Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 PvP Content

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by AimBotDiii, Jul 6, 2008.

1. AimBotDiii

AimBotDiii IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 PvP Content

The purpose of this thread is to get some ideas flowing about possible new pvp content that could be added to Diablo 3 or modifications to the original Diablo pvp system.

I'm just going to jump start right into a few ideas!

Warcraft 3 DOTA:
    DOTA is a very successful custom scenario for warcraft 3, and for anyone that hasn't played it I recommend watching some videos or reading information about how the scenario is played.
    Personally I think a DOTA style pvp game could be modified slightly and integrated into Diablo 3 very successfully. Players would be automatically assigned to a team and static gear could be purchased and worn by players until the game ended.

Capture The Flag:
    If you were to scrutinize just about every pvp oriented video game your bound to find that some sort of variation of capture the flag is present. The mechanics are simple and fast paced. Maps could be small to encourage constant battles and high risk areas could give players buffs or small advantages.

How to implement / Added Battle.net features:
    Much like the current implementation of battle.net players would create games, setting level restrictions, maximum players allowed in game, etc. But a new feature would be given to players when creating games, that being what to list the game as: PVP, PVE, Or Trades. When selected the game would be created under a specific tab allowing other individuals to quickly filter the type of games they want to join.

I think the amount of PVP "games" ,so to speak, should be limited to 3 maximum choices. For instance Classic (original Diablo style duels), CTF, and DOTA like mini game. This would ensure games fill up fast, and players are constantly in the fray.

Anyway thats my 2 cents, Discuss!

2. MortIIs

MortIIs IncGamers Member

3. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 PvP Content

How about a 2vs2, 3vs3 and a 5vs5 arena? :D

4. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

So put a WC3/WoW feel to it? Maybe not the right direction.

5. The top ramen

The top ramen IncGamers Member

Gladiator style matches with a spectator option would pwn so hard. They should also keep track of your kills, deaths, ratio, etc.

6. etslayer

etslayer Banned

That would be fun but wouldn't work for the storyline.

It wouldn't really make sense to have spectator sports in the helpless world of Diablo. Your hero is supposed to be the world's last hope. I highly doubt they would be pinning these heroes against eachother in an arena. There is a sense of desparation amongst all the NPC's in the diablo games, I don't think they will change that in D3.

7. Hamslice

Hamslice IncGamers Member

who cares where the ideas come from as long as they are fun and work well within the context of the game?

8. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

I care, and so do alot of other people. Why add these gameplay types when we have WoW and warcraft there? Useless if you ask me.

9. smartdot

smartdot IncGamers Member

so your rational for not wanting wow/wc3 style stuff is that it is already avaible in other games? Would you prefer wow theme extra pvp or no extra pvp?

unfortunately i think these forums have alot of people who are close-minded about wc stuff, for no reason.

10. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Because Diablo's gameplay is completely different to WoW and other games with these systems, so the existence of features in one doesn't make another redundant, neither does it necessitate changing other features towards the other games.

I agree, I would like to see the the game selection grid change from being simply games from difficulty of your current character to something along the lines of a 3x4 grid: normal, nightmare and hell vs quest, area/boss run, pvp and trade (assuming no other superior trade system is implemented). A toggle for whether you can view games you can't join due to being incorrect char level.

11. AimBotDiii

Personally I think the classic pvp system provoked these sort of events to occur. During pvp games such as "Duels Here" or what not some players would ally, forcing others to work together to defeat them. You would see small teams of 2v2 or 3v3 just build themselves automatically.

This is completely understandable. Blizzard is interested in the pve content of the game, which for me is what made the game so fun. Even the down toning of Pking in games makes sense as well. But In Diablo 2 or most other online games, theres a feeling of competitiveness and allowing players to clash against each other really adds excitement to the game. For me at least =)

Do you think there is some route that blizzard could take to keep the atmospheric feeling of the game while adding in pvp content?

As you may recall during the Diablo 3 design fundamentals panel, there was a discussion of how the health and mana orbs were implemented into the game. During this discussion they even stated that some ideas from Halo where taken, such as the recharging shield feature. Although that adaptation did not integrate well into the game, the developers thought "How can we remove the need for constantly using potions and still keep the player in the fray".

Although DOTA is from WC3, I'm simply trying to emphasize its ease of play and fast paced action. Basically what I'm saying is, look at the content or ideas as a whole rather then analyzing which game it came from.

Personally I think theres alot of video games out there with great ideas and I think that we can look at some of those mechanics and say "Hey! that would be a fun feature in Diablo 3!". It's great to have perspectives on both sides of the spectrum though, just because I may want some sort of feature doesn't mean it may be a good idea.

12. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Putting it in doesn't mean it has to fit into the storyline though. D2 PvP already doesn't make too much sense in regards to the storyline anyways, particularly team duels.

I'd like to have some different choices of PvP games, including a sort of hunting game, where say 1-4 people are hunted by the rest (which also could tie in with the storyline somewhat, as assassins are trained to kill rogue sorceresses).

13. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur IncGamers Member

Why does a staged one vs. one duel have to have anything to do with the storyline? Dueling in general doesn't fit in with the storyline either?

14. Q33

Q33 IncGamers Member

Oh man, other than Diablo, the only other game ive been addicted to was DOTA from W3. And its not even a game...its a custom map. Id be excited if they announced something like that. I very much doubt it as it would need many more characters and the balance would completely screw up the game skill for normal play, but it is a super interesting idea.

15. AimBotDiii

Ha! Your telling me! I had a blast playing this online and with friends. Dota is practically the only reason I ever played WC3 =O.

As far as integrating it into Diablo III here are some basic additions / changes I would make.

- Make the map itself smaller and place objectives closer together.

- Vary monster difficulty. For instance, lets say a player joins team 1, you may see something as follows: "Player Bob joins team 1, the opposing minions grow stronger." If one team had more players, the opposing teams minions would thusly be stronger. This would allow players to enter and leave the game with no real impact upon the balance of the game.

- Replace character item upgrades with potions or stat changing abilities. When killing your foes or destroying a building you would receive gold or some form of currency which could be used to buy potions or objects from vendors. The stat changing abilities may only last short durations but players would be able use them at anytime to gain a significant advantage.
    Example: Player Bob drinks a damage potion, increasing his physical damage by 500% for 30 seconds.

Although your limited to only 5 classes, I think that wide variations in skills would occur which would be a very unique experience.