Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Diablo 3: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

In honor of the Seattle Seahawks' bizarre decision to not win the SuperBowl, I created a thread in which we could share our similarly foolish last minute poor choices in the realm of Diablo 3. This is a bit like our Diablo 3 Darwin Awards thread, though that one's just about dumb deaths. Defeat from the Jaws of Victory is more like an error that wasn't necessarily crippling or fatal, but was really dumb and preventable in retrospect.

The most obvious way to do this in D2 was to misclick when assigning skill or stat points, so that you were then forced to FOREVER stare at that wasted point with no way to respec or change it. (Respecs were ultimately added to D2 years after release.) That sort of DftJoV isn't possible in D3, thanks to forever repecable paragon points and skills, but other sorts of mistakes can be made.

[caption id="attachment_382787" align="alignright" width="267"][​IMG] Not an ideal decision...[/caption]You see one of mine to the right, in the form of a Blackthorne's Amulet. I found that early in Season One, just after Legendary Gems were added to the game, and was delighted since I hadn't found any amulets yet with three good affixes giving me a fourth to turn into a socket. So when I found that BK amulet with big rolls to crit chance, crit damage, and dexterity, I was stoked.

The problem was I'd found that amulet in a multiplayer game, and between Rifts I hurried to the Mystic, wanting to roll the socket and get back into the action. Somehow, in my haste, I selected the wrong stat to enchant, and didn't even notice it until after I rolled the socket and ran to the jewelry to unsocket my current amulet and stick the LGem into the new one. And at that point I was like... Um... where's the dexterity?

It wasn't the end of the world since it wasn't a perfect amulet (elemental damage is much better than mainstat), and I wouldn't be using it today even if I'd rolled it correctly... but it was still pretty annoying at the time, and even now I keep the amulet lurking amidst the spare jewelry in my stash, as a reminder of how bad things can happen. (And I sometimes use it on a follower if I don't have one of the "can not die" legendaries for them yet.)

Any of you guys have similar mishaps to share? You can post them in comments here, or in the forum thread OP.

Continue reading the Original Story

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. windstriker

windstriker Diabloii.Net Member

My friend (wasn't me, for real!) tried on some suboptimal gear for a fun build and so put all his good gear in the inventory. Then excited the game for real life a few hours. When he came back, he had forgotten and started with selling all he had in his inventory in the belief that it was just bad legs from earlier rifting...

3. Timesink

Timesink Diabloii.Net Member

This wasn't me but I have to tell the Tougeznut story. He wanted to transfer some (really really good FB wizard gear) between two wizard toons but he stash was full. He asked if a couple people to stay in a game so he could drop the items on the ground and quickly switch characters.

He dropped everything on the ground with toon #1, left the game to switch to toon #2 and .... everything on the ground vanished. Apparently items you leave on the ground disappear if your character leaves the game--even if the game remains open with other players.

He's back to farming GR41 so it is safe to say he recovered from this but as a hardcore character losing gear like that was just painful to witness.

tougeznut likes this.
  4. jcauthon

jcauthon Diabloii.Net Member

I thought legandary follower tolkins all had the do not die properity to them. I got one for kormac with like 65 more str on it than the one I had, it was after I deleted my old one got in a rift and noticed kormac died that I wondered what was going on. The tolkin I had was one with all skills bonus or something. RIP templar.

5. mrcnortheast

mrcnortheast Diabloii.Net Member

As a long time Pats fan. Thank you Pete C... Dwight Clark made the 'Catch' way back when as a 49er, and Pete C made the 'Call'. Brilliant!

Anyway, I no longer use the salvage all buttons as within a few days of those buttons becoming available, I forgot to check the items in my inventory first. I had two rare items I had spent way to much $$$,$$$,$$$ to get just so, and forgot they were in my inventory when starting a new game. Pissed me off (mad at myself), something fierce, and I have no plans to ever use those time saving buttons again.

6. Cyber Dragon

Cyber Dragon Diabloii.Net Member

I salvaged a Broken Crown in Seasons that I had on switch for easy Imperial Gems. It was kind of a derp move, and I've re-arranged my inventory to minimize the chance of it happening again. ^^;;

7. tommerbob

tommerbob Diabloii.Net Member

I honestly can't believe they threw the ball on that play. I was sitting there watching it, and I don't typically get loud while watching games, but I stood up and yelled at the TV "WHAT THE $#@& WAS THAT!?!?!"

8. sutasafaia

sutasafaia Diabloii.Net Member

I salvaged a Mirror Ball because I couldn't figure out why my wizard would ever want to actually have an item slot wasted on firing more missiles for a spell I didn't even like. I save pretty much every orange text legendary item now. Still haven't found another +2 missile ball though :(

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Since Salvage All went in, they've modified it so that items you've enchanted don't get churned automatically. Which is helpful to save a Rare you actually want that you forgot you had in your inventory.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Those are the sad ones, where you find some really rare item for another class or build, churn it not realizing it's rare/valuable, and then later spend months trying to find it again.