Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2D or 3D ???

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by bergbusen, Nov 9, 2006.

1. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

Diablo 2D or 3D ???

We had a hard discussion yesterday about diablo, and one person claimed that diablo is all isobaretic 2d. But we other think that some of the game is in 3d.

We know that the game is tile_based but we had diffrent opniiuos about if its 2d or 3d.

????

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

You move within 2 dimensions in a 3D space. There is no change in elevation. Call that what you will.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

It's two-dimensional with the illusion of three, regardless of aiming or other such appearances. When you're walking up the steps in Harrogoth, you're actually just walking on a plain surface that is drawn to look like steps. This is why the perspective option in the video menu was made, though each tile is separated from the others (trees appear to sway when walking away from them with 3DP active).

4. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

It can often be hard to determine, AFAIK many less advanced first person shooters are actually made up out of only 2d graphics but in such a way it appears to be 3d (maybe not as common nowadys, but still)

And yea, DiabloII seems like 2d to me...

5. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

Yes maybe his right, its drawn 2d but looks like 3d, I tryd rotating the charactars, and they can only rotate like steps off 35 degress. As like in real 3d 1 degrees step.

I just think what a ****ing work making all that in 2d.

6. Nonethewiser

Nonethewiser IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 2D or 3D ???

DII is most definitely 2D. Anyone ever played Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on the SNES? It's isometric 2D like Diablo. That even has elevation changes though lol. I like how effect they were able to make the illusion of elevation by putting in stairs at the right angle and blocking of the "ledges."

7. flagella

flagella IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 2D or 3D ???

If you've done baal run with a CE from necro, you'll see the whole stair covered with splatters and the stair is nothing but a drawing.