Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 'feels even better' on controller - Jay Wilson if

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Arumot, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Re: Diablo 3 'feels even better' on controller - Jay Wilson

I haven't read the whole thread but i have the impression people are downplaying the keyboard aspect. Fact is i can switch between hotkeys so much faster then i ever could on a controller, and this without it affecting my targetting abilities.
    But ofcourse, that's not what Jay is talking about is he, he's saying that "it feels better to play the game on a controller". Well, you can't argue that since it's his (BS PR) "opinion".

2. Jancokman

Jancokman Diabloii.Net Member

who is ignorant? I've provide all facts about controller vs mouse, technically. I don't play GoW 3 because I don't feel like I'm going to use 360 often. I got some fps on PS3 tho. Remember PS3 analog is 10 bit unlike 360 one which only has 8 bit and yea if I have 2,5 kdr using controller and 6 kdr on kz3 using kb/m converter which isn't work as good as in pc.

Maybe you haven't played a competitive CS1.6 rated match, like one in ESL. Wallhacker is almost non existant, hacker will get banned pretty fast.

For average gamer its perfectly fine with controller, but we are talking about competitive one here.

sorry even if you are like 2 years older than me, doesn't mean that you know better than other people. Mind to provide some technical data and analysis about how controller can compete with mouse.

edit:
    why are we discussing about fps pc vs fps console, you need to go back couple of post.

3. Galabab

Galabab Diabloii.Net Member

no we're not.
    People are bashing controller cuz it gives you a disadvantage and its true but it also give a convience bonus.
    And I am sure with a smart controll scheme a controller can suffice for 99% of tasks in diablo.

Dont know bout you but im tired of sitting at my desktop pc ****ing up my back and eyes.
    Id be glad to play more comfortably.

4. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Need a better chair and light source.

-_-

5. YrrAB

YrrAB Diabloii.Net Member

I'd like to play Diablo 3 with a steering wheel, so I can drive my characters.

6. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Both these deserve a LOL :thumbup:

7. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Diabloii.Net Member

:jig: Doing a whirldwind with that would feel awesome!

8. vileguy

vileguy Diabloii.Net Member

Only if you have to use foot pedals with it.

9. Jancokman

Jancokman Diabloii.Net Member

Clearly I wasn't talking about controller on D3 and why I was going out of topic? (go back to page 4-5)

for me well if I were that tired, probably I won't play any games to begin with. Sleeping, watch movies or just go outside relaxing is better than half assed playing games. That was my personal opinion, each person has their own preference.

10. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

11. Peter

Peter Diabloii.Net Member

You don't seem to have any experience with consoles at all ....

Why do you think consoles are dominating PCs when it comes to gaming?

That is a completely rhetorical question, but I want you to just open your eyes and see there is a huge ecosystem of gaming outside your little Pc world.

12. Don Jaime

Don Jaime Diabloii.Net Member

Jancokman

Just curious, is Logitech or Razer paying you? You're awfully vehement with your defense of k/m vs. controller. Or do you have nightmares where your hands have turned into controllers, and all of the keyboards and mice were loaded onto a spaceship and launched into the sun, and everyone makes fun of you and calls you "Controllerhands McGee" and says things like "Oohhh, lookie at the casual gamer! How's that new Mario game, punk! Your mamma uses a WiiMote!"?

And as far as your response to me goes earlier in this thread, I said I was *almost* as proficient with a controller if I can adjust the sensitivity. I didn't say I was just as proficent or better. I get that k/m allows for more speed and precision.

In matters of personal preference, I'm fine with sacrificing those "precious" milliseconds I lose with a controller. I'd honestly rather have a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right for maximum efficiency, but I rarely feel the need for such a dead-serious mindset when I'm playing a game.

Using a k/m for Diablo games is fine and I have no issues with that, and I'd have no issues playing with a controller as long as everything was still possible to some extent as it doesn't require the fastest reaction speeds. Actual movement with a D-pad seems like it does a better job of actually simulating movement instead of merely depressing a key, so I'd agree that some aspects of Diablo 3 may be better when controlled as such, despite Jay's PR-ey "opinion".

