvl 70, or remove the damage reduction for crusader below lvl 70. Either one is fine with me.

Grimiku: We're planning on expanding the level range for the retroactive damage buff to 2-handed weapons, so that it will include item levels 10-70 in patch 2.1. One of the benefits of this change is that it should help lower level Crusaders feel like Heavenly Strength is still a good choice. The percent of increased damage will still be based on the weapon speed, and not based on item level. So, lower level items will receive the same base percent damage increase as their higher level counterparts.

Additionally, we're adjusting the amount of increased damage from 23-26% to 26-30%.

What about the 2H Bows and Xbows you forgot about the DH again we don't need buf on the weapons just gonna plat sentries we have the M6... what if someone don't have the set of don't want to use it?!?
    Grimiku: Currently the changes to increase baseline 2-handed weapon damage will only be for melee, since 2-handed ranged weapons are already performing the way we want them to.

John Yang: Currently, 2-Handed Crossbows/Bows are very competitive with 1-Handed Crossbows because Demon Hunters can use a quiver with any bow type and as a result, 2-Handed Crossbows/Bows do not require a rebalance.[source]http://diablo.incgamers.com/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/13506990638[/source]

Most of the comments you guys left on the two-handed buff news last week felt that the damage buff wasn't big enough, and that just adding damage might *never* be enough to offset the loss of 4-6 additional primary affixes and maybe a second legendary affix that characters get from an off-hand or dual wielding. (Especially for Hardcore, because survival.) I don't see 4% more damage changing that issue at all. Seems to me 2H weapons still need to jump up to 6 primary affixes, or get a second socket, or they'll continue to be ignored aside in a very few mega-damage cases, such as Skorn from D3v.

[poll id="166"]​
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.