Diablo 1 bugs

Asty

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Diablo 1 bugs

Basically, getting stunned in Diablo is based on the mobs damage vs your health pool, regardless of whether mana shield is up or not. To ensure new characters have a lesser chance of getting stunlocked to death on the first level or 2, the game is coded in such a way that if you have 30 or less HP, you cannot get stunlocked.
Actually how is this works is if your character's life is lower than your character's level. so it would only apply to 30 life in you were level 31 or higher.

I have always been irked by a strange Battle.net bug. It happens mostly with the random health and mana potions you find littering the ground in the dungeons (not dropped by monsters, the ones that are just placed there) but it can also happen to the "treasure room items," the magic (and occasionally unique!) items that are pre-placed in enclosed rooms with gold and enemies (mainly in the Caves). Sometimes you will click the potion item, and nothing happens. Then you wait a few seconds, and... poof. Item is gone. Mildly irksome when it's a potion, enraging when it's a magic full-plate mail! Especially since you have to sit there and watch it happen, knowing what's coming once the item doesn't pick up, but powerless to stop it...
There is a way to avoid this if you have the telekinesis spell. basicly as a rule of thumb, never click on an item on the ground more than once. if you click on it once and it does not pick up, do not click a second time. items will only 'lag out' if you click on them multiple times. Instead, after the first failed attempt, use the telekinesis spell on it to pick it up.
As an added note to this bug, is that this almost always happens to the potions that spawn when touching Divine Shrine.

twipley

Diabloii.Net Member

No. It looks at both the amount of life one has in their pool at the moment, and at the amount of inflicted damage. If the latter is higher than the former, then the bug happens, and hit recovery is lacking.

EDIT: another, to my knowledge an unreported-by-Bolty-and-his-bug-gathering-team bug, is happening to me from time to time. Entering the cathedral, I would send a teleport-half-a-screen-right request, but instead I would be sent several screens to the left, for example. I think the bug has something to do with changing spells (e.g., mana shield) too quick.

EDIT2: concerning the mana-shield-bug discussion from above, one therefore should always keep his life ball at least 150 points filled up if he is to be using mana shield. The exception to this if meeleing the Lord of Terror on the Hell difficulty, where one should keep his life ball over 250 current points. However, it is to be noted and remembered that the to-hit of the latter only is of 84% on this difficulty (owing to the wrap-around bug discussed in another thread), so in practice 150 current life is good for much "main" legit purposes.

Last edited:

Erelyes

Diabloii.Net Member

Alluded to in Bolty's -

At high Chain Lightning levels, the number of bolts hits the 'sprite cap' if 127 as each bolt counts as a graphic. This causes "gapping" in the CL, and where there are gaps, there is no damage. For this reason CL is best kept around lvl 12. (personal preference).

When casting a scroll from your belt, it will have the spelllevel of the currently
selected spell.

I have the Playstation version and I have never experienced any bugs for it. Peace, Squid
By all means someone could play Diablo on PC for months and never 'experience' a bug - simply because they don't realise they are there.

ERayz

Diabloii.Net Member

There is a bug with spell casting that someone mentionned earlier in this thread, but I would like to add something

You can actually "Double cast" with scrolls and staves. For this you need to double right-click quickly when casting a spell from a scroll or staff, meaning you can get two charges from a scroll. You can also do this with your learned spells. Select a Spell, let's say you choose FireBolt level 15 you have. Cast it, and during the casting animation, switch to Fireball Level 1 (by example), and cast again ASAP. This will result in you casting a level 15 Fireball, even if you have it only level 1, you can tell by the speed Fireball flies.

This bug can also be used when you don't have enough mana to cast a spell twice. The game will still substract mana from your mana orb twice, resulting in going under 0 mana.

twipley

Diabloii.Net Member

Not the same, but just to note what I like doing is casting a spell, and then changing it at the last moment because of the circumstances. The monsters thus see a fire spell coming up, changed at the last moment.

Confusion on their faces is getting read a lot. :)

AntAnkh

Diabloii.Net Member

I found a chest in the Nest in Hellfire, which, when opened, removed two of my potions from slots 2 and 3 of my belt.

EDIT: I found another chest which took away the potions from slots 7 and 8 of my belt. Better stay away from chests in the Nest.

TeneiStarSierra

Diabloii.Net Member

Hello there,

I experienced something very strange...didn't think it could quite actually happen. Yesterday when I was leveling my Warrior I happened to stuck in level 8 (Cats). I entered via stairway and was able to explore about 3 rooms. The map was far from completed and there were fragments of rooms beyond my reach marked on the map. I entered again via the Caves through Tristram and worked my way back up. There I cleared the other "half" of level 8 and there was indeed no means of the two sections link up with another...
I took a screenshot of the map but since I'm not aware how to handel pcx-files I can't post it here... :(

Quanton

Diabloii.Net Member

the original diablo patch 1.9 there are still bugs with mana shield ?

Last edited:

AntAnkh

Diabloii.Net Member

Can't seem to see your pictures, pewee.

I seem to have found a bug in Hellfire where if I hit a Fountain of Tears on a Barbarian, my maximum mana becomes negative (since Magic gets a point taken from it). Presumably this happens with Mysterious Shrines as well.

Vagelaras

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi to everyone. I have never played a Blizzard game and I decided to start from this one. Anyway, I installed it and it runs, but when I play some pixels are white or yellow, you know, unexpected colors. I have Windows 7 32-bits and Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 3.1 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 550 Ti card. Is there any way to fix this problem ?? Please help.

fmulder

Site Contributor

Hi to everyone. I have never played a Blizzard game and I decided to start from this one. Anyway, I installed it and it runs, but when I play some pixels are white or yellow, you know, unexpected colors. I have Windows 7 32-bits and Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 3.1 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 550 Ti card. Is there any way to fix this problem ?? Please help.
Try looking here:
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-13200.html

Kamon

Diabloii.Net Member

There is a way to fix it that is relatively easy. All you have to do is when you're in the game, use alt tab to go to your desktop and open a task manager window. Go to your processes and end process explorer.exe. It will remove most of the things on your desktop but When you alt tab back into Diablo the weird pixels will be fixed. When you're done playing simply reopen the task manager and start explorer.exe again. It obviously does no harm to your machine and lets the game run better. They fixed this issue in Windows 8

numbuh-one

Diabloii.Net Member
I heard there was a death where you can cast mana shield and take off gear to glitch your health below 0 and be invincible. It was used in some speed runs. If i try in town it puts the hero at 1 and kicks me out of inventory. I the dungeon it locks the game up so you can only pause it.

I just started a 2 player game and did it close to the stairs and it loaded a corpse on the ground where the tp path meets the other 2. Even still shows the characters belt bar. Couldnt ever resurrect him till i went back in the dungeon. 'Tis strange no?

numbuh-one

Diabloii.Net Member
On PS1 D1, there is infact a experience cap glitch. I didnt get exp off obsidian lords on lvl 10 in hell mode till chara was like lvl 41 or 42! Im 44 now and on lvl 12, i only get exp off vipers and flayed ones. I get nothing off knights or succubus. Im even wondering if its possible to get clvl 50 on playstation

Last edited: