Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 beta?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gamekk, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Gamekk

Gamekk Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 3 beta?

Hello folks,

I've always wondered how Beta worked since I've never been taking part in an open Beta, but I'd do anything to part in this beta.

Blizzcon? Is it going to be the only opportunity to get a Beta key if they happen to hand Beta keys in the goody bag? If so, can you just pay the 100 USD ticket and still receive the goody bag without going the the other side of the world? (California)

When the Beta will be announced, where will it be announced? Will it appear on Blizz site? Newspaper? This news site?

What do you usually do to get you hands on a Beta key, pay massive dollars? get lucky? having absolutely no-life?

I just wanted to make sure this was the right thing for me also, thanks for answering my questions.

2. factotum

factotum Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Diablo III beta?

The beta testing programme for another game forum I'm involved in requires you to sign a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) before they'll let you anywhere near beta code. I can't imagine Blizzard are going to be any different--it's unlikely they're going to give away beta test keys at a public event unless they intend to run a completely open public beta (have Blizzard ever done that before? Don't know).

3. Putz

Putz Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard has done so with almost all of their titles. Open beta's are nothing new for them.

Closed betas are randomly selected people from a sign up.

4. Paalt

Paalt Diabloii.Net Member

I remember playing a shared beta key of D2. Found it on the net. When I was on, people would spam "Are you done yet? Can I try now? You have been on for ten min! Let other people try!!!".
    My beta experience ended up in a duel. When I died, I thought I lost all my items so I quit the beta. Heh.
    I remember some people leveled into the twenties. That must have been say 500 Blood raven runs? I think Blizzard will have open and closed beta. I will try to sign up this time :)

5. Stalin

Stalin Diabloii.Net Member

Most likely the moment beta is announced over 1000 people will have already signed up, and I will be screwed out of any chance. Everyone wants a key, and so few will get one, but if you are willing to be a loser and stay up all night on the blizz forums, you just might get one.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i dont think bliz uses a first come first served system. they give keys to major players so to speak, like popular game sites or mags then the rest go to randomly selected people if i am not mistaken, nothing to do with the first to sign up

7. Putz

Putz Diabloii.Net Member

what i said...

8. Stalin

I hope so, although then again that makes it impossible to "ensure" you will get a key in the first place without heading out to blizzcon and spending more than I would pay to buy the game in the first place. At least with first come first served you have a chance of "being first," now that I have acquired that knowledge I am just going to have to hope I get a key like I hope my dollar towards mega millions will get me a winner.

It is so saddening.

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Blizzard has done closed betas with all of their past titles, so I'm sure D3 will be the same. They distribute copies to friends/family, media, fansites, others in the industry, etc, as well as fans from a signup form on blizzard.com. They pick the public testers semi-randomly; it's not first come first serve, though you'd never know that from the hysteria that always breaks out when a signup page goes live.

They pick people in a variety of locations with a variety of machine specs and a variety of interest levels. They want testers on super fast machines, and on slower ones so they can find out how well it plays on a variety of systems. And they want rabid 16 hour a day fans, and more casual ones, since they'll get very different feedback from each type.

Their early betas were much smaller, back when they'd actually mail out CDs. (FedEx always seemed to come on Friday, the minute you were in the shower or out running errands, and you'd have to wait until Monday for redelivery.) Since War3 they've made their betas downloadable on torrents, but you have to have an valid key to play. They've used this to step up the betas over time, starting small and adding more users as early bugs and other issues are fixed. They've also taken to using their fansites to pass out cd-keys; our network WoW site had literally hundreds of cd-keys to pass out for the last WoW expansion beta. We'd obviously be happy to facilitate that sort of thing to you guys for the D3 beta, but it's way too early for any word from Blizzard on that front.

As for open betas, Blizzard ran one for D2. It was basically an online demo, with just the Barbarian and up through the Cold Plains, and anyone could download it and play if they had a valid key. (The closed beta was on a CD, and was all 5 chars and act one.) The goal was to test out Battle.net's hosting capabilities, and again, the number of people was increased in stages, until there were tens of thousands of keys given out.

There's no telling if they'll have an open beta for D3, since such tests are used largely to test out hardware issues and battle.net issues, and they might feel they're on top of that after the SC beta, which should run next year, sometime before the D3 beta. They might run a D3 open beta/stress test anyway, just because they can, because the D3 client is very different than the SC2 client, because it's good publicity for their title, etc.

