Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 - Story

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by BaGan, Jun 27, 2008.

1. BaGan

BaGan IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 - Story

Hello there.

I've been a longtime lurker on these forums, but in these exciting times (D3) I had to get a profile here.

Anyway, one thing that I havent read anything about on these forums.. What do people thing of the story in Diablo 3?

In the end of D2:LOD everyone of the brothers have been destroyed (their soulstone smashed and was sent to the abyss) and even the worldstone gets corrupted beyond repair and gets destroyed too.

I know many people think that Tyreal becomes evil, but I'm not so sure. Maybe when the Worldstone gets destroyed, the link between the world, hell, heaven AND the abyss vanish too?

Whats your theory?

2. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 - Story

Here is something I posted elsewhere which I will copy here. Enjoy.

The hero(s) who killed baal in D2 step through the red portal that Tyreal makes and they unknowingly spend eternity going back in time reapeatedly doing the same quests over and over getting infinitely powerful. It is sort of a paradise for them, as they have become addicted to the power gain. But it is also a hell from which they can never retire from. See, the portal was too close to the corrupted worldstone, and it tinkered with the hero's minds and, at the same time, contorted the dimensions of reality to allow multiple plains to exist (but only for those in the red portal). Whenever the heros finish the last quest, they step though the red portal again, and yet again Tyreal throws the sword at the worlstone and we can see the rippling nova radiating. The portal gets hit with the ripple, and this happens to the heros every time for the rest of eternity. So that takes care of them. Now, the rest of the world is screwed becasue as someone else said, the pieces of the corrupted worldstone fly all over the place in the end-game animation. They get scattered all over the world and corrupt everyone. Tyreal or someone higher up sees that all of the world has become evil.
    So Tyreal looks down and (in D3) picks out people who he thinks can save the world. He removes their evil, and they suddenly wake up realizing they are wearing black, evil armor etched with demon worshiping symbols. Tyreal's magic causes this gear to dissolve off them and the players start as naked humans with nothing more than a white rags tied around their waists (and chests for female heros). Tyreal also gives them a safe sanctuary and their choice of weapon from the armories of Heaven. They are now briefly told what they should do by Tyreal and set off to kill everything in the world. The people they are killing are summoner necros, unholy paladins, druids who made themselves undead to live forever (come on, who ever heard of a good werewolf?), and other former D2 heros. Remember, these are the total jerks we saw in D2--paladins dueling, a bunch of greedy mfer sorcs, "heros" who call ppl "noob" all day, barbarian brats, etc. All must be eliminated from the world by the new hero classes.
    Keep in mind, D2 did a lot of D1 bashing: the designers burned Tristram, killed everything except the essential Cain, killed off (and corrupted) the warrior hero, and tortured the rogues. Maybe D3 will follow that tradition and spew out all the D2 characters.
    As for Lilith, Baal, and others from the expansion, well none of that may matter in D3. It was just an expansion. I'm uncertain, but the D1 expansion didn't have concepts afffecting the core story of D2. They just rolled on with the story starting off with the warrior returning to Tristram, celebrating, then the problems happening from the souldstone in his head. Maybe, then, Blizzard will just say Baal is dead/banished, Ubbers--same deal.
    I think Tyreal should remain a good character. In my idea, he looks at the big mess he's made and has to carry the horrible weight of what he did (turning the world evil by shattering the corrupted worldstone). In fact, doesn't Anya say she was surprised that Nithalik did not have the worldstone on his person? That shows us how little the world knows of the true size of the worldstone. So the world has no defense against the debree that corrupts them. Just because I like Amazons, let's say the zons manage to flee to the arcane sanctuary where the broken lumber of the worldstone didn't land, then they go home to the Amazon Islands. There are no evil amazons there becasue every last amazon left to fight in the first place.
    I like the Chuck Noris idea too. Maybe the cow levels were all just one of Cuck Noris' dreams.
    Tyreal must make absolutely sure that he has chosen the right heros to kill the corrupted heros. He keeps them in the dark about Diablo, who has become more powerful than ever now that he has the whole world on his side. The heros must learn of Diablo on their own without too much intervention from the archangels. Tyreal and other angels also give them quests and challenges along the way so the heros can prove their worth. The heros start off at lev 0 (because Tyreal memory-wipes them), but whatever build they make for themsevles turns out to be their skill set of their former selves when they were evil. This gives the heros a sense of deja vu, and an edge to help explain how they are learning their skills at such a fast pace. This time though, they follow the path of good, but also have the choice of using some very evil skills. After all, the skills are already embeded in their implicit memory from when they were evil. An example of implicit memory is riding a bicyle. They are sworn to only use their evil skills for some greater good of serving Heaven. However, this causes a complex war to rage on inside their souls. They can choose to not invest in any of their evil skills, but this makes the game much harder.

3. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I highly doubt Tyreal becomes evil. It doesn't really fit the general theme; yes the game's about corruption, but at the same time it is about the inevitable triumph of god - not the inevitable corruption of evil.

More likely it follows recent Diablo novel lore and there's something which threatens to dissolve the barrier between worlds.

The most important thing to remember seems to be that Diablo is not dead; his material form has just been destroyed on this world. Similar to Planescape mythology, but I'm not exactly sure how close the link is, since normally a demon in Baator or the Abyss that is killed is killed for good (their essence becomes part of the plane), whilst a demon or devil killed on the material plane is simply banished to his home plane (although even this isn't strict). However, we killed Diablo in both planes, and smashed his soulstone. That was hell, right?

And with the worldstone gone, the dimensions between words is destroyed, so technically demons can't come to Sanctuary, nor can angels (so is Tyreal stuck there?) and magic doesn't work. No doubt much of the game will centre around opening, closing and/or regulating this barrier, thus much of the conflict of the game will take place revolving around internal human struggles and factions vying for power, ideology or the notice of higher/lower powers. In contrast, the central theme of Diablo 2 was the manipulation of humanity by other-worldly powers (almost the reverse). From a roleplaying and storytelling standpoint, this possible stance for Diablo 3 is much richer and morally grey... perhaps too much so for the shallow but atmosphere nature Diablo 2 so sucessfully employed.

Although I imagine they'll pull a WotC and instead of magic being destroyed it is simply scrambled, sort of like the spellplague of 4th edition D&D.

One things sure: the guys at Hellgate gave them a bunch of things to consider about the do's and don'ts of modern Diablo clones.

Edit. Nice ideas stillman. I think I can best sum them up, for those of us with shorter attention spans, roughly as: No.

4. OverUsedChewToy

OverUsedChewToy IncGamers Member

Didn't the worldstone come into being not just as a block between the worlds but as a way to drain the powers of the half-angels, half-demons that populate sanctuary, and, ultimately, with their powers lessened, they turned into humans? I read that somewhere and that it's in one of the Diablo novels or something. Maybe it'll have something to do with that (and that angel chained up by Mephisto in the cathedral of mirrors for his hubris).

5. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

For me it's very simple, based on the D2 expansion finale and the lore from the books:
    - The 3 brothers were banished back to Hell, just that.
    - The barrier protecting Sanctuary from Heaven and Hell is gone(Worldstone).
    - The 3 brothers WANTED to be defeated, to lose their human-bound weak form and later come back FROM Hell, after the Worldstone was destroyed. Thus they played the 2nd Hero for a fool, just like they did with the 1st Hero, the Warrior. Diablo is the one that wins in the end for Diablo games; HE is the star of the show, not the nameless heroes. I think he'll only lose at the last game, if that ever comes.
    - Tyrael is NOT bad, nor will turn, there's no evidence whatsoever to that besides some of us thinking it would be cool and wanting it.
    - On the other hand, in a fat stretched theory, Tyrael could have been captured at Act 2 and replaced by Belial, lord of lies, which is the one that makes you lead him to the Worldstone and then destroy it.
    - I also think now that the way to both Heaven and Hell will be open, and that we'll have to fight both.
    - The Diablo I manual mentions that Heaven has very strict rules and harsh penalties. They already wanted to "cleanse" Sanctuary once, since humans are the spawn of both angels and demons. They may want to cleanse it again now that a lot of humans will ally themselves with Hell, naturally, and only forgive those who align themselves with Heaven. Thus the player would fight Heaven as well as Hell if he was to maintain humanity's balance and freedom.
    - There's also the mentioned thing that the Worldstone or something made humans forget about their powers. Maybe we'll have a lot more powerful characters :)
    - The enemies would be a lot more powerful also, though, since there's no more the banishment from Sanctuary that weakened them.

