Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

diablo 2 vs diablo 2 expansion

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by mischa, May 12, 2005.

1. mischa

mischa IncGamers Member

diablo 2 vs diablo 2 expansion

hey all! i just wanted to see what people thought of the diffrences between the expansion and non-expansion. i havn't played diablo in months and i was playing expansion the last i played. i gave away my acount to one of my friends before i left too. so yeah i hated it so bad cuz of all the super rare items such as the runes and charms... but in nonexpansion they don't have runes or charms! :D so i wanted to see what other people think about the difference between the versions because i might start up again on normal diablo.

2. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Items in normal diablo are even more rare e.g. from my time there was a duped battle hammer providing about 150-420 damage (more than the two higher version unique of this weapon from LoD (Legendary Mallet)) and there was a cho-ko-nu providing 50-150 damage... totally insane duped rares :(

3. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

In my view, classic D2 is like, when you get a "Free Demo" Cd. You can play the full game, but only to an extenct...

If you thought LoD's items were overpowered then perhaps you'll like Classic more...

In my view, advantages and disavantages of Classic over LoD

Classic's Disadvantages:
    - Mercs are redundant, nothing more then temporary distractions... It's very rare to actually see Classic D2 chars using mercs.
    - Lvling is a pain in the "rear"... I remember my first char taking forever JUST to reach nm...
    - Items are stupidly underpowered when compared to LoD (wich can be an advantage if you rather the challenge, however there are far less possible character builds)
    - 2 less characters, Assasin and Druid, wich, in my view, are a lot of fun.
    - the items are not only underpowered but also far less diverse...
    - less 1 full Act, a big one...
    - classic's best items aren't any easier to find then the expansion's items

Classic's Advantages:

- More challenging to trully "hardcore" players..
    - ..and..that's about it I can think of...

4. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

I hate the extra-small stash in Classic. It was a benediction the day they increased the stash size :D ! As you said, hirelings were completely useless in Classic. I'm not sure you could equip them as well. A lot of bugfixes and improvements were done on the expansion Pack. There's no doubt about it for me. I'm playing since 1.05 or 1.07 (can't remember exactly) and I really love the 1.10 now.

5. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Merc in classic dies when you die, when you go to another act, when they die, when they get to far away from you etc. and can't be equipted, lvled, or ressurected for that matter :(

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I made a classic sorc for Hellforge rushing, but I was never in the mood to rush more than a single character, so I deleted her again. BTW, static field isn't capped in classic nightmare and hell mode.

7. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Are you sure about that? My static sorc surely couldn't harm diablo last time I tried in an 8 players game. :(

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Perhaps you haven't been near enough to him. Sometimes the bnet server has a different idea of a character's location than your computer...

9. mischa

mischa IncGamers Member

ackk!! all i gotz ta say is who the hell cares about mercs?! what i really want is for people to focus on their skillz and what items they are wearing!! i really love pvp.. is d2 classic deserted now or what? anyway i hate all the cheap duels that happen in d2 expansion! that's one of the reasons i quit because there are too many cheap ass peeps in expansion.. you have to be rich to pvp! like fill your inventory with charms?! ackk! and socket your items makin rune words.. big whoop.. i hate all that.. i think you should find your item and stick the hell with it.. maybe trade that single non-dupe item for another that is more to your liking.. but really i hate how you have to play forever to stand a chance against all those retards that play all day long everyday that have every item listed.. i love d2 classic because your goals there are more real.. you don't have to play alllll the time to be good in pvp.. i myself have trained with the mouse so well that it's really your strategy with the mouse rather than all that crazy items such as runes, jewls and charms! ack i hate those... the assassin is fun but in duels she's cheap so i couldn't care less about her not being there... the druid is pretty crazy himself.. the characters and items that remain in d2 classic are very well balanced tho there may not be as great a selection of uniques but hey! look at them rares for once! those can be good too! :D

10. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

If you already made your decision why are you asking us?

11. mischa

mischa IncGamers Member

wanted to see what other people think and if there are any major diffrences between the games i didn't know already ;)

12. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

You can't have been playing classic for a long time :-\ because you're very wrong! :(

First the rares they use in classic are just as rare as the godly gear they use in LoD. All the best rares are duped in majority and everyone uses them in duels. It's just like runewords in LoD, cheat and you have a chance, don't cheat and you'll have a VERY hard time. The mouse aiming thing was important in 1.09 when zons were the best, but now with no pierce I can't see how mouse practise is more important than in LoD? Besides most people I know from classic scrolled anyway :(. Classic isn't balanced at all, it is just about who has the best rares in stead of uniques/runewords. It sounds like you expect that there aren't any dupes in d2 classic, but about 95% of the sojs there are duped...

Well after I've played classic in about 4 years I guess and LoD for about 1 year or so, I'd say that LoD is definitly a lot better than classic. Specially with 1.10 out, because now leveling in LoD is like leveling in classic 1.09 :)

13. mischa

mischa IncGamers Member

i didn't mean aiming with the mouse is not needed in classic! infact mouse-work is one of the biggest things in the game for any pvp duel in expansion or non expansion! back in the day when i had great characters on lod i was awesome! i had no cheats yet people still suspected i was using auto aim with my tornados! you just have to know what you're doing! with the right strategy you can beat any character whether godly or not with not godly gear! to hell with sojs and all those extremely rare items i say! you don't need them to kick ass! godly characters = cheap duels hands down! i proved once before you don't need high level stuff to beat the crap outa godlies! i will do it once again with my single barbarian in classic diablo II!! :cool:

14. Frosty_The_Snowman

Well if you play LoD, you'll *certainly* care about mercs. My sorceress makes love to me each night, since I gave Infinity to her merc ;)...

15. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

She'll soon dump you for the merc and his big stick :lol:

16. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Nova Sorcs were cool. I miss that. That's about it.

17. mischa

mischa IncGamers Member

haha i've always been such a loner :cool: i never use mercs! i've tried it out before but then you have to take care of two characters at all times.. i say either go it alone or with a gigantic army of skellies and such or with lots of dogs to take the shots.. dogs and birds.. and a spirit :D
    so i say to hell with mercs.. just use a lot of minions to take all the damage for yah!

18. Frosty_The_Snowman

I won't try to convince you any longer ;) Just remember two things : Mercs are crap in Classic, mercs are godly in Expansion :p Unless of course, you're right and the zillions players that give high-end RW's to their Act2 mercs are wrong :lol: !

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yes, use your minions to kill. getting a stuipid might merc that can double your speed and be a strong tank against diablo or baal where your minions tend to fall apart on sight (esp against diablo). Never mind the extra MF they can provide, never kind the factr they generally have better AI than your minions. Its just too much effort running to quel kehk (sp?) every once in a while when he dies.....
    Anyway, i say classic was ok, but once your have LoD, theres no going back.

20. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

And this is why I will not, under any circumstance concider WoW :innocent: