Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Patch 2.3.0 Preview: New Stuffs!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_384570" align="alignright" width="124"][​IMG] No more Waves![/caption]The Diablo Drought has eased with a big preview of the next patch posted by Blizzard. The patch is bringing a ton of big changes, including four more levels of Torment, lots of new legendary and set items, a revision to the entire crafting system, the new Ruins of Sescheron level, buffs to the bounty system to encourage wider exploration, and even a new Horadric Cube type object that sounds like power creep distilled into a crack-like form.

New Artifact: Kanai’s Cube

Those who played Diablo II might remember the Horadric Cube, a unique device which allowed you to combine items. Useful as it was, it was easily surpassed in power by the item from which it originated, Kanai’s Cube. In Patch 2.3.0, players will be able to discover this powerful ancient relic and utilize its incredible potential, including the ability to break down Legendary items and equip their special effects as passive skills (which are separate from your other passive skills), convert crafting materials from one type to another, and so much more.

Added Blue reply for clarification:

How many passives can we use at same time ? Does it will take passive skill slot to equip ?
    Tyvalir: There's been some confusion about how these passives work, so let me clarify.

With the current plan, the passives you get by breaking down Legendary items with special effects in Kanai's Cube do not replace passive skills on your character, but are instead part of a separate set of passives that are specifically stored within the cube. You can store as many special effects as possible in the cube, but only a limited number can be active at a given time (currently, this is three: one weapon effect, one armor effect, and one jewelry effect). Hope that helps!

Click through for the whole preview, plus over a dozen Blue replies and clarifications, culled from B.net, twitter, and Reddit.

Diablo 3 Patch 2.3.0 Preview: New Stuffs!

Patch 2.3.0 PTR Preview

The Public Test Realm for Patch 2.3.0 is right around the corner! Are you ready to feast your eyes on all the new goodies that await you in the world of Sanctuary? There’s a lot to cover, so let’s get started.

As always, please note that this is only a preview. The below information does not reflect all changes available in Patch 2.3.0 and is subject to change. Some images represent works in progress, and may not be representative of the final product.

New Zone: Ruins of Sescheron

In Patch 2.3.0, the frozen wasteland that is the Ruins of Sescheron will open for exploration. Here you’ll face off against strange new enemies and perilous environmental hazards, all while unearthing new mysteries from the lore of the mighty Barbarians. Those brave enough to make it through in one piece will discover curious new points of interest, including the lost Tomb of King Kanai and his ultimate treasure—Kanai’s Cube.

[gallery link="file" ids="384571,384572,384573"]

New Artifact: Kanai’s Cube

[​IMG]Those who played Diablo II might remember the Horadric Cube, a unique device which allowed you to combine items. Useful as it was, it was easily surpassed in power by the item from which it originated, Kanai’s Cube.

In Patch 2.3.0, players will be able to discover this powerful ancient relic and utilize its incredible potential, including the ability to break down Legendary items and equip their special effects as passive skills (which are separate from your other passive skills), convert crafting materials from one type to another, and so much more.

Crafting System Updates

For those who eagerly gather crafting materials on their journey to level 70, we’ve got good news you’ll especially enjoy. Starting in Patch 2.3.0, the same crafting mats you use at max level will be available as you level up! We’ve also crunched down the number of crafting recipes, making the process easier and more fluid than ever as your results now dynamically adjust to your character’s level. Whether you’re bashing skulls on the highest difficulty or have just started your career and killed your first Champion or Elite pack, your crafting mats will never go to waste.

Adventure Mode Updates

This patch also includes changes designed to improve the pacing of Adventure Mode while encouraging players to explore Bounties across a variety of Acts. In addition to removing the Realm of Trials, we’re improving Bounty rewards by adding new Act-specific crafting mats to Horadric Caches. Completing Bonus Acts in Adventure Mode games will also now grant a bonus Horadric Cache stuffed with crafting materials, gold, and additional Act-specific crafting mats.

