Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Details on sheildblocks

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Kinnison, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Kinnison

Kinnison IncGamers Member

Details on sheildblocks

I know a lot of people are concerned about shield block % and I was wondering how it actually works.

for the % that means the chance to block a successful "hit" or all attacks directed at you? and that you don't take any damage

While you are in the Shield block animation, I assume you are not able to block any more attacks.. correct?

Thanks

2. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Re: Details on sheildblocks

Chance to Block

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

Blocking = A total of the Blocking on all of your items. (E.g: Guardian Angel, Twitchthroe, Any Shield, Holy Shield)
    [] = Round Down

Note: Blocking on shield shown in game is capped at 75% while it may actually be higher. For a true account of most shields blocking ability... Look here forUnique, Set, and Magical/Rare shields. (for magical/rare, add the Blocking % from the suffix to the base blocking)

Note 2: Block chance is divided by 3 after the 75% cap. You can't block more than 25% when running.

Example: A lvl85 Paladin with 100 Dex, Guardian Angel(20%), lvl20 Holy Shield (35%) and a Herald of Zakarum(82%).

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
    = (20 + 35 + 82 * (100 - 15)) / (85 * 2)
    = (20 + 35 + 82 * (85)) / (85 * 2)
    = (20 + 35 + 82 * (85)) / 170
    = (20 + 35 + 82 * (85)) / 170
    = (137 * 85) / 170
    = 11645 / 170
    = 68.5
    = 68% Chance to Block

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551#Chance to Block

3. Kinnison

Kinnison IncGamers Member

dude.. i know all about the calculations for Shield block %

but what does it do and how does it work in game? from what you are saying all it does is give me a change to see a special SB animation, and a "Chink" sound and does nothing else

4. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

In game, when a ranged or melee attack is blocked, it nullifies the damage for that hit.
    So, if you have 75% chance to block against melee, then they are effectively only dealing 1/4 of their potential damage on average. If you look at it that way, then if you let your block% drop to 50% then you are doubling your enemies damage potential. That's why it matters.
    That's where the block rate comes in.

5. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Note:

1. Shield blocking does not block elemental attacks: spells and traps etc. However, it can still block physical attacks that have elemental damage "attached" to them. Think Horror Archers in Acts 2 and 5 Hell - their arrows are always (or almost always, I forget) enchanted with extra Fire Damage. If they hit you, you will get hit for physical and elemental damage. However, they can be completely blocked by shield, and in that case, elemental damage won't apply either.

2. Weapon Block is a skill that is available to Assassins. It works only when you wield 2 claws. It does not work when moving (0%), and is capped at 60% at any time (normal shield block is capped at 75%). However, Weapon Block can block purely elemental attacks (like bolts from Scarabs and Lightning Enhanced bosses), so, in a sense, WB is superior to usual Block.

3. Amazon skills Dodge/Avoid/Evade (commonly abbreviated as D/A/E) can also "block" (dodge, actually) elemental attacks, as well as usual physical ones. After around 50-60%, severe diminishing returns kick in, and it's very hard to get another % of dodge chance.