Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dexterety important for Skellemancer?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Mal, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Mal

Mal IncGamers Member

Dexterety important for Skellemancer?

Hello folks,
    I'm building a skellemancer, and I'm not sure how much dex I should go with. Should I go to 75 in case I get wizardspike, max for block or leave at base? Also what do you folks think of poison nova? Is it worth the points to keep those hell monsters from regenerating? I wouldn't be able to advance my CE as far if I go with PN. Is PN effective at 1 point? 5 points? or is max PN the way to go? Also, how neccesary is it to build synergies for bone armour? I can see my stat points spreading thin...
    My setup will be:
    20 skele warrior/ mastery
    1 clay golem/s mage/ revive/
    g mast/summon resist/ pre req's
    1 bone armour
    5-10 CE
    ? PN
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Jomero

Jomero IncGamers Member

Well, my skelemancer has around 130-ish dex (after + items) if I remember right. Vitality is 200 or 205-ish.

I don't have max block with trang's wing, but it's in the 60-65% range. I will say that it's very, very nice to hear that "clunk" blocking sound whenever you see arrows, spears, or a monster who made it past your army swiing at you. I hear it fairly often when I screw up (didn't dim vision right away, etc).

My life is around 750, which is enough for taking most hits once or twice, and that's all I need to get the hell out of there. I don't know if I'd want a lower dex if I were to start over again. It's nice having that extra protection, even if I rarely need it.

Also, if you can get a hold of the Marrowwalks unique boots, it will give synergies for bone prison (as long as you don't put a point into it) so one point in bone armor shoots it's damage absorbtion to the 500's. Some claim it's a bug, some claim it's a feature (there are several charged items that work like this for other classes too). So, I don't know if you'd want to rely on a possible bug that may be fixed, but I for one, enjoy using bone armor.

Though to be honest, I rarely cast it (I always forget). And I spend most of my time in act 5 hell.

I will say dim vision is your friend. I would not settle for less than 15+ points in it (with skills). After getting to Hell I learned quickly that this cannot have a long enough duration or big enough radius. The more points the better.

3. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

I seem to be the advocate for PN. I am all about this skill for its ability to stop health regeneration. My friends always ask me for help with DClone and other big bosses, and this skill is vital. As i've mentioned time and time again...PN is not the big killer. I do not know of it's usefulness if not maxed. As I have maxed PN, and working on PE.

As for dex? If you plan on using wizardspike, go with the 75. If not, go with nothing. Blocking should not be important, because as you'll find out, you do not get hit.

If you want to go with Bone Armor, might I suggest going with maxing bone wall, using marrowalks (for bone prison synergy), and using bone spear.

g

:yep:

4. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

I don't need blocking with so many minions around to get hit. Granted, I don't play all areas of A5 since I just use mine to MF with, but I see plenty of thorn beasts and archers.

I think stat points are more universally useful in vitality where you can spare them. My bone armor absorbs 70 damage, which seems plenty. My CE is around 10 I think, which is decent enough for single/2 player if you get groups bound up.

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Bone Armor >> Max Block with all Necro's apart from a Daggermancer.

6. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

who are these skellimancers who aren't getting hit? I'm level 70, and on the average pit run which would take about 25 mins without dying, I often dye 2-3 times pushing that up to 45-60 mins per run.. not very efficient. Doesnt seem to matter if I have 10 skelles, 3 mages and 8 revives, something always gets through, and it rarely takes more than 2 hits, sometimes I don't even see anything hitting me. maybe I just suck, thats a real possibility.. lol.
    I dunno.. if you have any advice for my struggling arse, and feel like pitching me some advice, please feel free do so in whatever way you see fit.
    had it.
    Gore.
    thanks.