[caption id="attachment_384570" align="aligncenter" width="235"][​IMG] New Greater Rift interface.[/caption]

New Feature: Season Journey

Every player’s Seasonal journey is different—and so are their accomplishments. Starting in Season 4, you'll be able to track your individual progress through the Season Journey interface. This helpful feature is divided into Chapters, which include major milestones that are achievable by most players, and Tiers, which are designed for advanced players. Completing Tiers unlocks new portrait frame rewards, and the highest Tier includes challenges which will take effort to achieve for even the most powerful nephalem.

[​IMG][​IMG]

New Difficulty Levels

As players continue to discover powerful new gear, the current hardest difficulty level—Torment VI—can begin to feel less challenging. To help keep hardened battle veterans on their toes, we’re adding four new Torment levels with appropriate reward rates, including Torment X. We’ll be iterating on these new difficulties and rewards as the PTR progresses, so we look forward to hearing your feedback!

[caption id="attachment_384576" align="aligncenter" width="500"][​IMG] Torment 7-10 awaits.[/caption]

New Legendary and Set Items

For all you dedicated loot hunters, we’re also adding lots of shiny new Legendary and Set effects to the game. Aside from doing this through introducing new items, we’re also revamping special effects on some existing items, and granting new effects to some items which don’t currently have one. As in other patches, changes to Legendary items are not retroactive, so you’ll need to find them once more to use their updated form. Overall, this should result in more build options for you to explore.

Combat Changes

Several changes to monsters are coming to the game as well. Along with reducing the amount of crowd control the game’s tougher monsters will tolerate, we’ve adjusted the experience and Rift progress granted by killing monsters so they better reflect the effort required to kill them. For example, monsters that take more time or effort to kill now provide more experience, and those that are especially easy to kill will provide less. We’ve also made changes that create a better balance between the time you spend exploring and clearing Nephalem or Greater Rifts, and the time you spend facing the Rift Guardian. With these changes, more of the emphasis will be on your journey as you explore and clear the Rift.

Prepare Yourself!

New zone, new Cube, new items, new difficulty levels, new Adventure Mode changes—the list goes on and on! We hope you’re looking forward to trying out all these new features and leaving your valuable feedback once the PTR hits.

Out of all that you’ve seen above, which of these changes are you most excited to experience for yourself? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll see you on the Public Test Realm![source]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19802338/patch-230-ptr-preview-6-23-2015[/source]

There's no ETA for the PTR, but past patches they haven't screwed around long between the patch preview and the PTR going live, so hopefully we'll be able to start testing this stuff fairly soon. Excite?

Update:

Do we get this one on ps4 sometime soon?
    Grimiku: The current plan is to deploy the PS4 and Xbox One patch at the same time as the PC as we have previously done. This is subject to change, though, so we'll be sure to keep you all updated as we get closer to the patch date.[source]http://www.diabloii.net/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/18194083561[/source]

Update #2: More Blue replies from the comments to the official post:

I hope ruins of sescheron doesn't get pushed back yet another patch. This looks awesome though, so excited to see the re-emergence of the cube (this also probably means a new secret level people!!!)
    Tyvalir: The Ruins of Sescheron is definitely a different environment. Even though the area bears similarity to other parts of Act 3 (e.g. snowy environs and frosty enemies), there are certainly new traps, enemies and things to see. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you try it out on the PTR!

How many passives can we use at same time ? Does it will take passive skill slot to equip ?
    Tyvalir: There's been some confusion about how these passives work, so let me clarify.

With the current plan, the passives you get by breaking down Legendary items with special effects in Kanai's Cube do not replace passive skills on your character, but are instead part of a separate set of passives that are specifically stored within the cube. You can store as many special effects as possible in the cube, but only a limited number can be active at a given time (currently, this is three: one weapon effect, one armor effect, and one jewelry effect). Hope that helps!

Can i Test it by loading the ptr now?
    Tyvalir: It's not quite out yet. We'll have an announcement going out when it does - both here on our official news feed and on our social channels - so that you won't miss it! ;)

That Kanai Cube has me SOOO excited!
    Tyvalir: Really glad to hear it! The PTR will be out soon (no ETA just yet) and we're looking forward to all the great feedback you all will have to share once you've played with it and unlocked its many mysteries. :D

Looks like you lot have been spending a lot of time on this patch I hope it lives up to expectations.

