Diablo 1/2 newbie... any hints/tips?

Astroquicky

Diabloii.Net Member
Diablo 1/2 newbie... any hints/tips?

Hey guys, I've been following the Diablo III hype ever since I saw that awesome gameplay video, and promised myself I should get familiar with Diablo 2. So far I've only played a dozen hours of single player Diablo 2 several months ago though, so now I'd like to get back on that promise.

I'd love to play some multiplayer, but I'm afraid that the 10-year old community of online Diablo 2 players may not be so welcoming to new players. Is this fear unfounded? Do you have any suggestions as to where and how I should start my endeavours into online Diablo 2 gaming, considering that I have never even seen Act IV, let alone Hell or Hardcore mode? Are there things I should keep in mind, pay attention to, or keep away from?

I'm not a hardcore player (in the general sense, not the Diablo sense), and merely want to get a feel for what Diablo really is (both offline and online) and have some fun while I'm at it.

Thanks so much for your time.

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Diablo 1/2 newbie... any hints/tips?

howdy :)

D2 multiplayer is roughly split into 3:-
bots
idiots
nice people

With the help of these forums you could meet many nice ppl to play D2 with, so don't fear too much.

As for Ladder or Non Ladder, a recent discussion thread here on this topic.

As to Hardcore or softcore, I'd always say softcore as HC isn't for me, but ofc many ppl feel the other way.

I never really even considered SP D2, but we have a SP forum that should provide you some good reading.

Astroquicky

Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you for your help. Is there a certain level I'd probably try to obtain first before I dive into other people's games, so as not to annoy people with my newbism? :)

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

Well on bnet the more ppl in the game, the more xp you get (and there is a command for this in SP aswell). So at any level ppl will welcome you into their games as your presence means more xp for all.

On bnet it's not uncommon to play / leech all the way thru if that's your poison. I know many ppl prefer to play the game "as intended" but regardless of which ideology you subscribe to, more is usually better.

and tbh you'd be going some to be the newbest out there, you'd be amazed at the oddness on bnet :D.

SeCKSEgai

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd recommend at least playing through norm on SP to save you from any major hassles and so that you can experience the game naturally.

On bnet, I just would get rushed to Hell and leech xp. Aside from pvp (which isn't all that great an experience anyway in d2), Uber Tristram and Dclone, you're not missing much. There's an SPF approved mod for Ladder Only runewords, and another (unapproved) mod that mimics the Dclone and Ubertrist experience but with limitation.

As for actual teamplay - on bnet that's really rare, especially after norm. Between botted runs, bots mfing, and you solo mfing, there's really not much to advocate bnet over SP. On bnet, trading is fairly easy, but even the SP folks trade using their system.

It's unfortunate that MP has become what it is now, but D3 will most likely take a lot of what they learned in d2's shortcomings and provide resolutions.

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

please note that sexyguy plays SP and has been abused in the past (on bnet!) :)

SeCKSEgai

Diabloii.Net Member

please note that sexyguy plays SP and has been abused in the past (on bnet!) :)
Anyone who still plays on Bnet is regularly abused =P

But I miss season 5, at least it was still fun to be on closed between ubertrist and pvp. You actually talked to people and the chaos/baal runners were live people (mostly).