Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 beginner

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Excalibur, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

I recently bought both D3 and RoS. I am about to soon install them and I would like to ask two questions.

1. The procedure to play the game would be:
    Install D3
    Install RoS
    Patch RoS
    Just like in the D2 there's no point to play D3 once I have RoS installed right? I start straight with Reaper of souls?

2. Since there's no offline play, is there still a "single player" experience? Can I still back up my save files to return to the game whenever I want or they will be deleted after a time of inactivity? That said, is there also a restiction on how many chracters you can create?

Thanks in advance.

2. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

1. You can and should start with Reaper of Souls, yes.

2. You can play in private games and even block friends from joining if you want a true solo playing experience, but you can't back up your save files because you don't have access to them. As far as I know they don't delete accounts due to inactivity. Regular Diablo 3 has a limit of 10 character slots, RoS 12 character slots and the RoS Deluxe Edition grants an additional 3 slots (so a max of 15.)

3. Excalibur

Thanks for the info mate.

That really sucks though, forcing players to play only multiplayer.

4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I may not have made it clear: you can play completely solo 100% of the time, if you so choose, you're just required to always be online to play.

5. Excalibur

Actually my bad for posting "multiplayer" instead of "online".
    Although you can play on your own it just doesn't feel the same but my main concern is the delay and lag issues.

6. Excalibur

Yeah, D2 can endlessy run it time with the variety of items and chrachter combinations you can make. That's why I feel confindent for being able to save my files and re-install any time I want.

I don't feel that I won't lilke d3 even if it's far inferior to d2 but just that online thing is enough to prevent me from playing it for years like d2

7. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Me too. I had D3 Starter edition but uninstalled it. Stupid me. :D Should leave it and just put the right keys on Blizz site. Installing the games from DVDs take way too long. At least BNet client is so good that I achieve noticeably higher d/l speed than when I torrent stuff (max: 2 MB/s on torrents and that's not a guaranteed speed and about 2,5 - occasionally maybe even 3 MB/s from BNet client).

And as far as I know, even if you put only the vanilla CDkey, you will have got RoS installed but locked.

8. Excalibur

I feel safer having the DVD version. It also fits nice to my collection :)

One more question guys. When I will install D3 is it necessary to register it on battle.net or should I skip it completely and register only RoS?

9. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

The boxes are cool. They're the best I have seen. And I haven't bought any game since I stopped buying gaming mags. I was buying music CDs and Diablo III RoS was my first legal game for at least 5-7 years. Still remember my 1st bought CD (though I don't have it).

I registered D3 vanilla first and then upgraded the game to RoS when I registered the RoS key. You need to register it. Otherwise you might not be able to even install it. I can't check it and verify as I have already registered and installed. :)

10. Excalibur

I am currently installing it (?) which seems like it's downloading it? So basically you can't even install it if you don't have an online connection?

11. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Yes. And it's better & faster if you download the client from BNet site and not install the game from DVD. After all the long check, the game files will be downloaded anyway as there are massive differences. The DVD contents looks like installer + hidden game files so you can't rip or so. As it's still online, they could use these DVDs in much better way - like adding some bonuses, manuals, game soundtracks, some video featurettes. :p

12. Excalibur

Indeed, I was waiting quite a lot before it completed.

Few more questions!
    I played a bit D3 and then I installed RoS. I guess the character is automatically upgraded to RoS?
    Which is the latest D3 and RoS patch?
    I managed to play without entering the serial. I did that right after exiting the game. So, what did exactly the serial unlock?
    There was no RoS shortcut so I still run the game through D3 shortcut. How can I be certain that it runs Ros instead of the original D3?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am not so familiar with that Bnet stuff. I also haven't played D3 before so I can't really spot the differences between them.

13. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Patch 2.4.1 is the latest I think. The currently hot 2.4.2 is on PTR (Public Test Realm) - the separate Diablo 3 server for community-based testing. Players here are encouraged to seek bugs and test the upcoming features. Later, the tested patch will be installed to regular game server & pushed to players.

If you have played without the serial, then maybe you were playing as Starter Edition player (-> demo of the game).

I also don't have RoS shortcut, instead I have D3 one.

I am not sure but your bnet app screen for D3 with RoS should look like mine. I've embedded a screenshot of my bnet app. You will have it a bit different as I have Polish language of the app and game. Other Bnetable via app games are either available as starters or buyable. Hope this helped you. Anyway, feel free to add me :p I won't be playing D3 soon as I am doing a D2 run to refresh the story (normal difficulty level, later I will push Nightmare and Hell).

Anyway, you should already have RoS installed. Check the game folder size - it should be about 17-25 GB. Mine is 21 GB but your might be different as you will have English version. It's possible to install more than 1 language.

Hope I helped :)

Edit: check if you can play as Crusader. It's a RoS-added class. If you can, than you have RoS. If not - you either haven't registered RoS or you have some other problem.

Attached Files:

14. Excalibur

Okay Patch 2.4.1 is the one I have!
    My bnet app screen is the same! It's seems like Ros is enabled but now I am quite confused on whether you can play the original D3 or not!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I am currently missing D2 as well. I thought I should wait when I heard about the new patch in case the release another one with new content but seems like I will end up installing it anyway!

What's your nickname in Bnet? It has no matches for RadTang.

15. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

RadTang#2819 idk if that's correct. Bnet site shows me that. That's my BattleTag, a nickname usable on Bnet. The Bnet app shows the ncik without numbers but after a click on it, it's possible to change one's status and you see the full nick (with numbers). IDK what they are meaning.

Probably when I finish D2, the current season will end and they will put patch 2.4.2 live.

Also, check your bnet site. You should have it like on the file I have embedded. I have censored the private data.
    Diablo 3 bar: Reaper of Souls - standard edition. It's all Polish again.

Attached Files:

16. Excalibur

Okay I sent you a request! One last questions! What is a seasonal character?!
    I am currently lvl 16 and I haven't touched any skills. They are given automatically and I stick to them! I will probably need some help on how to progress my char.. :)

17. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Thanks ! :) Seasonal characters are the special ones which are ladder-compatible. This means you can compete with others and you can get a reward at the end of season - a whole set of items. I can't help you with progression as I haven't even RUN the game. Haha. It just lies installed on my HDD eating up 21 GBs of space :) Have to kill Baal in D2 to "unlock" myself mentally for D3 :p As you may know, D3 is set about 20 years ago after the events of D2. The world is different as the Worldstone was destroyed (the one soulstone which was a source of all other soulstones, as far as I remember). Sorry for spoilers. :)

18. Excalibur

So basically what the point of not making a seasonal character? Don't worry about the spoilers since I am not following the lore. :p

19. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

There's basically no point as the seasonal character will be automatically moved to non-seasonal state after the end of season. This mean that you can still play with it.

Excalibur likes this.
  20. Excalibur

I see, it’s just like the ladder thing in D2.

Game’s quite easy so far. I am level 32 and I only died once after being careless.
    I raised the difficulty too and still quite easy.

I decided to mess a bit with the skills and not wait for any advice since it seems that skills are automatically unlocked and you just choose which ones you want to have so it’s not about spending skill points and being afraid of making something wrong.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    RadTang likes this.