Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2 Easter Eggs, Assistance Requested

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Diablo 2 Easter Eggs, Assistance Requested

I've made a new D2 Easter Eggs page in the wiki, and I'm trying to get it to cover all of them. All I could remember while writing it, and find from a couple of crappy EE sites, are there now. But I'm sure there are more I've forgotten, or perhaps never even knew about.

Take a look at the current entries and if you know any that aren't listed, let me know.

Also, in the D3 wiki we're trying to compile a list of all the Easter Eggs in other games that reference something from Diablo. We've got a good list for SC2, but I'm sure the WoW list could be expanded, and for other games there's only HGL and Borderlands. And I'm sure that list is much, much longer. Add any of those you know, por favers.

D3: http://www.diablowiki.net/Easter_Eggs

2. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Re: Diablo 2 Easter Eggs, Assistance Requested

Civerb's Vestments (Set)

Civerb's Cudgel (also appeared in D1)
    Civerb's Icon
    Civerb's Ward

Named after Blizzard North President David Brevik. Brevik spelled backwards (the k replaced with "c")

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

First quest of Act 1:

You can let "Monsters remaining: 666" appear on the screen if you bring the number of monster to 5 or below and let a Fallen Shaman revive some Fallens after that.

Picture

Act 4, River of Flame:

The stone guards just before Hadriel (or whatever his name is) move their heads when you walk by them.

4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Schaeffer's Hammer was a weapon in D1 too, its name is a reference to the Schaefer brothers, Max and Erich.

WAIT A MINUTE. I just noticed that one of the iron wolves is named Flux :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. Flux

Flux Administrator

You know, since both those facts are mentioned on the quests pages (I wrote) you'd think I'd have had some memory of them?

Thanks, though.

6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Yes, its named after the above poster, same with Elly one of the act 1 mercenarys.

- D.J.

Edit: I see it listed, but ginthers rift is not listed, it was a competition as i recall where the prize was a unique named after the winner.

Edit 2: The Mahim-Oak Curio is an anagram for a name if i recall correctly, and more of the more obvious refrences to pop culture is Biggin's Bonnet and Lightsabre.

Edit 3: Annihilus might be named after the marvel bad guy who lives in the negative zone, but this is just a theory (dont take my word for it).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Correct. In February 2001 as part of Blizzard's 10 year anniversary they held some competitions. On the 26th of February one of the things the winner got was to have their name on an item. The winner was Gray Ginther.

Not sure if it's classed as easter eggs or something, but there's other things like animations that are currently not used in the game (such as the assassin's jumping flip) as well as some sounds (such as Jamella from Act 4, both an old and young version of her), to name a few.

What about Reziarfg? That's more of an easter egg on Blizzard's official Arreat Summit website I guess. On that same note is the rust storm animation there as well as that sound thingy.

Other things that come to mind are the observers from SC1 that when clicked enough repeat Adria's "I sense a soul in search of answers".

I seem to remember something else to do with one of the vendors, but cannot think of it at the moment.

8. DoctorNightfall

DoctorNightfall IncGamers Member

Well, as far as easter eggs go, there's something I noticed the other day. I've searched for this, but noone else seems to have noticed, so here goes...

Look at the figure of The Summoner, from Act II of D2 (Part of the Horazon's Journal Quest, if anyone needs that info). I realised that he/she looked horribly familiar, and then googled what I thought he/she looked like.

Rita Repulsa, from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers... colours, headdress, and staff!

9. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

The original Sacred has a clone of tristram

http://sacred.freehomepage.com/eastereggs/eastereggs.html

(bottom of page)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The Diggler, a unique dirk, got its name from the Boogie Nights movie... the chief character is called Dirk Diggler.

The point got completely lost in the German translation, of course :azn:

11. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I don't consider these to qualify as "Easter Eggs", but since I've seen that there's reference section in the wiki page (Names and Shout Outs), might as well point these out:

- Frozenstein (Act V Super Unique), is clear reference to Frankestein's monster.
    - Tancred (from Tancred's Battlegear, Item Set) was a important crusader of the first crusade in the IX century.
    - Aldur (from Aldur's Watchtower, Item Set) was one of the seven gods who created the world in David Eddings' The Belgariad.
    - Hwanin (from Hwanin's Majesty, Item Set), is the King of Heavens in Korean mythology.
    - Blade of Ali Baba (Unique Tulwar) and its properties are a reference to the famous character of the Arabic literature.
    - Messerschmidt's Reaver (Unique Axe in both games) is a nod to an important German naturalist of the same name who widely explored Siberia and found, and excavated, the first mammoth fossils.

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

thanks for the tips, everyone. Everything listed in this thread has now been added to the d2 and d3 EE pages. More tips, especially about diablo stuff in other games, remains welcome.