Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Auction House Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_385447" align="alignright" width="200"][​IMG] Auction House memories?[/caption]Moldran put together an interesting video recapping the highs and lows of the Diablo III Auction House. It's narrated with lots of footage pulled from his and other streamer's archives, and while it focuses mostly on bugs and controversial bits that were only a small portion of the Auction House experience (for most players), it's informative. (Then again, focusing on the disasters is how most media works. "100,000 Planes landed safely today" isn't exactly headline material.)

Diablo 3 Auction House Greatest Hits

Stir any AH memories for you guys? I don't want the AH back, but I have to admit feeling some nostalgia looking at those scenes of the interface and the happy sight of successful sales and buys. I enjoy actually finding gear in the game today, but I still more clearly recall my first billion gold item sale in D3v than any legendary item I've actually *found* in Reaper of Souls. *heretic*
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

I don't want the AH back, but I'd love to see a version of the selling interface return. Being able to see all the items on all your characters and stash in one place? Yes please.

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Was just thinking about D3v, made me remember all those useless whites that would drop and impossible legendary drop rates. I remember my friend having a mini tantrum because he played x5 as much as me and I got the first leg. Was that crappy shield that looks like a spiked wedge. That made him so unhappy lolburger :D

4. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Yay, another chance to beat on this dead horse! AH brings up memories of the game being unplayable at launch, of the community melting like butter in a frying pan, of the underagebans coming in singing praises to d-Bay & starting the toxic community of fanboys vs haters D3 still struggles with to this day. Memories of bashing the AH & the pathetic gameplay & end game on the forums being more fun than actually playing the game. Memories of logging on, checking your AH listings and bids, then signing off. Memories of telling Blizzard everyday, 100 times a day how bad this BS sucks & having them sing praises about it and ignore/dismiss/ban everyone who disagrees while swearing it's never going away. Watching the shitstorms brew full force when the post patch exploits would hit, & Blizz would be all like "d-Bay is serious business yo!" I'm sure there's plenty more stuff, but I've already wasted too much of my life writing about this abominable BS game mechanic. Mage Slayer is right though, it WAS cool to be able to check all your gear from the AH interface... Hope they bring that part back.

5. Brumbek

Brumbek IncGamers Member

Flux, the memorable point is an interesting one. I found a Justice Lantern with a top AS roll and sold it for $90 within the first hour of listing it. The funny part was Blizzard had already announced the retroactive Attack Speed nerf a couple days before, and I've always wondered if people buying high AS Justice Lanterns knew they were about to be nerfed.

My point: the story above is definitely more memorable than anything I've found in RoS, but I hated the AH/RMAH and I love finding gear myself. So ironically, I'd rather have no potential for bombastic tycoon stories and simply enjoy the game for the fun of playing.

6. Boomslang

Boomslang IncGamers Member

Miss me yet?

No, no, no.

7. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

Mmm. I too still have fond memories of the AH that stand out more than any memories I've had with RoS. Eh, I remember being happy that the AH had been removed, but really the only thing it ended up achieving was highlighting the significant underlying problems that the game had always had. And the main problems with the AH were the real-money part, and the tremendous amounts of bugs/exploits.

8. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

wirt's original leg ... i had 9 of them ... sold!

9. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

... i bought them all previously, i must admit.

nerdwards likes this.
  10. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

I'm glad I came to the game after this mess :(

11. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

The inventory and stash system are a relic of games past that every dev seems to be happy to be dragging into every new game. Dream feature for d3x2 and/or d4: fuse the two. Make all items accessible anywhere at any time. What does a 'stash' add beyond more clicks and general inconvenience?

12. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

I actually played longer in D3V than RoS. Although w/ seasons I'll cram many hours into a shorter time frame, compared to D3V, but after a couple of weeks, I don't care and check out. In D3V, I was searching for the perfect X, and of course it never came (I did find, and sell, a two socket Manticore, w/ vitality). In RoS, you get your gear early and often. And there still is never enough to do w/ the gear you do find. Not PvP, no complex raid, etc. At least selling gear could get you a different, more fun game :p

13. koko

koko IncGamers Member

The possibility to not lose selected items when you die?

14. Carlyle

Carlyle IncGamers Member

The AH hurt the game in many more ways than just breaking item as a core system and endorsing pay2win gameplay:

Think of all the planned features and content they had to cut when they were only half way through development and suddenly had to focus all their capacities towards turning the whole thing into sophisticated post-purchase payment machine instead. This way, it also became very much apparent what kind of company Blizzard had become.

15. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 IncGamers Member

The biggest flaw in the AH was there was no cure for inflation. Not inflation of gold, but inflation of items.

The market was absolutely flooded with things people didn't need. You could buy something, use it, and then when you found better, attempt to re-sell it. Items basically never went away until there was too much junk and anything worthwhile was out of most people's price range.

I looked forward to finding something I could sell for good money, but I didn't get to end game fast enough to ever do so. I never bought anything for real life money, but would often buy cheap upgrades as an alternative to crafting when leveling.

While the game is fine the way it is today, I don't see that the AH was really that big of an issue, if they'd just add in the concept of making an item account bound once it's been used in combat.

16. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I very much doubt that AH made any difference in regard to planned features and content. At Blizzard teams are highly compartmentalized from what I hear and I think it's unlikely the the programmers who worked on the backend and security for AH do anything else but that kind of work.

17. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

It's also nice to have a need to return to town once in a while, break up the action and spend time looking at our loot in peace.

18. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Its was actually the attitude of many whom basically would attack anyone whom said anything negative about the game back then. It was difficult to provide any constructive criticism about the game without attracting an army of fevered D3 defendants. I think they started another website called diablofans =D

19. koko

koko IncGamers Member

Not a fan of this one. I liked the idea of the cauldron of Jordan and the Nephalem cube.

20. Llama8

Llama8 IncGamers Member

Adest, you appear to have forgotten all of the " toxic " crap that started well before the game even launched with the art controversy and has been going on pretty much constantly ever since over one thing or another.