Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

dexerity and the bear

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Artagas, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

dexerity and the bear

(note: this thread was lost in the rollback. if the rollback gets fixed, likely it will become a duplicate, in that case i apologize)
    the question is: do i want any points into dex with a beardruid.
    pros:
    - some awesome weapons out there with dex requirement. i have reaper's toll and arioc's needle atm (the latter is not explicitly suggested by TheDragoon guide, but i still regard it as a very nice weapon). Some of the suggestions of TheDragoon require dex just as well, and with some luck i might just find them.
    - AR. i need flat AR badly. i have lots of AR multipliers (skills, Jalal's Mane, etc.) but there is little to be multiplied. if i use arioc's needle though this wont be an issue since it is itd.

cons
    - there is plenty of good non-dexerity weapons. i wield a ribcracker atm, and I have an IK Maul as a possible alternative.
    - with the +life bonus every point into vitality is worth a lot. so less dex, more vita ==> insanest hp.

your opinions are very welcome, and much appreciated.

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

If it makes you feel better: ITD only works vs. regular monsters, so without AR you'd essentially be killing them, and at the same time have trouble killing the much more rewarding bosses :)

3. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

hmm. i tought it worked on anything except act bosses, but i might easily be wrong about that. i will go and check.
    it doesnt quite answer the question though.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

As you mention yourself, there are just as awesome weapons without high dex requirements. In my opinion a Ribcracker is a better weapon for a bear Druid than The Reaper's Toll, mostly because Reaper's has no IAS on the weapon which is really bad for druids. If you wear a Reaper's you need 40% IAS just to get to 12 frame attack which is kind of slow. If you shael it it becomes better with only 26% IAS needed to reach 10 frames. A shael'ed upgraded Ribcracker starts at 8 frames and needs 50% IAS to reach 7...

Also Arioc's Needle is spear, which is not good for druids, for some reasons druids attack very slowly with spears. The best weapons for druids are usually axes/maces/staves/polearms.

The only really good weapon with high dex requirements for a druid is Tomb Reaver...Bonehew and a good enhanced damage Stormspire could also be good, although Ribcracker beats them easily. Of course there's also Phase Blades but that is mostly for PvP.

Myrakh-2 is correct Ignores Target Defence doesn't work against bosses and champions:( The best way to get AR is with items, you don't really get much AR for points in dexterity and as you say, Bears get lots of life from points in vitality. Ravenfrost, is an excellent (must have) ring, Metalgrid amulet can also boost attack rating and defence, Angelic ring+amulet is very cheap and gives you tons of AR. Hsarus' belt+boots also gives a huge boost to AR. You can also use charms that gives +AR, but that's last resort unless they have good 2nd mod.

I'd say go with Ribcracker...the requirements are insanely low and it has insane damage, insane crushing blow, insane speed. It also gives you a very nice boost to defence and hit recovery. It is in fact everything a druid could ever dream of. Then you just have to find some AR sources or alternatively get a Blessed Aim merc, although when you have a big damage weapon like Ribcracker it would almost be a shame not to get a might merc.

5. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

hmm, you sort of convinced me about the ribcracker i suppose. i don't have a stormspire anyhow, and my ribcracker is awesome (292 ed, almost perfect)
    as for the merc...dunno. i know might would be by far the most rational choice, otoh i so like his ranger merc. i have an act2 merc on every other char of mine and bored to tears of them. might is of course good, but it is not something i cant live without. 1) the +dam he gives adds to my own +dam and not multiplies with it so it would be a 20% increase or so (decent but not a must have) 2) the archer can hurt PIs which is nice when i solo. and...she looks way way better too! with a bow that can confuse she can be actually very useful even if not as useful as an aura merc. so as long as my build is viable i think i will keep her. not all chars need to be cookie-cutters after all.
    i still need to decide what to socket into the cracker. prolly i can get max speed without a shael, so i can put an amn in it (being short of Jah runes:), or some mighty +ed% jewel. likely the latter.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. More damage is kind of hard to get, but the Rogue's ability to harm PI's is definitely cool. You could also consider having a Baranar's Star+Tiamat's Revenge on switch, which gives a decent amount of elemental damage.

2. A bow that can confuse?? Which one is that? I won't try to force you to change your mind, but a Reaper's Toll on a act 2 merc is very cool too. The Decreipify can break some immunes and on regular monsters it will increase your damage quite a lot. For a Rogue a Kuko Shakaku would be nice for good fire damage or everyones favourite the Witchwild String, for some very nice Amplify Damage. Of course Windforce/Eaglehorn wouldn't be bad either:)

About your Ribcracker I really think you should Shael it, it will be much faster that way...

