Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2 TCP/IP problems?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by mrmin123, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mrmin123

mrmin123 IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 TCP/IP problems?

a friend and i are trying to play TCP/IP over the internet with diablo 2, just for kicks, but we always get this 'cannot connect to server' error (when any one of us is hosting). is it because we're behind a router/firewall? is there some reason why we get this error? i've read at some places that it's tcp/ip over a network, which i don't think we're in, so is it because of that? if that's the reason, is there a workaround to play TCP/IP when we're not on the same network? thanks!

2. tio

tio IncGamers Member

I am not 100% sure why you cant play ,one of the reasons i had was the firewall that comes swiched ON with XP SP2,so make sure that is switched off.

Also maybe i am wrong (fairly new to this game) surely you could just play on open battlenet at set times and password the game? wouldnt that be the same thing?

Good luck

Edit...both my pcs are behind the router firewall and can connect to each other and to the internet and play it was ONLY the SP2 firewall that added the problems

3. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

You can use tcp/ip over internet, i did that a lot before i played on bnet. Your problem probably has to do with routers and firewalls, but I'm not an expert on that.

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yes. You need to forward the TCP port on the server-side. It's the TCP port 4000; I'm also prioritizing TCP port 6112, but I don't actually remember why I did that...

5. Venym

Venym IncGamers Member

As long as you've set a rule within your firewall to allow D2 through it should be okay.

Mine's behind 2 firewall's (AVG & Windows although can we call that a firewall :scratch: ) and it runs ok.

I get an odd disconnect now n then but that's it.

6. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Make sure you have ports 4000 and 6112-6119 open. Some firewalls have game names and you can choose Diablo 2 and it will automatically open it for you. Other firewalls you will have to poke around a little and save those ports open manually. Be careful in there, though.

7. mrmin123

mrmin123 IncGamers Member

it works! thanks for all the help guys :)