Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Soundtrack & Music Poll

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aranock, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 Soundtrack & Music Poll

Here's what we know about the D3 Soundtrack thus far http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Diablo_3#2005:_Diablo_III_Soundtrack_Recorded.3F

Wanted to know what type of music everyone would like to see in D3 from the aspect of comparing Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and D2 LOD.

I believe Diablo 2 had some very great, memorable music with a wide range based on the enviornments throughout the 4 acts, very well done. I think LOD gave a good mysterious/creepy feel, a very good match for Baal. And Diablo 1's had a great gothic-mysterious feel, almost like walking through a twisted, demented, mysterious, torture chamberish, death maze. :evil:

Diablo 1's music is still my favorite for that reason. I suppose it adds to the idea you are traveling through a once humble monestary to face all kinds of Evils, and of course the lord of terror himself!

What do you think?

2. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Soundtrack & Music Poll

DI definitely

3. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch IncGamers Member

Re: Soundtrack & Music Poll

Matt Uelman contributed over 3 hours of music to World of Warcraft patches and The Burning Crusade according to this:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,11673/

This massive chunk of music began to enter the Warcraft world (starting with Patch 1.11) just 9 months or so after that rumor floated out there. Some have speculated that some of these tracks, especially Auchindoun, Blade's Edge, Naxxramas, Nagrand, etc, sound familiar:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/t...A2A08AE710CC337F96E3?topicId=5469240106&sid=1

http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=69

According to this, he left after Burning Crusade shipped:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Uelmen

and he hasn't contributed any music to either of the two patches since the game shipped, despite contributing to every one which came since Blizzard North was closed, which probably means that he did leave.

It is a nice thought that a guy who took over three years to make less than an hour and a half of music for his previous big release could somehow show up on the World of Warcraft team and start delivering hours of music overnight. But it seems pretty reasonable to guess that something else may have happened.

4. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

.....Then why bother posting?

Secondly, did you plan on playing Diablo 3 without sound?

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I think it's reasonable to discuss video/computer game music in general in this thread, that statement pretty well summarizes my opinion.

Games have music and sound effect sliders, I will likely listen to both at first, and eventually turn the music all the way down so I can listen to my favorite tunes while I play.

6. El_Ucca

El_Ucca IncGamers Member

World of Warcraft Auchindoun Shadow Labs music is almost exactly like the Tombs (Catacombs) theme from Diablo II if i remember correctly. When i was there the first time i was like WTF, Diablo 2 music. I'm very sorry that Matt left Blizzard, but i'm glad he had the chance to make the Diablo 3 soundtrack before he left.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  7. NJS

NJS IncGamers Member

He left blizzard? :( I did not know this. Thats really to bad, his soundtracks were some of my favorites.

8. OCChopperDude

OCChopperDude IncGamers Member

Re: Music

Ive heard rumors that Tommy Talarico is working with Blizard on a big upcoming thing. I thought this was strange until i looked online and found out that he did the music with his VGL for both the Starcraft anouncement last year and Blizcon last year to.

Sounds good to me he shreds on guitar is generaly known as the best in the video game music biz and is a cool OC guy like all the Blizard dudes!

Here he is at Blizcon:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hCNFGcQRwGI&feature=related

9. El_Ucca

El_Ucca IncGamers Member

Perhaps he can return of his skills are needed again. I base my claim of his leaving Blizzard on some guys addition to the wikipedia article (which i orginally created in honor of this great artist)

As you can see, i'm not entirely sure about it, but at least it has not been denied by anyone.

This page says he left also:
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/tunes

10. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

I really expect that the soundtrack in a hypothetical Diablo III game would be something like Diablo I... there are just some musics that "hypnotize" me. What Diablo fan doesn't know what is Tristam music? It's one of those that will never be forgotten!

http://www.imeem.com/maccspayne/music/lyCxWt59/diablo_tristrammp3/

The Diablo theme is great as well as almost all the music when you're in the adventure from the coldness of the Monastery to the horrors of Hell. It really creates a dar, mystical, gothic aura that completely involves the player.

11. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

:thumbsup: Agreed!

12. wheel-of-doom

wheel-of-doom IncGamers Member

I always enjoyed the low key nature of Diablo I music. It contributed an enormous amount of atmosphere to the game.The diablo I music had loads of reverb and sounded pretty dark. Thats the kind of music i want in d3

Of course with the budget blizzard probably has for a game like diablo 3 the music will probably reflect that. With a well recorded and(most likely) orchestrated soundtrack, I think that much of the feeling in the two previous games is probably going to be absent. Matt Uelman is an excellent composer, and was probably the only hope left for a good d3 soundtrack.

Who knows what itll be like, I just hope they dont try to make it bright and sunny or "action packed." I wouldn't be upset if its in the vein of the Harrogath music.

13. Starlyght

Starlyght IncGamers Member

DI en DII music here :)

http://www.battle.net/window.shtml

The music is a huge part of the game for me, it just wouldn't be Diablo without it. Only the expansion music didn't feel quite right to me.

14. milkbape

milkbape IncGamers Member

i have to say the act 1 soundtrack in diablo 2 is the most memorable, maybe even the signature sound of diablo, the rest of the acts music are forgettable, and the act 4 distant electric guitars just make me giggle uncontrollably.

15. Starlyght

Starlyght IncGamers Member

16. Tenebro

Tenebro IncGamers Member

Definitely. It would be awesome to recreate the dark atmosphere of D1 into D3. D2 wasn't scary enough. Maybe just because your almost always outside.
    D1 is faster-paced and the monsters are attacking you a little bit more surprisingly. I hope they won't commit the error of making Diablo III like WOW, with cartoony characters and 3 million repetitive quests to do. A game doesn't need to be complicated to be good. Equally important, I hope Blizz will keep the 3rd person view and point-click action. I'm absolutely sure it's possible of making D3 with great graphics & dark-fantasy style :)

17. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

if the guy that produced D1 music also produced D2 music i think they forgot what made D1 music popular, ie. you could actually HEAR it !

D2 music was for the most part muffled and way too soft compared to D1 music like the caves where you wanted to kick *** as soon as it started going