Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mesmerPT, Aug 1, 2015.

1. mesmerPT

mesmerPT Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys

So I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro and decided to run Travincal a bit. I noticed some things:

- Loading times are taking longer
    - Huge fps drop when I'm fighting the Council
    - Changing gamma settings in options does nothing

Weird, it's like I don't have much of a video card at all. When I upgraded I also downloaded the latest AMD drivers for Windows 10 (graphics card is a Radeon 7870). I also installed DirectX.

I tried to run the Diablo II video test utility (only got it to run in compatibility mode btw) and it recommended Direct3D.

Only when I switch to DirectDraw (2D) the game behaves normally. However, it looks way worse.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any issue.

Thanks!

2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I have no experience with Windows 10, sorry.

But are you using sven's glide wrapper? If not you should try it and see if it helps, just Google it.

3. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

4. djmbbandie

djmbbandie Diabloii.Net Member

3dglide works really well. I just installed D2 on my Windows 10 home and it runs better than on my Windows 7.

5. queenEm

queenEm Diabloii.Net Member

6. mesmerPT

Hey guys.

Fixed it with the wrapper. Thank you so much.

It still takes longer to load/save the game than Windows 7. But it's not a lot, so I think it won't bother me much.

:)

7. Ashenshugar

Ashenshugar Diabloii.Net Member

The wrapper stopped working when I upgraded to W10 and now all I get is a message in german about Windows and OpenGL. I'll have to try re-installing my drivers for the GPU.

*UPDATE

Updated the drivers, and now it seems to work again.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  8. mesmerPT

Somehow my wrapper was working fine but then I messed around with wrapper's options file. Now whenever I start D2 in Glide mode my video driver fails, the screen flickers and goes bonkers. And then a reboot.

I tried reinstalling the wrapper without the options file and still didn't work. I run with compatibility settings on (WinXP SP2) and as an administrator.

I guess I'm stuck playing in DirectDraw until I figure this out.

9. Ashenshugar

Ashenshugar Diabloii.Net Member

Could you try an older set of drivers? Or is it only the newest that will work in Windows 10?

10. mesmerPT

Well, I didn't try a driver rollback. Once I updated to Win10, I was immediately prompted to update with the newest, Win10 compatible drivers. However, I believe this is still the very first driver for Win10 so I think I don't have a previous driver to rollback to.

11. twillight

twillight Diabloii.Net Member

Planned Obsolescence.

12. Azimuthus

Azimuthus Diabloii.Net Member

Did the same as well and... after 4 days I downgraded back to Win 7 and live happily ever after ))

13. zticazzy

zticazzy Diabloii.Net Member

I was hit by this curse too. Brand new laptop, Lenovo Yoga 2.13, Windows 10 as OS (upgraded from 8), and loading times are pretty bad. Last night I spent a couple of hours trying to fix it, but neither 3Dglide nor DirectDraw 2D seemed to give it a good boost. The loading time when starting a new game increased of 4-5 seconds (with respect to Win 7 on my desktop PC), making it impossible to run targets like Trav and LK at a reasonable speed.

Edit: those who will help me solve this problem will be gifted with Vexs and Ohms :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  14. qwernt

qwernt Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have your solution, but a warning on Win10: You might have trouble time traveling. Win10 cut support for certain "verify the CD is there" technologies. I failed to load a couple of other games that came out at the same time as Diablo2 but I haven't verified D2 old builds yet.

15. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow Diabloii.Net Member

What you people mean to say is you downgraded to Windows 10 and then you upgraded back to 7 when you realized 10 was a piece of :p. It's only an upgrade if it's better.

16. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still at Window7, and my system is nice and stable, all my programs work and I know how to navigate the OS. Not much interest in upgrading. However, the upgrade is being pushed hard by Microsoft (constant reminders to upgrade). For those who have Windows10 and play D2...how was your experience upgrading? And did if negatively or positively impact your D2 playing?

17. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

I changed from a powerful desktop with win7 to a notebook with win8.1 and then win10. D2 was one of the few things I liked it better in win7. but I'm not sure if it's just because the wrapper etc etc needed more resources or not.

18. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

19. japanzaman

japanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

I actually had the opposite experience and found D2 worked faster on Win10 on my system, though there were some rather annoying bugs in other aspects of the system performance. Loading times for D2 have improved by about 2 sec which is really nice. Guess it just depends on your system and video card setup. I'm on a HP laptop with pretty modest specs.

20. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin Diabloii.Net Member

Wins 10s are hit and miss for most of the people. Half of them are absolutely satisfied with them, the other second hate it. That applies to various apps, Diablo included, too.