Our 200th episode delves deeply into the best and worst of Diablo III's legendary items, following in the path of developer John Yang's recent "Ten Items in Ten Minutes" lightning Diablo 3 Item Postmortem talk. Aahz and Flux discuss and debate The RoRG, Furnace, Unity, and many other legendary item milestones in Diablo III. Plus a bonus anti-Set Dungeon rant when you least expect it.
This is part one of the show, with a second part reminiscing and reviewing the first 50 episodes of The Diablo Podcast. Due to length and thematic reasons (plus technical issues) that conversation will be posted first thing next week in a separate podcast, along with coverage of TDP #50-100ish to be recorded this weekend. Check back for that Monday morning.
Click through for show content details and more info.
Diablo 3 Podcast #200: Diablo 3 Legendary Item Postmortem
- 0:30 -- Intro and why Blizzard declined to join us for Episode #200. Aahz driven to the desperation of Softcore to complete his Season Journey.
- 6:00 -- John Yang's Blizzcon 2015 Lighting Talk, "10 items in 10 minutes"
- 8:30 -- Shard of Hate. Nerfed too soon, never regained popularity.
- 11:00 -- Focus and Restraint. Good function, but forces players to "play the buff bar?" (Flux says "spender" instead of "generator" about 50x in this section. Because words are hard.)
- 25:00 -- The Furnace. Too good, but never nerfed, plus Dawn vs. Calamity.
- 28:00 -- Would Kanai's Cube be more interesting if the variable number in orange affixes was used, instead of the Cube always giving the maximum possible value?
- 29:30 -- Elemental Immunity amulets. Controversial on team before implementation, but seem to work pretty well in function.
- 33:00 -- Mortick's Brace. Barbarian OP, but big controversy for reasons John avoids discussing.
- 38:45 -- Monk's Sunwuko Set in Patch 2.1. Proved players would happily cripple themselves to succeed in the game.
- 41:30 -- Sever, and why it was so unbalanced to require a mid-season patch and leaderboard edit.
- 45:00 -- Shi Mizu's Haori. Led to players trying to remain at very low health and it was an unsatisfactory play style. Segue to Aahz's annual anti-Set Dungeon rant.
- 47:45 -- Naglering. Fun visual but game-spoiling when found at too low a level. Also, "Natalie Portman rocks."
- 53:20 -- Unity. Exploitable toughness buff, but only in singleplayer, so didn't need nerfing. And now many rings do better.
The Diablo 3 Podcast Episode Guide in DiabloWiki.net provides links to every show, plus quick summaries.
- Listen and subscribe through iTunes.
- View video versions of all The Diablo Podcasts on You Tube, via our all-encompassing Diablo3Inc channel.
- Get the Podcast RSS feed