Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Newbie with Questions...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gavindale Marchovia, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gavindale Marchovia

Gavindale Marchovia Diabloii.Net Member

Hey everyone! I am a newbie with Diablo 3, and have a few questions about the game that I hope can be answered. First, how do I save my game while playing? Second, are the dungeons in Diablo 3 randomly generated? Third, do enemies respawn? And lastly, is there much grinding to be done? Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer Diabloii.Net Member

1) The game automatically saves your progress. You don't have to do anything.
    2) Most dungeons are random, but the level of randomness varies.
    3) Yes, enemies respawn after you exit the game. But D3 uses dynamic difficulty (the monsters are the same level as you) so it isn't a waste if you have to reclear the same area.
    4) Yes, there is grinding. You'll find levelling is pretty quick and the bulk of the game is at level 70. You'll need the expansion to get access to adventure mode, rifts and greater rifts which pretty much the whole endgame.

3. Gavindale Marchovia

First, thanks for the info, Mage Slayer! It is appreciated! Another question... I am a level 7 crusader, but have not gotten any paragon points to fimprove my character. Am I missing something?

4. Mage Slayer

You're welcome. You don't start earning paragon points until your character is max level.

5. Gavindale Marchovia

Point taken! This might be a remedial question, but how do I raise my character's stats? In Diablo II, every time I would level up, I got points to put towards my character's stats (Vitality, Strength, etc). How do I improve on my character with these stats in Diablo III?

6. Mage Slayer

Stats are automatically assigned as you level up. Basically, the devs originally set the goal of a stat system that was a bit more varied than D2 (i.e. not just strength for gear and the rest all in vit for 99+% of builds) but couldn't get something well balanced enough, so gave up and made a really simple system. Each class (and follower) has a main stat which increases their damage and gives a small defensive boost (armor for str and dex, all res for int), with Vit giving life as expected. There really no reason to ever give your character non-main stat.

Str - Barbarian, Crusader (& Templar)
    Dex - Demon Hunter, Monk (& Scoundrel)
    Int - Witchdoctor, Wizard (& Enchantress) + Necromancer when its released.

7. Gavindale Marchovia

Thanks for the heads up! I am a level 8 crusader, when I went to the screen where the player can increase damage inflicted on an enemy, or increase the chances for critical damge, or even percentage chance for a critical hit, nothing had changed. On the character improvement page, those stats and all the others are still 0/50. How do I increase those stats?

8. Gavindale Marchovia

I got some game time in today, and aquired a guy referred to as "Templar". Does this character gain experience and progressively level up? If I go through the game without him, does he remain at the same level, or does he advance when I do?

9. Mage Slayer

That's where you spend paragon points.

The Templar is a follower. There are two more you'll come across, but you can only have one active at a time (and none in multiplayer). They level up as you do, so you don't lose out by leaving them out or swapping around between them. Don't forget to choose skills and give him gear as you/he levels.

10. Gavindale Marchovia

So I have to finish the game once before I can get paragon points and in turn be able to customize my character's stats? And I understand that in Diablo III the dungeons and areas are randomized, but a question that comes to mind is - if I complete a particular dungeon, leave my game, and come back to it, has that already completed dungeon changed randomly? I was reading the comments that appear on my TV screen while Diablo III was loading, and I thought it said that yes, dungeons change even after the player has already explored it. But I could be wrong.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  11. Mage Slayer

No, you have to reach level 70 to earn paragon points. That usually takes slightly longer than one playthrough.

And yes, random areas re-arrange each time you start a new game. The random events change each time too.

12. Gavindale Marchovia

Well, I have to say I am really enjoying Diablo III - and I appreciate Mage Slayer's help! I didn't really play into this till last night, but I have come across the option to combine weapons and armor with gems and precious stones. I am familiar with this option in Diablo II, but this is something I don't really know much about for Diablo III. I am looking at my character inventory – weapons right now – and there are three icons just below the damage factor. Those icons are a sword, a shield, and a plus sign. And added to them are 1-3 arrows – some red, some green, or a grey dash mark. What do these three fields – sword/shield/plus sign – mean? Does any of them show how many sockets that weapon/armor/etc has? Another question – when looking at the inventory screen, at the lower left portion of the screen, there is a field listing my current gold (with an orange icon), and then another number (with a red icon)... what does that second number and icon mean? Lastly, from time to time, I see a green square (or more than one) with a green arrow in it - just above my red health bar. What do these squares mean?

13. Mage Slayer

I don't play on console (the UI is very different to PC) so I can't answer everything, but it believe the symbols you are talking about are the item comparison. When you look at an item, it automatically compares it to what you already have equipped in three categories:

damage (sword): which is your average damage per second. It factors in things like your weapon's damage, attack speed, crit chance and damage, main stat damage bonus.
    toughness (shield): this is a measure of the amount of damage you can take, including both your health (vitality, +% life) and damage mitigation (armor, all res)
    recovery (plus): this is a measure of the amount of toughness you recover per second e.g. life regen, life per hit.

Bear in mind these comparisons are only rough guidelines and that many affixes are not included in item comparisons (e.g. elemental bonuses, increased damage to specific skills). On PC item affixes included in the comparison have a grey bullet point, ones not included have an orange bullet point, I'm not sure if console is similar.

I think the red icon near gold must be your bloodshards. They are a currency item only found in adventure mode. you use them to gamble from an NPC called Kadala.

14. Gavindale Marchovia

Just as a reference point, what level should I be at when I start the individual game Acts? I am a ways into the first Act, not sure how much farther I have to go to complete Act 1, but I have made my way through quite a bit.

15. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Not sure since you can turn up or down the difficulty. You'll find better gear as you level too. I don't really have a guide for you. I keep thinking back to the D2 days when people asked this question. But it all just depends on your difficulty level and gear.

16. Gavindale Marchovia

What's the word on gold? I have massed about 100,000 gold coins, but haven't needed to spend it because, with the way I am playing, i currently have a few legendary weapons and armor. I have been playing the same dungeon repeatedly (and it helps that each dungeon is random every time I play), amassing my weapons and armor. Should I be saving up my gold for anything? Believe it or not, I am a level 28 crusader in the spider cave (sorry, I don't recall what the in-game name for it is), still in the first act. I read somewhere that it is possible for a 30 level character to finish the game on the normal difficulty level.

17. hrhomer

hrhomer Diabloii.Net Member

I am a new player myself - level 61 Barb, first character. I have used a LOT of gold on forging weapons. In fact, almost all of my weapons have been crafted by the blacksmith until just now - I am in Pandemonium Fortress level 1, and found three weapons that are just worlds better than what I was using

18. Mage Slayer

The only significant gold sink is empowered rifts which you can't access until the endgame, so gold will pile up for now. You can do some crafting but given how quickly you level and find new gear may not be worthwhile. The exceptions are crafting level 60 weapons at level 42+ and level 70 weapons at level 61+ because you can roll reduced level requirement allowing you to equip these powerful items early, but the odds of getting reduced level aren't great, so it's up to you if you want to gamble your gold/materials on it. The materials you get now are used at endgame, particularly once you've unlocked the cube.

A level 30 character finishing normal refers to the old pre-expansion difficulty system where you repeat the campaign on successively higher difficulties D2 style. Now you do the campaign once and then move on to adventure mode. Difficulty settings determine the challenge and reward level, you aren't expected to complete them all in sequence and you can change them as and when you feel like it. What level you finish a given act will depend on what difficulty setting(s) you choose, since higher difficulties give more experience. Dynamic difficulty means that the monsters now level up with you, so it doesn't matter where you are - if you're level 28 you'll be killing level 28 monsters and getting level 28 loot in act 1 and act 5. There's no reason to repeat the same zone unless you enjoy doing it (or are farming lore books in certain areas, but I wouldn't worry about that on first playthrough).

The big weapon damage boost at level 61 is due to the pre-expansion level cap being 60. There used to be several tiers of gear at level 60 to create a better item hunt, so the jump to 61 feels huge. The jump from 69 to 70 is also large. One of the most frustrating things in the game is getting a good legendary weapon in the late 60s only for it to be completely outclassed by the first level 70 rare that drops. Thankfully, we have cube extraction now, so that eases the sting a little.

19. Gavindale Marchovia

So is it recommended that I keep playing Diablo 3 the way I have been? It's been working so far. How do I forge weapons? And I will hold on to my gold. What's the difference between the regular game and the adventure mode? When can I add points to my character's stats, critical hit factor, etc.?

20. Mage Slayer

Play trough the story at a difficulty that feels fun to you. Once you've finished the campaign you'll unlock adventure mode.

In adventure mode you'll gain access to bounties (randomised quests throughout the game world that reward exclusive crafting materials), rifts (fully randomised dungeons that offer increased legendary drop chance and greater rift keys), and greater rifts (timed rifts with infintely scaling difficulty that give you access to legendary gems). Adventure mode also allows you to unlock Kanai's Cube.

You'll be able to earn/spend Paragon points at level 70.