Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] Diablo 2 pocket knife

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Carawolk, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Carawolk

Carawolk IncGamers Member

I could not help but notice that even the most skilled and veteran players in this forum sometimes seem to ignore some simple tips and tricks related to the game. Hotkeys, shortcuts, exploitation of bugs, easter eggs, all these little things that make our game experience better by either making it easier or richer.

So I thought I'd make this thread, everyone can contribute the aim is to make a compilation of little known facts and tricks about diablo 2, every contribution is welcome, even questions, the best and most useful/funny submissions will be highlighted and linked to in this first post. I will see that this gets done every week or so, provided this thread actually lives that long :p

Trolling authorized and encouraged if so enclined!

To kick things off, I discovered yesterday a very useful way to reset the game when farming a map over and over. I used to click "single player", then my character followed by the "hell" difficulty button. Well it is actually way easier, faster (and safer for your map if it is a good one) to just click "single player", press "Enter" then the "H" key.
    Most of you might already know this but a lot might also ignore it so... this is how this thread is meant to work.

Surprise the greenest of us and who knows, you might just learn something about this game still !

tips:

bugged ethereal armors
    hotkeys for buying and potions
    inventory space management
    no cold dmg when horking!

optimize your hotkeys layout
    speedrunning tips and link
    stackable effect of potions

tricks:

/nopickup command
    mercbombing
    overlooking high rune drops in superchests
    teleport over greater distances
    use WW properly

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    IDMooseMan likes this.
  2. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

For necros - Dim Vision is quite useful ! Not a thing to use very frequently but it helps against Shamen and other ressurecting monsters. As far as I know, Fetish Shamen aren't ressurecting much. At least on normal and nightmare.

3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Use telekinesis on WPs (and sometimes portals) to save time. Use TK to pop chests/racks as well.

Change your hotkeys. F1,2,3... are TERRIBLE. I personally prefer to set qwer/asdf/zxcv for skills, g for weapon swap.

Use space instead of alt to "show items". This doubles as a way to minimize the risk of tapping the windows key as well as just being nicer in general

IDMooseMan likes this.
  4. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

ctr+left mouse click to sell an item.

Right mouse click to buy an item.

Shift+right click potions when buying from vendors to fill belt slots.

Shfit+ 1-4 (or whatever you have as hotkeys for potions) to feed potions to merc.

Couple twink tips:

If your early twinkings main purpose is to speed up the normal difficulty, use a lot of +FRW gear. 7FRW charms are available from level 14, "Stealth" armor from 17 and e.g. Cow King's boots from level 13. Pick all jewels in norm (and well, everywhere else too, ofc!). Easy way to pile up those envy jewels (+20 poison dmg) for some early power leveling. Khalim's Will is awesome early weapon, it's really fast and has some damage too.

Learn maps. http://nightfallx2.wix.com/d2speedruns#!map-layouts/cmoz is a good resource for some general tips. Has also the basic speed run builds. Useful tips even if you're twinking yourself.

IDMooseMan likes this.
  5. Carawolk

Also, shift+left click on potions in your inventory to automatically sort them into your belt.
    shift+right click also fills up tomes and key stacks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    IDMooseMan and SunsetVista like this.
  6. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 IncGamers Member

More "things learned by watching speedruns": The effect from stamina/thawing/antidote potions stacks. Drink one, effect lasts 30 seconds, drink 3, effect lasts 90 seconds and so on. Helps with running at early levels when stamina is low, also with Andy and Duriel fights, especially if playing untwinked.

Also, fastest way to get to Act 3 after speaking with Jerhyn, is to go down to the palace and TP to the harbor. (ok, this saves few seconds at best, but it's convenient).

7. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Many people sort charms in inventory from left to right and on the right side they have some empty space to pick up things.
    Do it the other way around, sort charms from right to left and have empty space on the left side because when you open inventory screen, inventory is to the right and ground is on the left. That way it is much more convenient to drop stuff to the ground faster. Same thing is by having cube in inventory (if you pick up stuff into cube as many MF-ers do).