That cube looks interesting could really help us customize our builds add variety to how we play, the new set overhauls I look forward to. I would love to see Black Hole for wizard brought up to full power considering it's one of the most powerful things in the universe it deserves upgrading, just a thought :)

Tyvalir: I'm also eager to see what our community theorycrafters can come up with using the passive-storing feature of Kanai's Cube. It will likely take a while for the meta to settle (plus things can change as they're tested on the PTR), but the core idea of being able to juggle different affixes around at whim will almost certainly open up new build options to play with.

Please also reduce the gap between solo and group rewards...preferably by buffing solo rewards.
    Tyvalir: That's fair feedback. Adjusting the balance between solo and group play is going to be a gradual process for us, but definitely something we're aiming to do. (More info can be found here.)

I am guessing these changes will herald in the new season correct?
    Tyvalir: Yep! Our current plan is to patch between Seasons.

That cube tho :eek:
    Tyvalir: There are several neat functions we currently have planned for Kanai's Cube that wouldn't quite fit into one blog (at least, without crowding out everything else). You'll get to see some of these for yourself once the PTR hits, and we'll be sharing more info on the Cube itself in the near future. ;)

Have you changed the trial system? Can we skip trial to enter greater rift?
    Tyvalir: Correct. With the upcoming planned change, you won't need to do Trials. How you progress in Greater Rift level has changed a little bit, and we'll be sharing more details on that, plus a lot more info about the changes to Adventure Mode, in the near future.

Update #3: More Blue updates and clarifications from B.net, Twitter, and Reddit.

So glad that Realm of Trials is going away, but really curious about how it will be replaced.
    Tyvalir: The nutshell summary, based on the current iteration (which could change during the PTR), is that when you beat a Greater Rift level within a certain time limit, it automatically unlocks the next highest Greater Rift level permanently, with no need to go through a Trial each time. That said, we'll have more details to share on Adventure Mode changes in the near future. :)

Example, can we combine Unity Ring, Hexing Pants and Corrupted Ashbringer and get all the secondary affixes from them all rolled in to one awesome extra passive? or do we have to choose one at a time as the "5th" passive. Also, can we use Amulets in the ring slot or just rings?
    Tyvalir: Basically, you can have any number of Legendary effects stored in the cube at a given time (but not duplicates), and can have three effects active at a time - one weapon, one armor and one jewelry effect. These are separate from your character's normal passive skills, so they work alongside them rather than replacing them. All of this is subject to iteration and changes, but that's the current plan!

is there ANY idea whether or not my trial keys will keep once 2.3 comes and i can just use those for my grifting? I seriously have a mule dedicated exclusively to all the trial keys ive racked up id be sad if they all left
    Tyvalir: Great question! Giving a full answer would require diving into all the changes that are coming in Adventure Mode (since they interlock with one another). For now, I can say that the current plan is for Trial Keys to still be valuable after Patch 2.3.0, so don't get rid of them just yet!

I wonder why not re-balance Normal-T6 rather than stack four more difficulty levels? --@Jaetch
    One reason: so that returning players wouldn't feel weaker by not being able to do a difficulty they used to be able to. [email protected]
    [source]https://twitter.com/donvu4u/status/613403425573765120[/source]

Excited to see what build ends up benefiting most from Kanai's Cube. Anyone have a better combo than Carnevil w/ Mask of Jeram + SMK + RoRG? [email protected]_JohnYang
    [source]https://twitter.com/_JohnYang/status/613488300678983680[/source]

No double dipping, you can only have one instance of a power active. Also the Hellfire Amulet passives cannot be extracted via the cube. --Travis Day

So... If I put in a RRG, and I also have one equipped, 2 less pieces required?
    It would be similar to what happens if you attempted to equip two Ring of Royal Grandeur — you can only benefit from one. In short, powers that originate from the same Legendary don't stack.

Think of it this way: Equipping a power from a Legendary power via Kanai's Cube is just like equipping the item itself, only it does not take up an equipment slot. There are a lot of little nuances to explain regarding this new feature, and we'll have a more focused, in-depth blog on it in the (near) future.

