Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3: The Prequel

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JoeBruce, Jun 23, 2015.

1. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

Several months ago I purchased Diablo 3 on my fancy new xbox. I've played it a fair amount, with one character at max level and a couple others pretty close. It's a fun game. But it's no Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 is always installed on my computer. I can always come back to my single player characters, and they're always happy to see me (except when I deed someone for not having played in forever - learned that lesson once or twice :)). I've been playing a bit of Diablo 2 lately, because it just has such a level of replayability most games do not. I don't see Diablo 3 ever gripping like this game has; there are few other games which have or could.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience, playing (and liking) Diablo 3, but in the end finding their way back home? Any ideas why? I think a lot of it has to do with the skill system and item generation - they are both very different in Diablo 3. They have their own pros/cons, but in the end Diablo 2 seems to have a much higher replay value.

Any other thoughts on a game which continues to bring players, new and old, back to the quest? (Almost 15 years later! D2 anniversary is June 29th! (I just looked it up))

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I took a ten month holiday from D2 to play D3. Like all holidays it was enjoyable to get away, but it made me appreciate home all the more!

Southpaw8668 and kestegs like this.
  3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I've noticed a trend with modern games. The beginning is fun because the difference in classes shines, and each class has different playstyles. This allows players who have different personal skill sets to find their niche and do well at different periods during the growth stage. But the endgame is always pretty much the same, which discourages replayability and ultimately makes you buy another game. Great for the company, not so great for the customer.

It also seems that most modern games converge onto a single playstyle, a single point. There's no room for individuality or player skill, you just end up chasing percentages. It's just hard stats. Diablo 3 even goes so far as to tell you the exact percentage that a particular item will be better or worse. They don't even trust the players to do arithmetic.

In Diablo 2, there's no hard stats. An item might be better or worse depending on your personal playstyle and player skill. For example, which is the better mace: Nord's Tenderizer or Horizon's Tornado? Well that depends on whether or not you're facing a lot of physical immunes who happen to be vulnerable to cold damage. Horizon's has slows target, wait but the Nord's has freezes target. Oh and don't forget about the cold absorb on the Nord's, or the ctc Tornado on the Horizon's.

At that point, you just have to try both maces and see, which is the whole point of playing the game in the first place. See what they did there? You want to play the game some more.

Diablo 2 is quite simply a game that rewards ingenuity, dexterity, and diligence better than almost anything I've played in the last decade, which is why I'm still here.

Southpaw8668 and BBS_Agonistes like this.
  4. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

I too was very excited when D3 was finally released and ran out and purchased the collectors battle chest. First tried out the Monk, as the trailers had me super stoked about his gameplay mechanics, but I just couldn't finish the game with him. I tried the Witchdoctor and got slightly farther, but still no victory. I lost interest and started playing D2 back on the ladder and was having a ton of fun. Then D3 expansion was released and I was once again drawn into the Crusader class and the fixed Loot2 that was announced as well. I feel they must have made the game somewhat more manageable or the Crusader with all the uniques that were dropping like crazy for me was just a bit OP. I finally finished the game, but nothing coaxed me to go further in difficulty as D2 does for me again and again. I then stumbled onto the D2 SPF and I have once again found an all new appreciation for D2 after realizing all the overlooked game mechanics through following and experiencing first hand in the various tournaments. Not sure how much longer I can wring the fun out of this old classic, but it doesn't appear to be anytime soon the fun will end, as long as the SPF stays online and all the great tournament ideas keep coming up. [emoji2]

5. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Been playing this game since the day LoD was released. I haven't done half the things I know about, and probably know about half the things there are. I think we all go through phases of wax/wane (well, maybe everyone except Pharphis and nulio) but that campfire is always burning...