Unless you are questing with your character, seriously ask yourself do you really need that tome of town portal in your inventory, or tome of identify. How much do you expect to use tome of TP if you, say, repeatedly run Pindle or other area? Exactly, you don't need it. If you want, you can store scrolls of TP in your belt. 4 are more than enough for anything. I didn't use TP scroll for years outside questing. Use those 2 slots of inventory space for something better.

Teleporting with inventory or character screen open makes for a longer teleports (nearly 50% longer). It doesn't really matter, but you could shave some time if you say are running CS. Simply tele there with inventory screen open if you don't kill something in river (you have to get with mouse "under" opened inventory screen while holding teleport down).

Proper technique of using Whirlwind IS NOT to reclick every direction change. Simply hold mouse button down and learn to do whirling through target in both directions repeatedly. By holding it down you can also normally go through monsters and everything since monsters are not selected if you hold button down continuously.

It is possible to hork targets while having items displayed, you just have to swirl mouse around lightly to cross over corpses since displayed items are preventing you from clicking on corpses.

When running Travincal with Enigma, use act 4 town as starting and ending point. It is faster than walking through town in act 3.

If you are playing barb who uses item find skill, try not to use ANY source of cold damage because it will shatter corpses, and that you don't want. Ravenfrost is a NO GO on such barbarians, despite offering nice bonuses. Cold damage from it makes it inferior to random rare ring or Nagelring.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

hrumph.

I'll have you know that failing to do the tele technique only resulted in ONE HC death for me :p (necro)

9. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

I have sold my Tome of Identify just to squeeze two more small charms of fortune (each 4% MF) :D I have planned to do it after I saved Cain in hell. Now my MF is 140 and I still get shit drops in A1 Hell -,- As far as drops are of concern, WS K & Chamber and Baalrunning were much better. I am doing hell at p8 and died to Archer boss pack in Tower Cellar lvl 5. Lost a lot of experience because I tried to get the body back. :( At least I went outside for a walk...

10. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

I like to play with /nopickup enabled. This in game command requires you to 'Show Items' in order to pick anything up. I didn't know about this one for years.

IDMooseMan, pharphis and NorthDakota like this.
  11. Carawolk

when you're looking for runes in superchests either in Lower Kurast of River of Flames, often the chest will spit out more items then the screen can display when holding "alt". Therefore you sometimes miss a rune since it has droped but the name is not displayed. One way to reduce the risk of overlooking a high rune is to press "alt" right after targeting the chest. You will see the items flow out in a rapid stream, if you see something orange pass through, pick up the stuff (the gold) until you can see what rune it is.

I almost overlooked a Vex that way once. I can't help but think I have overlooked a Ber or two :'(

IDMooseMan likes this.
  12. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Position yourself below and to the right of the chest when opening it. Items tend to flood to the right side in diablo and by opening chest from the left increases risk of missing items. Before digging, teleport/position yourself to the right of the dropped items, maybe you will see what you wanted to see without digging.

IDMooseMan, pharphis and Carawolk like this.
  13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's a rather unkown trick, even for long-term players. I'm pretty proud that I found it out by myself :)

That's worth doing for any area in act 3 which ends near a place which brings you into act 4, like after Meph run or on a good LK map.

When starting a game in act 2 (like on Tunnel runs), talk to Jerhyn Warriv and go to act 1 where the town waypoint is closer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    pharphis likes this.
  14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That would be Warriw you talk to =)

pharphis and LiquidClear like this.
  15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Whoops, yes. Jerhyn is the one with the harem :)

16. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Pro tip: if you win 1v1 with Kaelan, you can see the girls.

<joke of course>

17. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

You get to see the girls anyway, they're just not breathing anymore :p

RadTang likes this.
  18. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Umm.. yeah :D they're just right for the necromancer. No bitching about stupid things ! No hour-long shopping ! No "am I fat in this dress?" !

19. Carawolk

thread assassination inb4.

20. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

In the early game, if you run into a pack(s) of strong foes, you can kill them without danger if you have stairs nearby by mercbombing them repeatedly. Your merc will attack before they have any chance to hit you.

IDMooseMan likes this.