Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 graphics engine speculation

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aranock, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 graphics engine speculation

First off, this post is for speculation and ideas about what graphics engine you think the new Diablo game will use. If you know of good posts that talk about this (which i'm sure there are a great deal), feel free to post up a link.

Personally, like 99% of us, I very much hope they don't go with the cartoony feel that the other genre's have transforming into. Out of all the games i'd say Diablo is the least likely to take this trend, but then again whatever sells best right....

Then again, Blizzard is known to have a certain style of art design within their games. Now that blizz north and irvine are now one...perhaps the graphics and art styles have merged as well. I personally hope we don't see a merge of artists.

Secondly, do you think they will stick with the traditional aerial perspective (my hopes) or go with a first person pov optional 360 aerial zoom style?

Nevertheless, i know players demands and technology pretty much scream a close-up point of view, and the other titles have been going with a cartoony approach, but with Diablo that doesn't make sense and would really pissed me off. If it is 3d, which is only logical, i'm curious if it will remain aerial perspective or inherit wow's p.o.v's. :coffee:

Finally, anyone have ideas for mixing 3d with the Diablo style we all know and love? (for the love of hell don't say wow-style in response to this)

Just killing some time waiting for Saturday....i've given up trying to cross my eyes and make the teaser images become Tyrael, Diablo, Azurewrath and every other form of speculation out there become anything more than what they all are: Generalized, non-hint giving teasers =P

2. Akse

Akse Banned

Re: Diablo 3 graphics engine speculation

I would go with the 3D.. if they allow enough zoom in it, you can just put it way up and lock it in place so it would be like D2 if you want. There could also be a limit of maximum zoom so that in this game you wouldn't be able to zoom to first person etc.

I' m pretty sure they can't stick with the old style.. just look at starcraft2 its not "2d" anymore and hey it looks awesome.

I don't believe they will go to cartoony. Like in sc2 it seems like they stick with the old atmosphere, just with more colors and shiny effects. If d3 is to come I'm sure they keep the old kind of feeling in it, with more sharper and updated graphics.

3. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

I've an old interview with someone from Blizzard(probably here on diabloii.net) that the next Diablo would stick to the winning formula. Based on this, I think it'll be what akse said: 3D but you can zoom out enough if you want to get the same camera angle that you had in D1 and D2.
    In fact I think that'll be the default angle and you can zoom in if you want.
    I also hope that we'll not only not get cartoony graphics, but go back to the roots, having a more claustrophobic and creepy atmosphere as in D1.

4. DarkGoat

DarkGoat IncGamers Member

I hope it doesn't look like Mythos..

5. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Certainly 3D, one of the most cumbersome aspects of Diablo2' game development was the harbor in creating all those 2D sprites. 3D is much more easier and faster to handle.

Isometric view can work. That would mean they would be playing very safe. Tho third-person or over-the-shoulder camera can be better if done right as you get closer to the epicness of the action.

6. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

i saw the presentation of SC2 last year somewhere. a LOT of effects and stuff are turned off in SC2 because no computer can rud that goog grapics with 200 zerling on screen:p
    if D3 is 3D isometric they going to use that engine imho

7. Netherscourge

Netherscourge IncGamers Member

I would not be shocked if Blizzard kept with their "lowest common denominator" mentality and did not go to a full 3D game for Diablo 3.

I would also not be surprised if they made it cartoony like WoW, just because that's the way Blizzard does things. They want everyone to be able to play the game, not just top-of-the-line machines.

8. wildcardd

wildcardd IncGamers Member

My guess is that they will use the SC2 engine. They have have been working on the engine for a while and it would be logical that they re-use it for D3.

9. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

I agree in thinking they will not use any top-of-the-line graphics engine. However, i don't think just because they don't use them that they have to make anything cartoony. Hell, look at Diablo 1! I'd love to see an upgraded D1 style in Diablo 3 (graphically speaking) with humans impaled on spears, the slaughterhouse room of the butcher, hanged men, etc :cloud9:

10. Booner

Booner IncGamers Member

My only request for the D3 engine is that they use physics instead of animations for deaths and item drops. TQ did a really nice job with this and it made the game stand out from all of the other Diablo clones. Actually, a mixture of animations and physics wouldn't be bad. Imagine lopping off a fallen's head, standing there for a few seconds, then falling realistically down a flight of stairs!

11. DarkGoat

They should use the crysis engine.

12. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

I don't think they'll reuse the starcraft engine because both games have a 40-programmer team. It is still very possible, though.
    There's also the fact that all the work for the earlier D3 game has been thrown out, and by the time new development was initiated(2005?), SC2 probably was already being programmed. This could lead to both theories, though:
    a) They gathered a small core-team that focused on the main parts of the only one engine that would be needed for all games made on it. Then later teams could be separated creating new modules that were more specified for each genre.
    b) Since SC2's engine was still too much at the beginning / incomplete and they didn't want to merge the 2 teams, they focused on another engine more tuned up to D3's needs and left the other team focusing on SC2's needs.

13. raleigh_565656

raleigh_565656 IncGamers Member

Id like to see a 3d, semi realistic looking game. The only thing I could compare that to would be guildwars.

14. DarkGoat

I would argue Diablo I looked more realistic than guildwars.

15. Ravenhoe

Ravenhoe IncGamers Member

If you look at games that tried to be the new Diablo (like Titan Quest for example), you can see that it is pretty much possible to keep the old feeling and improve the graphics.

I think they should add physics to the game though

H.