Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2 or Diablo 1?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Zod, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Zod

Zod IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 or Diablo 1?

Hi, I'm a new member. I haven't played Diablo, but I have played other games from Blizzard, and they are quality products. With Diablo 3 coming out next year, I wanted to play one of the old games as well. However, I don't know which one to play. Is it necessary (story-wise) to play 1 before 2? If not, I wanted to know which one to play:

- I'd like the one with the better story and characters.
    - I don't care for the graphics much.
    - I realize that while Diablo 1 may have been more ahead of its time, I'm looking for the better game in more absolute terms, since I don't really care which came first. Which do most people say is better (in absolute terms)?

Thanks in advance.

2. boogyman19946

boogyman19946 IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 2 or Diablo 1?

Interesting way to name yourself. Zod. Just as the highest rune in D2 >.>

Either way, I haven't played much of D1, so I can't say that it's better than D2, but D2 in itself is a good game and worth checking out if you have played neither one of them.

3. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

Definitely play D1 first and then move on to D2. I mean, the Diablo battle chest can't be that expensive, and it comes with both plus the LoD expansion.
    As for which is the better game, it depends on the player. If you want a great horror film ambiance/ feel, I'd say D1. If you're looking for a game (almost) completely focused on loot, pick up D2.
    I still say play both. Besides, D3 may take longer than you think ;)

4. Zod

Zod IncGamers Member

Lol boogyman, actually Zod is a character from a comic series that I read recently.

Okay, I got the games to run on my PC. Diablo 2 is fine, but the graphics in 1 are messed up. Googled around and apparently there is no way to fix that apart from Win 98 :(

I guess 2 will have to do. But do I need to read up on the story for 1, or can I start 2 straight away? Does it have an independently complete story-line?

5. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

Nah, the story doesn't really matter, its interesting (i like it) but unnecessary. Oh, and D2's story is independently complete, sort of.

6. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

You'll get the gist of D1 in D2 anyways.

7. boogyman19946

There is a guy (you) from a town called Tristram fighting against a prime evil known as Diablo. There is a lot of stuff going on in between but it ends by him killing Diablo in the dungeons (or w.e) below Tristram. Diablo 2 follows from there, but it Cain and other NPCs retell the story so you don't need to know Diablo 1's story in order to get into Diablo 2.

What boggled me is Marius... Who the heck is he? Why is he in D2? Why isn't the character you're currently playing in the story line? Idk, maybe D3 will recap on that too ^.^ I mean, the prime evils' soul stones have been destroyed, the barrier between Earth and Hell has been broken, and there is no chance of Diablo or his brothers ever returning. It's going to take some GENIUS story writing to follow THAT ending seal.

8. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

How did you draw that much information out of the worldstone being destroyed? o_O

Besides didn't they say that no one would really know the full effect that destroying the worldstone would have on Sanctuary?

9. boogyman19946

no, no no no no... you got it all wrong :thumbup:

To tell you the truth, I don't actually remember what was said. I believe Tyrael said something along the lines "this is the only way to make sure evil doesn't get into your world" or some bs like that. Besides, the 3 soul stones were destroyed anyway, so the demons no longer exist. Who's going to be in the sequel? Diablo's uncle?

10. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

The way I read it was that since the worldstone was tainted, and would eventually open a portal for hells minions, destroying it would be the better option, despite not knowing the exact effects.

However according to the Sin Wars trilogy, the worldstone was made to keep the powers of the Nephalem (or whatever they were called again) in check, and to shield Sanctuary from the view of High Heaven and Burning Hells. Although Sanctuary was still discovered during the Sin Wars.

With it destroyed, there is no telling what will happen. Especially considering that D3's story takes place 20 years was it(?) after D2. >_>

11. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

korialstraz got it right

12. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

Easy peezy, Tyrael is going to be the enemy (or one of them) in D3.

Also, Cain might be a boss. That would be epic...

"Stay a while, and DIEEE!"

13. boogyman19946

Rofl. XD That would be hilarious. Maybe they'll make a secret Cain level for him as an easter egg, just like D2 and it's cow level :scratchchin:

14. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Oh, man, a bunch of old dudes chasing you around the screen yelling, "get off my lawn!!"

15. Zod

Zod IncGamers Member

Alright, so I started Diablo 2 with Necromancer and I'm enjoying it. I do have quite a few beginner's questions:

1- The easiest way to fight with Necromancer is...don't fight, and let the summonings do the work. I use a curse spell with this as well. Is there some downside to this, like losing experience points if you don't kill enemies yourself? And I need a guide to necromancer as well.

2- I need a link to a basic guide. I mean as in very basic, like describing why items are different colors etc.

3- I'm on vacation and didn't bring my own computer, so I'm playing on my brother's. Is there a way to transfer saved game data from one computer to another, because I'm heading back in a few days and in case I don't finish the game, I need to save the data so I can continue back home on my own PC.

Thanks again.

16. boogyman19946

Let's see how this goes:

1. Yes indeed, the safest way to kill is with your minions, and I do not believe that you lose experience through that. Frankly, even online, when playing in a party, you don't have to kill anything and you'll get experience as long as your close enough. As far as a guide goes, maybe someone could point you better than I can so I'll leave it to someone else :D

2. This game has an interesting way of introducing people into the game. As you start off a character, you're playing on Normal. Once you beat Baal (the very final boss) you get access to Nightmare which is significantly harder. After Nightmare comes hell, which is really what it's called... hell. :D Guaranteed that by the time you finish normal or at least nightmare, you'll know what those items are =]

3. If you're playing online, the saves are stored on the servers so you can access them from anywhere. If you are playing on single player, you can access them in the "save" folder where you installed Diablo (usually at C:\Program Files\Diablo II). Just copy all files with your character's name and put it on your PC in the same folder, and you'll have your saves copied.

17. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

If you DO play single player, I suggest you read SP forum's stickys about RWmod and Atma ;)

18. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

Look up basic information about D2 on the Arreat Summit (Google it). Its got answers to many of the questions you have probably have.

19. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Welcome to Diablo 2!

As michaeljay said, the website Arreat Summit will give you all the beginner information you need for this game: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/

It's a fantastic resource for someone starting out. On the left-hand menu are all the topics: click on the "items" link and scroll down to the bottom of that page to get information on what the different colors of items are.

As for the necromancer guide, I think this one will be what you're looking for (written by the guy the popular build is named after, Nightfish): http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349093

Lastly, if you're going to be looking up more information on these forums or on other Diablo 2 sites, you will soon realize there are tons of acronyms, shortened words and other jargon that people use for this game. This list, while not the most explanatory, might be helpful in decoding some of those acronyms for you: http://www.diablowiki.net/Abbreviations_and_Acronyms

Enjoy!

-f