Without Shael
    Frames / IAS
    11 0 %
    10 15 %
    9 52 %
    8 124 %

With Shael
    Frames / IAS
    8 0 %
    7 50 %
    6 189 %

As you can see when you Shael the Ribcracker it has a natural 8 frame attack which can be improved to 7 frames. Un-shaeled it has only 11 frames which is very slow and will a fair chunk of IAS just to get to 9 frames. I highly recommend Shael'ing it instead of an Amn/ED jewel.

7. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Uh-huh. I have a hard time expressing myself today indeed:p i didnt mean to write a bow that can confuse. i meant to write "a good bow and the ability to confuse" referring to delirium (not the cheapest of runewords...and no i dont have the ist...but ah well..i keep hoping). i am using both shaku and witchwild, though usually the latter.
    yeah, the reaper's toll might merc sounds just right and i got the gear for him...but i was so-so determined on having a non-act2-merc char:) (and my up and coming melee-ers will be happy that i have that spare reapers left for them)
    btw...can i get that cracker socketed and up it afterwards or would it make the recepy fail? i haven't risked it yet.
    as for the shael...i just checked TheDragoon's site, and once again you're probably right. though i will wait a bit nevertheless and see how much IAS i have all around. after all a 30-35 ed jewel can do wonders as well.

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

hey again,

I didnt want to create a new topic about my bear, so i thought i would post in this one.
    I am at act IV hell now with my shapshifter guy, and all is relatively going well, but i do have some doubts about the right gear still.
    charms: mostly AR gcs (got no skillers) and resist charms, along with some fhr

Jalal's/Ribcracker are certainly good enough. 8 frame attack on the ribby, i would need 50% oias to get to 7 frame, which is almost unreachable.

For the boots goblin toe's are decent and i don't have a better idea. (if you do, post it)

gloves/belt: partial sigons/ik gives some flat ar, flat def and leech/resist. dracul's grasp has definite advantages, but than i can't take advantage of possible ctcs with my rogue (amplify dam from witchy or confuse from delirium) which makes her a bit weak. (and no i dont want a might merc. and no i have no clue how to get that girl to do some real damage on hell.) with dracul's i need no leech, but could use a belt to fill resist gaps i suppose
    steelrend is an option as well, but the str req is huge.

jewelry: mahim-oak for now, metalgrid for later. raven frost (even if i wear duriel's i need the extra flat ar) + ar ring with mana leech and resists (i have no SoJ).

armor: the hard one. I wear Duriel's now, which seems to be my best unique option...but there are those nice new runewords. I have a 3 os Archon plate with 410 or so def, which could become Duress or Rain (new l33t dr00d armor). I am rather uncertain here. Duress gives nice def but i am not so concerned about it, and crushing blow, but i have plenty already. Rain has the +2 skills, but opens resist gaps (well...i have lots of hp so maybe lightning should be the only problem and that can be solved with charms...and metal grid later on)

ATM the best choice seems to be rain/draculs/nightsmoke or IK. All suggestions are more than welcome.

ps: this is a single player char, please don't suggest bnet level gear, i have no access to such (my highest runes are mals)

9. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Duress over Rain, no question at all. You CAN'T have too much Crushing Blow, trust me - the better your chance of CB, the faster you'll level monsters.

Ribcracker is sexy, but have you considered the IK Maul plus a partial IK set? I'd go for gloves, boots, belt, and heck, even armor. With 2 Shaels socketed, it easily hits the 8 fps breakpoint, and if you wear enough parts of the set the elemental damage done is ridiculous. Also handy are the resists, which start cropping up as partial set bonuses in no-time. Finally there's the leech, defense, DR (20% from the belt!), and AR . . . it's just great for a bear. :clap:

10. Humphrey

Humphrey IncGamers Member

If you need bits of the IK set (not the armour) I can give them to you. Just PM me or something. RWM though.

11. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

thanks for the offer Humphrey, but my main concern is not the missing pieces (though indeed i miss the helm and the armor) but the 225 str req on that maul.
    I think currently i have 16x (counting all +s from items). I have points unspent...but...dunno. Prolly i should have thought of this option earlier. At least i have spent a bunch of points in vitality which really pays off for a bear.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, it really does make sense.

12. Humphrey

Humphrey IncGamers Member

The belt and gloves have +str (+25 and +20). Were you counting that? You could always put at -req jewel in the maul (I'd shael it myself but if you have no other option...)

The armour needs 232 str btw.