Diablo 3 lifetime sales top 30 million units

fmulder

Site Contributor
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9097497/diablo-3-sales-30-million-units

Diablo 3 publisher Activision Blizzard has sold more than 30 million copies of the action role-playing game, the company announced today.

The figure represents worldwide sales to customers of Diablo 3 since the game's debut in May 2012, said Activision in the earnings report for the second quarter of its 2015 fiscal year. Activision's second quarter ended June 30, meaning Diablo 3 reached the 30 million sales mark in just over three years.

It's unclear if the sales numbers apply just for the stand-alone game, or if they also include copies of the expansion Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, which launched in March 2014. We've reached out to Blizzard for clarification, and will update this article with any information we receive.

Diablo 3 was already the best-selling PC game of all time, having earned that title a year ago when lifetime sales of the game and Reaper of Souls topped 20 million copies. Blizzard launched Reaper of Souls in China in April. For more on Diablo 3, check out our Overview of the game's Ultimate Evil Edition below.
I am fairly certain the 30 million firgure includes the base game as well as RoS and all versions for various consoles. In this manner you can put me down for 2 copies - collector's edition for both D3 vanilla and RoS. How many units have you bought?

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
I have 2 copy of D3 and 1 RoS. I got the WoW pass but also bought a copy. I wonder how many of that number was through the free WoW pass?

koko

Diabloii.Net Member
2 D3V collector, 1 RoS collextor, 1 RoS regular, 1 D3V Xbox 360 and 1 RoS Xbox 360.

Noodle

I've never played D3. I think it's given me a fresh perspective on moderating a forum dedicated to the game. In a related note, I'm available to offer free advice on how to fly a plane, if anyone's interested.

Ginnel

Diabloii.Net Member
10th best selling video game of all time apparently according to Forbes who referenced a Wikipedia article

fmulder

Site Contributor
I have 2 copy of D3 and 1 RoS. I got the WoW pass but also bought a copy. I wonder how many of that number was through the free WoW pass?
If I recall correctly the WoW give away did not count towards sales figures.

2 D3V collector, 1 RoS collextor, 1 RoS regular, 1 D3V Xbox 360 and 1 RoS Xbox 360.
That's a lot! Bobby Kotick loves you ;)

Meanwhile an artile over at Forbes.com claims Blizzard had confirmed the 30 miillion does include RoS and all console versions.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/08/05/believe-it-or-not-diablo-3-is-now-the-10th-best-selling-video-game-of-all-time/

The article also reports that D3 is now the10th best selling video game off all time on Wikipedia. The writer does note that sales figures are not as black and white as one might think. Interesting read!
First is the reliability of the list itself. While it’s constantly updated when new sales figures come in, many of the tallies listed there are going to be out of date. But there’s really no way around this. There’s almost no way to reliably track sales of games across all platforms, especially digital, so we have to agree that this is probably as good a list as we’re going to get with the information we have available. If you want a second opinion, you can reference this (less reliable) VGChartz list instead of Wikipedia, which would actually put Diablo 3 in 7th place instead.

Flux

Administrator
I bought D3 (but not CE, since I didn't order it in advance and no nearby stores had it on launch day) but didn't buy RoS. Nice perk of attending the RoS launch party; they gave us all RoSCE copies we get signed right there. Hope that happens again for D3X2!

DaveTheBrave

Diabloii.Net Member
I was laughing at all you fools, but then I realized I have the PS3 version, the PS4 (UE edition), and the base game+RoS for the PC. Well played, Blizzard.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
I was laughing at all you fools, but then I realized I have the PS3 version, the PS4 (UE edition), and the base game+RoS for the PC. Well played, Blizzard.
LOL, thats funny.

Any predictions for D4 in terms of sales? More or less than D3? I bought D3 because of D2. Did you? I believe that fewer people will buy D4 because of D3. Thoughts?

Joe_Schmoe

Diabloii.Net Member
Just the vanilla Diablo 3 and the Reaper of Souls expansion (PC, I only have a PS2).

Any predictions for D4 in terms of sales? More or less than D3? I bought D3 because of D2. Did you? I believe that fewer people will buy D4 because of D3. Thoughts?
I'd guess less sales as well unless they do something completely revolutionary, otherwise they'll just go the way of WoW, just slapping up another coat of paint.

fmulder

Site Contributor
I'd guess less sales as well unless they do something completely revolutionary, otherwise they'll just go the way of WoW, just slapping up another coat of paint.
I am not too sure about that. The RMAH was revolutionary but it was universally loathed. Many other changes made to D2's mechanics were not well received. A lot of fans really wanted D3 to be D2 with better graphics, a new coat of paint as you put it.

D4 may sell 50 million copies on release day in 2030 thanks to gamers' nostalgia for D3 ;)