6. Cwicseolfor

The Worldstone didn't block anything - it facilitated travel between worlds.

Do you read up, though. I haven't read the novels, nor have the majority here I imagine, so some confirmation of what direction Blizzard 'authorised' (if not explicitly took) after LoD would be good.

7. OverUsedChewToy

OverUsedChewToy IncGamers Member

"Inarius is an angel introduced in the Diablo manual as a means of explaining the origins of the Overlord demon encountered by the player in the Catacombs and Caves levels of the game. The angel left Heaven because of his hubris, and built himself a temple. To prove his superiority he launched an ill-fated assault upon one of the temples of Mephisto and slew all his followers. Mephisto was greatly angered by Inarius's actions, and captured the angel and his followers. After tearing off his wings and eyelids and stretching his prided skin with hooks, Mephisto chained Inarius for all eternity within a cathedral of mirrors so that he would be forced to look upon his ruined image forever. His followers were turned into the hideous Overlord creatures.

Expanded role in books

In the Diablo: Sin War trilogy written by Richard A. Knaak, it is revealed that Inarius along with other rogue angels and demons are responsible for the creation of Sanctuary and the Nephalem (Angel and demon hybrids with great power). Inarius wished a Sanctuary away from the constant battles between demons and angels as well as create his own High Heavens which would be greater than the original. However the development of the Nephalem's powers infuriated Inarius making him want to start anew by eradicating all the Nephalem. This brought him into conflict with Mephisto's daughter, his romantic partner Lilith. Due to the conflict between the two Inarius banished Lilith. This is because Lilith desired to be a tyrant with an unbeatable army under her control while Inarius wanted lowly worshipers. But before Lilith's banishment, Lilith had killed all other angels and demons on Sanctuary preventing Inarius from destroying the only sentient being left on Sanctuary, the Nephalem because Inarius did not wish isolation. And so Inarius used the worldstone to prevent the Nephalem from developing their powers, reducing each succeeding generation's powers until they became the mere normal humans of Sanctuary. Inarius also used the world stone to mask the existence of Sanctuary from his own Angelic kind in the High Heavens. He then later created the religion Cathedral of Light to make the beings of Sanctuary worship and serve him."

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-player_characters_in_Diablo#Inarius

Don't know how reliable it is but the worldstone appears to also mute humans (nephalems?) powers, too.

8. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

The end of LoD literally screamed "sequel" - if it's not an open ending then I don't know what is. They even say "we don't know what's going to happen". It could be anything. The splash screen looking like space and the prime evils banished to abyss, I'd say they are coming back. And no, there's not going to be Diablo III without Diablo..

9. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

CwicSeolfor: I didn't read the novels yet. What I gathered was from forum posts of people who read them. I do recall the Worldstone being used as a barrier, as OverUsedChewToy confirmed... maybe you confused it? I may be wrong too, I don't know for sure.

10. Cwicseolfor

Eh, I'm probably remembering incorrectly; I thought the worldstone maintained the connection between planes, as well as governed the existence of magic.

It would seem it was designed to do the opposite on both counts, based on what I read around.

11. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

Anyways, I think it a pretty good story, and great to build upon!