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

curses. nothing should be able to get past your "wall of defense" which is your "crew". my skellimancer (as detailed in my "guide") was soloing hell by clvl 54. It's all about play style. Ya can't just sit back spamming amp all the time. get creative. learn the beauty that is dim vision / decrep.

g

:yep:

8. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

I used to have a huge problem of running around like 10 yards in front of my army and dying all the time. Leading from the front line may be brave, but leading from the rear is safe!
    I managed to get my hands on an enigma and using teleports works absolute wonders in repositioning my minions to deal with oncoming attackers. Before I got it, I thought it would be primarily a skill used for convienence, but using teleport has become an integral part in managing my army and directing their attacks. I realize that suggesting you get an enigma is a crappy solution, but maxing your minions, and making it SOP to stay well behind your minions while they do their work should cut down on your deaths substantially. It's a whole different play style, and though it took me a long time to get used it, I love it now. It's all about patience!:) (As far as pit runs taking so long and efficiency, have you tried doing the pit, countess, andariel, shenk, etc in every game? It saves you the time of re-raising your army, and frankly, I think the pit is over-rated, I found nearly all of my best finds while questing or killing in some random place.)

So in short, no dex. Not one point. I'd rather have 1000 life and 600+ mana at lvl 70, and my plus to skills allows to wield my ali baba, which is the only thing I need dex for. And once I get my hands on a gull dagger, I won't need that either. :D

9. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

You don't even need Enigma to utilize this technique. I have a teleport staff on weapon switch. Against a single tough enemy, when you have 12 mages and 12 warriors, you teleport next to it and its practically dead in that teleport (all 24 minions attack the instant you teleport). Against tough groups, do what Atompliz does, and teleport to position your minions.

And for those that say mages are useless, not true at all. Mine can pack quite a punch and do just fine against PIs with the help of lower resist. Mages & Mastery @ lvl 31. After I finish gathering up my equipment, my skeleton skills will be at 40/40/40. The mages will have 500 life and be dealing: 550+ fire, 350+ lightning, 250+ cold on average, each. Thats 15 mages dealing that kind of damage. Adds up fast. You can always summon more if they go down. Teleport will bring them all up to speed with you if a few lag behind.

10. Dinnin Darkblade

Dinnin Darkblade IncGamers Member

My view is this, if your going more zookeeperish (Max Mages/Warriors/Lots of Revives) you shouldn't need bone armor or blocking, but if your going with something along the lines of a Fishymancer (see SPF for the guide, might be a link around here somewere also) then max blocking is wonderful since you only have Skeleton warriors (around 10 to 11 is average if not heavily twinked) and some Revives (5 to 8 if not heavily twinked). The major augument for the Fishymancer utilizing blocking is that it does not heavily invest in curses. Rather it reliese on quick kills to keep things sane with your warriors, a few revives, and maxed out corpse explosion. Yes a fishymancer will use dimvision, confusion, attract, and decrepify, but those are all left pretty much at 1 + skills until the main build is finished in the 70's. Thus less curse protection for more damage output. This leads you to take up blocking to help handle ranged attackers and the occasional weasel that sneaks by and wacks you before you can cast terror on it.

The major descision comes down to your play style, how often you get yourself killed, HC or SC, and your genral build. More minions means more meatwall means less need for blocking. HC charactors can use all the defensive measures they can get. And if you have a death wish and like to run into the middle of a pack and then go "Uh Oh"(spegettios :xrollseye ) then blocking is good too.

11. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Only thing you'd need alot of block for is when doing MF runs and those damn throwers with 100% peirce show up. And they almost always do when I MF in act 5. Those guys are the most annoying things in the damn game right now IMO. Hell Baal is easy compared to trying to go down the stairs that lead to Shenk when 50 of them come out of nowhere to pelt you. It's not impossible to deal with, but when I MF on ladder i have a lack of +skills from my MF equip, so the best AI altering curse I can use is terror to break up the crowd, because the others don't last long enough to be worth a damn w/o +skills in hell. So if that occasion applies to you, blocking may be useful.

12. Dausuul

Dausuul IncGamers Member

The only problem with Poison Nova to stop monster regen is its two-second duration. You have to spam it and keep spamming it or it wears off. IMO, skeleton magi are the way to go if you have monster regen problems. One slime-blast from a mid- to high-level poison mage can keep a monster green for a l-o-o-o-o-n-g time. We're talking minutes here.