Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Logo - Allusion?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aranock, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 Logo - Allusion?

I'm surprised i didn't catch this earlier...

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say Diablo 3 is going to have a very strong emphasis on heaven vs. hell. There is a plethora of ideas out there to go along with that conclusion, and today i noticed something i'm surprised i didn't catch before.....the new Diablo 3 logo.

Notice how the word Diablo divides the depths of hell from the high heavens in the 3? Look at the stark difference between the white and reds. Also, notice the gylph-like symbol behind the Diablo 3 logo....once again glowing white on top, dark reds on the bottom. Even the horizontal lines on top and bottom follow this same pattern!

[​IMG]

In this specific image, even the rays of light are once again divided.

By all means i'm not stating this is factually correct, but why else would you divide the two so obviously? I always figured they would add an extra pillar similar to the D2 logo for the third game. Once i saw the new logo i wasn't sure what the think about it visually....but I definitely like it now! :thumbup:

2. Putz

Putz IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Logo - Allusion?

Given the means on how Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction ended, really it's the only way it could go.

Really all we can do is wait on Blizzard to give us more in regards to story/lore to fill in some blanks.

3. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I noticed this a whole ago, too. To me it looks as though Heaven starts to lose the war since there's less 'light' than red. It's almost like the red, hell, is slowly creeping upwards.

4. lionheart

lionheart IncGamers Member

I'm sure its gonna have emphasis on the two fractions since it says "and the heavens shall tremble" Some way or another heaven has to be much more involved than in the other 2

5. okiimatsu

okiimatsu IncGamers Member

if you download the high-res version of the logo, you can see some
    of those splash screen symbols in it when magnified, that is the planetary looking symbols. never noticed that till now.

6. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Yup, the heaven vs hell conflict has always been there whether we realized it or not, usually the background story and not frontline focus though.

Take the D2 Trailer for example:

"And the evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall we walk amongst the innocent, and terror shall consume they that dwell upon the earth. Behold, the war amongst the heavens shall not be contained, and the sons of man shall be engulfed in the flood of conflict, and all hope shall be lost unto them. And he shall make war upon the heavens, and the heavens shall gird themselves for battle. The riteous shall fall upon the wicked, and lay siege to the very gates of hell. And he shall take peace from mankind, and loose great destruction upon the earth. The lord of hatred shall ascend his thrown, and the fire's of hell shall devour up all.

And he shall meet out his vengeance upon all flesh, and the blood of innocence, shall run as great taurance....who then...shall be saved? "

:evil: Absolutely great

7. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

I know this is off-topic, but how awesome was Mephisto's monologue in the Act 4 cinematic?

"And the evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent, and terror shall consume they that dwell upon the earth. The skies shall rain fire, the seas will become as blood, the righteous shall fall before the wicked, and all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!"

It's like a shortened version of the one in the trailer as posted by Aranock (and with at least one word changed - righteous fall before the wicked, as opposed to upon them), but Mephisto just makes it sound so much cooler.

Anyway, back on topic. Yeah, I think the Heaven VS Hell thing is pretty clear. A lot of people have been using the logo as evidence that somehow Tyrael is bad in D3. I don't understand that at all - all it shows to me is that there is Good VS Evil, Heaven VS Hell again. Which isn't so new or exciting for the Diablo series at all.

8. CarsV

CarsV Banned

Exactly, all this Tyrael going bad schtuff is becoming annoying. Frankly I hope to see Tyrael kick some *** in this game for once. I love Blizzard's take on angels. I think Tyrael might be a minority in heaven and heaven possibly shuns him or casts him out. People keep equating that to him being corrupted and going evil.

9. ndt

ndt IncGamers Member

True, the Diablo games were all about Heaven vs. Hell. The Sin Wars, in which Hell battles the Heavens in the Realm of the Mortals (somewhere in the D2 Manual).
    That said, some levels fighting through a Demon-infested Heaven would be neat though.

10. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some possibly renegade faction of the Heavens cross swords with mortals, giving us some angelic bosses too. (Maybe Tyrael, maybe not...)

11. Tsumaru

Tsumaru IncGamers Member

I don't know why, but somewhere along the way, I seem to have picked up this notion that we may end up in Heaven. I don't know if it was something I read somewhere (I know that there had been official info on D3 before the announcement - this can be confirmed because I remember reading last year about how it was being done in Blizzard North, got moved down south, and then they started it again; which Rob whatshisname discussed in an interview post-announcement) or if it's just a gut feeling I've got from all the general themes of Diablo; but it just seems like we've been a fair bit around Earth, and we've been to Hell... why not go into Heaven?

I dunno. I could just be completely out of my mind, and I am not gonna say there is any real reason to believe this. But for some reason it's a pretty strong thought in my head. I dunno if we'll be fighting angels there, or if it might be like a kind of save the angels from the invading demons or not... just I can sorta see it happening. It would certainly be interesting to see Blizzard's take on Heaven in the Diablo universe. I expect it wouldn't be the cliched puffy white clouds - presumably something more like the Pandemonium Fortress on a grander, and a tad shinier, scale. Anyway yeah. Just a thought.

12. Cannibalsnail

Cannibalsnail IncGamers Member

Sorry to resurrect what is a long dead thread but found this on google and the debate intrigued me.

Ive read the lore books and they make it clear that there is no good/evil in terms of heaven or hell as both are bent on the use of humans as new footsoldiers. Additionally the war between heaven and hell has been raging forever sanctuary is a small part in that war.
    Angelic enemies would be cool though.

13. Deventh

Deventh IncGamers Member

Can someone post the picture (logo) again cuz i can't see it.:wave:

14. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well, they do use the good and evil parts, but it isn't specific to only good / evil. It deals mostly with the order vs chaos aspects and associates them with the good and evil sides.

With good, it focuses on righteousness, justice, and (militaristic) order and obedience.

With evil, it focuses on the 7 evils and disorder.

We've seen evidence of the "good" angels having otherwise evil vices (Imperious' bloodlust, Inarious' vanity, Tyrael's disobedience, etc). Izual even defected once be became corrupt. On the evil side, it's more rare, but in one case, Kabraxis, he used kindness and healing to lure in those he would then corrupt.

The good/evil is there, but isn't the focus is all. It's just tacked onto the greater focus, being the battle between order and disorder, and how balance is what defines existence.

+1 on fighting some angels :thumbup:

15. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

"The lord of hatred shall ascend his thrown, and the fire's of hell shall devour up all."

Sounds to me that Mephisto is going to make his grand come back. He is the eldest brother after all. I was disappointed that he was the easiest to take down. It would be great to have the 2 lesser remaining evils barter for the resurrection of the 3 in this game.

That being said, what is the rule on death exactly with gods? If you die in sanctuary do you get sent back to your respective heaven/hell? And the shattered soulstones? If your soul is shattered, that should be it right? I know there are no absolutes in this story, so it should be really entertaining to see how the story is written when d3 is released.

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Whatever afterlife there is, it is hinted at both being linked to heaven / hell, and also being something else entirely.

For an example of the link, Bartuc was fully corrupt and was practically a demon himself. While we don't know details on what happened to his spirit after dying, Baal is at least able to have summoned either the body, or the spirit. Bartuc's armor also kept some of his spirit, which was still as corrupt as ever.

For an example of being independent, Rathma personally knew the next process after death. By extension, all Necromancers do in fact know exactly what the afterlife holds for everyone. The way Rathma describes it was his "next journey". Trang Oul even mentions that other "adventure", and had communicated with others of his kind, which was very strange.

For a soul stone, it is merely an anchor into Sanctuary that dampens the victim and acts as a prison. When shattered, that prison no longer exists. With a Worldstone, it keeps them out for good. The soulstone was more or less a loophole that let them slip past its defenses so they could remain in Sanctuary.

Smashing it would only release the demon, and when banished, he would be gone for good.