In any event, word about beta tests and test signups is sent out months in advance, so there's no need to worry about missing out if you're offline for a weekend.

http://diablowiki.net/Beta_Test

10. rolandk10

rolandk10 Diabloii.Net Member

I remember when I got selected for the D2:LOD beta. I almost sh** my pants. If I remember correctls, you signed up at a web site and there was a random selection of 2500 people wh got mailed the cd...I wonder if I still have that thing laying around.

11. Gamekk

Thanks Flux for your answer this was very helpful!

However, I still have some questions. I remember that WoW had a closed Beta and that there were some level 60s on the forums, so how long do Closed test usually last? A couple of weeks? 6-8 months?

And at the time they will announce the Beta test (I remember that I was keeping an eye on WoW Beta but I never saw it announced...), where will it appear? Some special Blizz site page? Forums? Here? :scratchchin:

And I've also seen beta accounts running for a pretty amount of cash on Ebay, I guess it was because they violated their NDA and the risk it involves. Finally, I bet that some scammers sent multiple sign ups (since beta account = money), but how do they find them apart? Like I could sign up with 2 different computers, 2 different names and 2 different e-mails but the same IP. Two ppl with the same IP could still be a neighboor/friend/brother/step-grandpa so I guess they can't tell for sure.

That said, what do you think have more chance to be selected? If they select a variety of people, I guess the major part signing up for the Beta will be 16 hours/day geeks with over the top computers, so I might as well sign up with a low performance computer and a very busy schedule to have more chances to be taken?

GIMMOR BETA KEY

12. Wufei

Wufei Diabloii.Net Member

Well to be honest, you don't know 100% that all of them are 16hr a day gamers. You can't go in with that mindset, or you'll end up screwing yourself. Just be honest when filling out the evaluation, and in the comment section, make sure you leave a nice comment with correct grammar.

How would you like to get beta feed back from someone whu talkz liek this all the tyme?

You wouldn't, and they certainly don't want that trash in their beta.

13. Gamekk

Ya don't worry lol, my last sentence was sarcasm. But what do you think a good comment would be? Something good about Blizz and how you love them/Diablo?

14. Stalin

How would DIII.net go about distributing any keys it may acquire?--IF It acquires them of course. Just curious.

15. Apocalypse

i put a comment on a beta form once that said "beta or the kid gets it", i was not accepted into that beta, poor kid :tombstone:

16. Gamekk

lol yea you could always make up a story like you're about to die and you HAVE to play DIII Beta otherwise you will never be able to play it once its out! hahaha

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

Depends on how many we get, and what bliz says about it. They generally don't place any requirements on things, other than not ebaying them or anything else unethical, so it's pretty much up to our discretion. Not Bliz, but the beta keys I got from Flagship for HGL I gave out to the most active posters in the forums. (That's not a green light to start madly boosting your post count here;-)

We'll definitely reward our forum mods and other contributors, along with long time readers and supporters (Our WoW site is giving them to mod makers). We'll save some to run a contest as well, to give everyone a shot. Contests create site content, give the fans something to do, and it's kind of a hurdle to weed out people who just want one for free and aren't willing to do anything more than enter their email.

We're going to be running a few contests in the very immediate future, not for d3 beta slots, but for some other cool stuff, which will give you some insight into what we might do come D3 beta. Though that would be on a much larger scale, I think/hope.

18. Apocalypse

will you guys run any contests for those not, lets say, talented computers? pretty much will there be contests beyond simple making art or other such things? maybe writing contests? not to say that there should not be contests based on those who can make fan art, just wondering if there is to be a variety.

19. GoldenBird

GoldenBird Diabloii.Net Member

Mmmmm I hope there's some kind of art contest or something when D3 beta comes out... that would be awesome.

They actually have some kind of beta sign up thing, I entered into it a while ago. I can't remember if it was for D3 or for any given Blizzard game, but they take your computer specs.

20. Flux

Flux Administrator

Wow, talk about thread resurrection. Anyway, though this question was asked nearly a year ago, here's an answer. How we'd give out keys would depend on how many we had. If we just had like 25, we'd have to take care of our long time mods, major wiki contributors, columnists, and others who have put in time and effort to help out the site. (And thus clearly demonstrated their interest in the game.)

If we had more, say 100+ (our WoW site had literally hundreds for the last WoW expansion), then we'd get more creative and open it up more with a variety of contests. Art, writing, site scavenger hunt, haiku, maybe some random to give anyone/everyone hope. Not so much on the random though, since the blizzard.com public signup is that. After all, if we're going to give them out on a FANsite, then we should try to give them to fans. Not someone who last played D2 in 2002 and saw a link on ShackNews and threw their name into a hat.