Now, with other games like FPSes, setups like WASD are fine but having to memorize every hotkey in the vicinity and accurately use them always feels sorta wonky to me. Having to jump while pressing directional buttons and having to grab things and move them or crouch in the middle of heated action, etc. just never feel natural to me on the keyboard. Controller/mouse combo feels equally artificial despite its functionality. I guess I've just used a joystick/controller for too long (at least 28 years' worth).

Then again I have only been playing a lot with a k/m since 2010 when I got a decent enough computer that can run every game I've missed since 1996. I may need to just give it some more time to set in, and a much more comfortable desk setup certainly wouldn't hurt. I do not recommend glass desks for pc gaming, especially when the mouse doesn't fit on the keyboard tray and has to go up higher where the monitor sits. Very awkward, and I can't put my chair at a higher setting than the lowest as i can't get my legs under the desk if it's raised higher. Dunno what I was thinking there, and my opinion is certainly bound to change if I can manage a better setup. The only alternative would be a trackball mouse, and don't even get me started on those.

13. Peter

Try a trackball mouse those things are great, you can even get some with a couple buttons built into it

http://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...w.&fp=7e3c68ea71c739c2&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=952

14. Don Jaime

Ya know, there are a few of those that may actually work and they've come a long way since I've messed with one. Despite my distrust of alien technology... I may have to test drive one of the newer designs.

15. Muggs

Really? Where did you get that information from because I provided zero information to you as to what consoles I currently own or have owned in the past. But just for the record I have owned Collecovision, Intelevision, atari2600, Atari jaguar, 3DO, Nintendo NES, N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox.

So where exactly are you getting me having zero experience with consoles?

Consoles have a bigger market share currently due to the the price point of consoles. And the belief my game makers that consoles somehow prevent piracy. But there also been a shift in recent years back to pc gaming but with your age and experience you should have seen this before and recognize the pattern.

And please do not get all condescending with me you were the one who said because of your ripe old age of 30 we should listen to your experience. Which is laughable at best. It really shows how little you do know or understand to think that a 30year old somehow constitutes someone who has known and seen all.

And I will reiterate that I feel PCs epitomize the gaming experience since you have to make the least amount of compromises. And you also have the most options with a PC if you want to play with a controller you can do it on a PC and attach your pc to your TV if you choose. And how can you ignore that PCs are easily 10x as powerful as the best console on the market right now.

16. Don Jaime

No SNES?!?!? I guess you've been able to experience what you missed thanks to the magic of emulation? Perfectly legal emulation, of course!

17. Peter

If you have experience with consoles then it should be clear as to why diablo3 is going to come to the console eventually.

point and case. closed.

18. Muggs

My 16bit love went to sega plus the SNES didn't come out till well after the geneisis so I was already rocking the games then went to my 3DO which was easily one of my favorite consoles. 3DO and Dreamcast were so much fun for their times.

Huh?? I am sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. You make no point and then say case closed I feel like I am on a bad sitcom.

So I counter with if you have experience with consoles then it should be clear diablo3 is not coming to consoles. Sounds as nonsensical when I say it too.

19. Don Jaime

I had a Genesis and a SNES, lots of good stuff on both. I've never heard too many great things about the 3DO, but man, I missed out on A LOT from the Dreamcast, not to mention Sega Saturn and blame Sega's terrible advertising and sales strategies. I'll stop there before this turns into a serious derailment of the thread.

20. Muggs

You can derail this thread it is basically deteriorated into a I think you think thread anyway.

The 3DO was cool because it showed actual videos and real pics and at the time I remember being awestruck. It was one of those consoles that when it came out everyone was amazed but the stuff looked dated quickly. Still I logged a ton of hours on that system playing Need for speed or Road Rash. There was a space strategy game on it too and I can't for the life of me remember the name.

I still play my dreamcast from time to time. Episode 1 Racer is still fun to play. I wish I still had my 3DO but it was stolen with my PS1.