Dex vs Vit.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Dex vs Vit.

You have all heard this question before I'm sure...I tried to look it up but I can't find it. I'm making a blizz MF sorc that will help me gain a bit of wealth. Any advice on how much end game stats should look. I have a lot of points, and I don't know how much strength, dex or vit to build. I haven't put any into energy and I believe its best I dont...but the main question is DEX or VIT?

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
dex = block = more safety vs physical attacks
vit = more life = slightly more safety vs elemental attacks (bigger life buffer before you are killed), faster kill/tele because of spirit

kuafu

Diabloii.Net Member
Each vit point only gives 2 hp to sorc, so make sure you use a CtA to fully utilize its power.
In general, both are quite viable choices, but I think vit is better for blizz sorc due to its play style. In particular, blizz sorc runs hell meph most frequently, which doesn't really require block.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I heard that you shouldnt really on items to give you extra strength because when you die you may not properly be able to "load" your character but whatever...Regardless how much base strength should I have? Is 100 enough or too much or too little?

Epsilon Eyez

Diabloii.Net Member
Enigma is what most people use to get strength points from, but not everyone is rich enough to afford one. I'd recommend you look at armors that you want to use, and base strength off of that, since the sorc's other gears aren't so heavy.

Morley

Banned
I have also made a Blizz soc recently and she is at 71. Same as the OP, I am thinking how much DEX is needed in order to block effectively even in Hell level?

I have 80 STR, 40 DEX, 100 VIT and almost 180 ENG atm.

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member
To use a spirit shield you will need 156 strength, which is the way I would go if all you are going to do is mf.

§Hex Vex§

Diabloii.Net Member
Morley, don't you think thats a little too much energy? I have a level 76 blizzard sorceress that only has 75 energy and copes pretty well. I just have to drink a mana pot every once in awhile due to teleing.

Anyways, I would seriously go with vitality rather then block. Vitality will help out a pure mf blizzard sorceress more then dexterity.

thefranklin

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it depends on what your resistances will be. If you have lower resistances, go vit. Ele attacks will wipe you out, so you will be used to tele'ing for you life and gobbling potions.

If you have high resis, you should go for max block. This way you are pretty much invincible at higher levels.

Morley

Banned
Morley, don't you think thats a little too much energy? ...

Anyways, I would seriously go with vitality rather then block. Vitality will help out a pure mf blizzard sorceress more then dexterity.
Thanks for your comment :)

I know the stats I have right now may seems to be overstressed on the Energy, but I will just go easy with it because I don't have uber gears to boost my MP/skills and this is just my 1st character re-created after leaving D2X for almost 2 years.

I just find it interesting after reading how 'blocking' can increase the chance of living and even allow soc to actually stand still tanking the mobs while casting. Just want to see how much I have to invest in the stats in order to achieve it. :p

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
If that energy is not for ES, going block will definitely kill you. You need all the life you can get now so that you won't get 1 hit KOed.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you guys keep base mana? Because right now I have, and I'm doing alright because I keep using pots and I have two manald rings..but in the future I wont have those rings and will be teleing more. What do you think?

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member
Usually if I have plenty of gear that adds mana (shako, soj, etc.) then I'll just leave mana at base. For teleporting just put an Insight polearm on your merc for mana recovery. If after that you feel that you need more mana then you can put some points into energy but I wouldn't go higher than 50 - 60 points.

etits

Diabloii.Net Member
first off, You might wanna lay off maxing blizzard synergies and put a little bit in telekinesis and energy shield.

Just do a weapon switch for memory, precast energy shield , get lots of energy and start mfing.

You're not going for pvping anyway are you? :)

Get combat merc in normal for prayer aura and you should be set.

>.< My advice hinges on the fact that you need lightning gc's for this setup to work if u dont plan to waste skill points to get max es and telekinens :(

kuafu

Diabloii.Net Member
If you think you can get a good CtA, definitely go with base energy. With good items for enough +skill (for both BO, Warmth and Teleport), you will have a big mana pool after BO. The mana regen rate is proportional to the size of your mana pool, and the cost of teleport goes down with +skills, so you'll be able to teleport long enough without either mana pots or Insight merc.
My meteorb sorc has base energy, but around 1100 mana after BO, and I don't find any problem teleporting around, even right after being hit by a Mana Burn monster.

Harsh Tradewind

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi.

How about a hybrid? How about prioritizing both vit and dex like just aiming for a 50% block rate rather than 75% so that we could gain more vitality?

Your opinions are really appreciated. Thanks!