Update #4: More Blue answers.

So items that require a shield block to proc can still proc if they are not using a shield? Does it become an on hit proc? That's incredible.
    Travis Day: Hellskull increases damage while wielding a 2h weapon. That power can be used without requiring a shield to be equipped. If you want to trigger an on block effect from a power you will need a way to block or it won't be able to trigger.

Follow up. Earlier Grim mentioned Leoric's Crown which begs the question: How does that work? It relies on specifying a gem type. Does it prompt the user to pick which gem type the effect should boost when selected? Similar situation with the Broken Crown. Does it require the user to have a gem in their helm and that is what is used in the passive effect?
    Travis Day: In both of these cases it will give you the benefit based on whatever gem you have socketed into your helm.
    [source]http://www.diabloii.net/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/18194753350[/source]

Will it indicate which special powers are still missing?
    Grimiku: The current plan is that it will so that players know what Legendary items they're still missing. Of course, it's still a work in progress. :)[source]http://www.diabloii.net/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/18194593344[/source]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  2. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Seems like the obvious choice for weapon passive in that cube would be the Furnace effect.

3. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I can't help but this patch 2.3 looks to me like a quasi "system patch" in preparation for expansion 2. Also, I'm very curious if the Sescheron lore leads over to D3X2 and has some decent hints in store for us. ^^

4. Kipex

Kipex IncGamers Member

Sure looks like a juicy patch consisting of nearly everything people have been asking for. Unfortunately the glaring lack of stash space and/or microtransactions news is obvious. Those changes just seem to give even more reasons to stash even more items. Gamescom... pretty please...

5. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

More Stash comes with D3X2 TBA @gamescom, mark my words. ^^

6. Kipex

Kipex IncGamers Member

That's what we are expecting, hope you're right :) Though it does make me wonder how to survive through another season or two until the expansion might actually come out ^^ Can't imagine it coming out any sooner than 03/2016.

7. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

If they announce D3X2 at gamescom, I'd expect an Xmas 2015 release provided that patch 2.3 is a pre-expansion "system patch". ^^

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

being able to use legendary item effects as a passive skill sounds insanely powerful.

9. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

O_O

Well. That's an impressive amount of stuff added there. And it really looks like they've listened to a lot of the feedback given, which is reassuring, so props to them.

I just hope, for their sake and ours, that this really does address some of the CORE issues. Because otherwise the novelty of all this new stuff will wear off, like it always has, and we'll be back here in a month or two and all the same criticisms (plus more) will arise again.

What about the 6 piece set design? I guess the Cube MAY fix that, but also may not, and as you've said the power creep present in it... wow.

10. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Agreed. The new patch 2.3 power creep, plus that what expansion 2 potentially adds, looks in fact so mighty that I'm inclined to believe that D3X2 is the last expansion before Diablo 4. ^^

11. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

This actually looks......really good :D!

The Kanai cube is going to be fun but hopefully the jewellery passive isn't always going to be extracted from a RRoG, leaving most using Focus/Restraint on top. Hopefully there will be more interesting options to take us away from that currently obvious choice.

12. koko

koko IncGamers Member

Or rimehearth. I have a furnace and rimeheart with ridiculous stats. Will be the first items to be cubed...

13. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

I don't like that they cutting some mats types. It kills middle game even more.
    Cube sounds nice, and bounty changes too.

14. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

Given how long ago they first teased Sescheron (always as part of a free patch) I doubt that's the case. That's a lot of additional time and effort to put into something that they "cancelled".

15. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

How does it kill the middle game? At least this way there's a chance the materials you get in early and midgame will be of use for more than five minutes.

16. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I really can't see Blizzard let slip the opportunity to sell the next expansion this year. ^^

17. sutasafaia

sutasafaia IncGamers Member

What I want to know is which class will handle T10 the best? My first instinct is DH, because DH, but the damage spike is going to make a fragile class that much more fragile. Then again, if you look at GR's they seem to be doing just fine.

18. Rushster

Rushster Administrator