Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Desperation time

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, Mar 24, 2005.

1. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

Desperation time

Yes, I know I'm insane. I thought that I'd get this out of the way early. :D Today I officially passed my 1500th 1.09 Coldcrow and/or Countess and/or Blood Raven run to find the last 1.09 TC3, the Torch of Iro. Other than a few hundred chippies, umteen green and gold gloves, belts, and bucklers, and more Els, Elds, and Tirs than you can shake a stick at, I've found bugger all. So I've decided to try a new tack. I was thinking of running a few areas on players64 and hope one will drop, but what areas are best for dropping a TC3 Qlvl7 like Iro? Or would it be better just to keep running these guys?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

It would be better if you underwent a serious psychic evaluation:) Think of all the Tyrael's Might you could have found if you had spent all that time running Baal instead:) I'm not sure about the best place to find TC 3 but how about Andariel with her quest drop + the fact that she drops more items than the ones you've mentioned. Good luck!!

3. Gouda

Gouda Diabloii.Net Member

You are entering my area of stolen expertise:

Thrugg had a lot to say about this a couple of monts ago, and i saved this gem in a word document, hoping to make a nice formatted guide out of it one day (with builds and whatever). Since i play hardcore and don't have an uber item base my plan was to gather up some TC3 items for trading, but i got involved in tournament again, so the guide is shelved again.

Originally Posted by Thrugg The thing that makes TC3s hard to find is the way the TC heirarchy is organised.
    If you have read a little bit about TCs, you may know that generally speaking the game tries to drop from the highest TC the monster can, then if it fails it drops down to the next one, and so on. It is a little bit more complicated than that though.

In fact it is more accurate to say the game tries to drop from the 4 highest TCs a monster can drop from, then if that fails it tries to drop from not the next 4 highest, but the 2nd-5th highest, then if that fails, from the 3rd-6th highest, etc, a kind of descending window.

Because of this you only get 1 shot at the highest TC, 2 shots at the 2nd, 3 at the 3rd, then 4 attempts at all the lower ones. This is why monsters generally aren't expected to drop from their highest TC very often.

Now, the same problem happens at the lower end. If you drop down all the way, you eventually get a chance at dropping from the TC12-TC21 range, then from the TC9-TC18 range, then from the TC6-TC15, and finally from the TC3-TC12 range. But after that there is no more dropping down. So you get 4 chances at TC12, but only 3 at TC9, 2 at TC6 and 1 chance at TC3. As a result, monsters that can drop high TC items are really very unlikely to drop TC3s - usually about as unlikely as they are to drop from their highest TC.

This problem doesn't apply to low-level monsters though. For those who can't drop as high as TC9 or TC12, there are special TCs that only drop TC3, and TC3 or 6. Monsters that drop from those TCs are by far your best source.

These monsters typically have another problem though - low mlvl. Remember, to drop a set or unique item, you need to drop the right TC and have mlvl >= qlvl for that item. And many TC3 items have annoyingly high qlvls.

From Hakai's excellent 1.10 TC list:

Pelta Lunata (qlvl 3)
    Rixot's Keen (qlvl 3)
    Arctic Furs (qlvl 3)
    War Bonnet (qlvl 4)
    Felloak (qlvl 4)
    Hsarus' Iron Fist (qlvl 4)
    Gull (qlvl 6)
    Hotspur (qlvl 7)
    The Gnasher (qlvl 7)
    The Hand of Broc (qlvl 7)
    Knell Striker (qlvl 7)
    Bane Ash (qlvl 7)
    Torch of Iro (qlvl 7)
    Infernal Cranium (qlvl 7)
    Death's Guard (qlvl 8)
    Death's Hand (qlvl 8)
    Lenymo (qlvl 10)
    Greyform (qlvl 10)
    Pluckeye (qlvl 10)
    [U] Blinkbats Form (qlvl 16)
    [S] Vidala's Ambush (qlvl 19)
    [S] Sander's Paragon (qlvl 20)
    [S] Tancred's Hobnails (qlvl 27)

So to find a given TC3, you need to kill a monster with high enough mlvl but as low a max TC as possible. The prime candidates are Act 1 normal Superuniques, as they drop 2 items and have a good bonus to item quality. This is a list of them, with their max TC first, and their mlvl:

Corpsefire 3 4
    Bishibosh 3 5
    Coldcrow 3 7
    Blood Raven 6 10
    Bonebreaker 3 5
    Rakanishu 6 8
    Treehead Woodfist 6 8
    Griswold 12(6) 8
    The Countess 12 11
    The Smith 12(6) 13
    Pitspawn Fouldog 6 14
    Bone Ash 12 17
    Andariel 15 12
    The Cow King 12(6) 31

The 4 that can only drop TC3s are great - except they can only drop the first 6 items (up to the qlvl 4s) apart from Coldcrow. She is possibly worth running for up to the qlvl 7s, if you can find a good map for her. She is often deep in the cave though.

Among the natural TC6 droppers, Blood Raven is not bad - easy to find, plus she can actually drop up to 5 items, although she doesn't have the fixed 2 item drop that other Superuniques have, she drops more like an act boss (ie randomly). If you are going to run her, higher players setting is worth it. Pitspawn Fouldog is the other good choice - he can drop up to the qlvl 10s too, and always drops 2 items. If you can get a good map for him he is worth a run.

To get the 4 highest qlvl items though, you need to go to a higher TC creature and just hope to be lucky. Bone Ash is an OK choice, he can drop all TC3 uniques and is very very easy to get to - always in the same place, a short run from the Inner Cloister WP into the Cathedral. But because he can drop TC12 he is already pretty stingy with the TC3s.

Andariel is hopeless - high TC and low mlvl is the opposite of what we want.

Last of all though I draw attention to the 3 guys with 12(6) as their TC. By this I mean they get a drop from up to TC12, but they also get a second drop which is only up to TC6. From this second drop you have a pretty good chance at TC3s also. The Smith is much better than Griswold, but best by far is the Cow King. His mlvl is high enough to drop all TC3s but he still has that nice low TC6 drop. If you can organise a way to run him (MP, or self-MP with a cow opener who just sits in camp) then he is easily the best source.

There is one small issue with those second drops though - they are only ever melee items. Which basically means no Pluckeye Still, not a huge disadvantage by comparison.

Anyway, I hope this is of some help to potential TC3 hunters.[/S][/S][/S][/U]
    [S][S][S]

If i understand all of this correctly the torch of iro is best gotten from coldcrow, with maybe some sidesteps to Rakanishu,Treehead Woodfist or
    Griswold. Since rakanishu and griswold are easily combined they may offer a good combo.
    Anyway, don't run Andariel, as you can see her chanches of dropping a TC3 are rather low.

Gouda

edit: as isengart said: there are other boss packs and cham,poins hanging about in tristram together with griswold and rakanishu just before it. Sounds like a plan to me.[/s][/s][/s]

4. isengart

isengart Diabloii.Net Member

I am telling out of thinking not out of knowledge now:

I'd run Tristram for TC3 as the density of superuniques/uniques/champions is higher than in any other area in act 1.
    Andariel would be another option because of that drop bug.
    I admire your patience, I could never do something like that!

EDIT: you find the knowledge to my thinking in the posting above mine *hehehe*

5. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

Thanx guys for the advice, I'll give it a try tonight. The big problem I have with the Torch of Iro is that I know that I've found at least one in my pre ATMA days and it was sold. This has been like a stone in my shoe for the last year or so as my grailing has started to bear fruit. I now have two or more of most, if not all, the other TC3's and it sticks out like a sore thumb and it really annoys me. :mad: