Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Describe your feelings about hardcore

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Silver Moon, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Silver Moon

Silver Moon Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys,

I have noticed that a lot of players play HC mode on this forum. What is it about HC that you love? Does it make your more focused knowing that you only have one life? I am a softcore player, but I am considering playing HC in the future when I am a bit better at the game and don't die so often haha.

So tell me if and why you prefer HC and how you feel about it. Is it a crazy accomplishment to beat hell with a HC character? Are full rejuvenation potions your best friend? Thanks for posting!

PandadudeSP likes this.
  2. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

All of my HC playing is done in tournaments, which are inherently based on being more challenging than the "regular" game. That's all part of the fun for me in HC, one life, one chance at it. The thing I like the most about HC is it (at least for me) changes the entire dynamic of the game. You notice things you never noticed before, you pay more attention to monster mods and tactical strategies. Yes in SC you pay attention to these, but it really matters in HC (tournaments especially) as if you mis-step, it could be all over.

The sense of accomplishment (again, for me) is higher as well. Getting a Conqueror (even Destroyer, depending on the char!) feels good. I've never been jazzed about reaching Slayer or Champion status in SC. I've only Guardianed one character (a Passive Zon in a tournament here), and it is probably the thing I'm most proud of in my D2 career (so far, anyways).

For me, HC is about the journey whereas SC is about some end-goal (running a target, using a RW, reaching a certain level, something like that). Of course Guardian is the goal in tournament play, but it's the journey that makes it interesting. I have a feeling this is a sentiment that is shared among lots of people here, hence why tournament progress threads are some of the most active/viewed threads on this forum.

And yes, Full Juves are your absolute best friend, bar none. :p

RadTang likes this.
  3. RadTang

RadTang Diabloii.Net Member

I personally never even Guardianed a char (though one was very, very close - damn you Blizzard for making Hell Ancients so OP !) and I don't think I'm a good at Diablo 2. It would be even more thrilling and rewarding if my first Hell finished char done it in HC mode. My tournament (A S/U Worshipper) javazon (both lightning and melee) is also HC. Both necro from Project:Hardcore and that amazon are untwinked. :)

Anyway, real game begins maybe in Nightmare or even at Hell... normal is plainly boring. I was yawning from boredom at p8 with my zon so I only use p1. Nearly lost her to Pitspawn Fouldog with this group...

coju likes this.
  4. Tarantella

Tarantella Diabloii.Net Member

HC, single pass, no tweak is a fine way to make Guardian for any character with or without any other tournament/self imposed constraints.

Though you might not feel the same ever again about playing SC.

ThomasJohnsen and RadTang like this.
  5. RadTang

Or basically like any of the tournament's standard rules, not the tourney-specific ones, I think :)

6. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

HC is love, HC is life.

Joking aside, it's not much different from SC, apart from the fact you shouldn't die, which quite frankly isn't that hard. You just have to plan your equipment a bit more defensively than usual. Or if you don't a have a massively reckless playstyle like mine you don't even need to do that.

My two cents on gameplay stuff: FullJuvs are an absolute must, Block helps immensely, so does CtA. That's about all you need to know.

7. zticazzy

zticazzy Diabloii.Net Member

Guardian'd a sorcy once, an orbhydra build, untwinked, and no S&E. Jamila_III was my first and only character to successfully finish HC hell, after the demise of Jamila_I due to a lightning enchanted extra strong NM Smith and Jamila_II due to a pack of normal act 3 shamans. Last two hell acts were a pain, since all the enemies had high fire resistances, but for the rest, hydra is a great skill for scouting and frozen orb is the classic 1-point-wonder skill for sorcs.

Regarding the HC experience, I didn't like it very much, I just did it once as a personal accomplishment and that's it. It simply doesn't fit my playstile. I noticed that even with HC chars my mindset was to rush it and be reckless (that's why I like the massive life pool of barbs I suppose), so after this guardian I went back to SC with no regrets whatsoever. My point is: HC is not for everyone, it really depends on your attitude if you like it or not, so go ahead and test it yourself. Just remember to stack resistances and stay safe around dolls, they don't like to be petted.

8. espino_k

espino_k Diabloii.Net Member

It makes the game a bit more strategic. You have to plan out how you are going to turn a corner or enter a door, or when to make a tactical retreat. It's not something i'd recommend doing on Bnet due to lag and fps spikes.

9. ShaneO

ShaneO Diabloii.Net Member

I love HC - its that challenge knowing its one life all the way (like an adrenaline rush)
    But I still think Bliz should introduce a mix league where HC players can also play with SC chars (would be fun I think ...)

10. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP Diabloii.Net Member

HC only makes sense when you already know the game in and out imo, as you need to know what can kill you. Anyone can beat the game on SC with shit gear and little knowledge with enough patience, so the focus of the game becomes item farming. This is rather than item farming and twinking being a method to help you beat the game with a certain character. You also tend to have less items since you lose gear occasionally and since you have to make tradeoffs between efficiency and safety, making the game less trivial. However, HC isn't suitable if you want to unwind and watch tv on your 2nd monitor or something since it requires focus. It can also be frustrating when you die to something "unfair" (nm fire enchanted etc.).

Tournaments add an interesting dimension and challenge, but doing full clears on p8 with full mf gear and cracking urns etc. is tedious to me.

11. Silver Moon

Silver Moon Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for all the comments. I liked what Pb_pal said about sense of accomplishment. To play through the entire game on all difficulties and not die is pretty awesome IMO. I would love to try a HC tournament one day.

Side question: Do you feel guilty if you save and exit to avoid a death on HC mode? Do some of you long time players not even bother and just die with "Diablo" honour? Or perhaps you never get yourself into situations that would require you to save and exit? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  12. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I played HC for a while, even got a guardian, but I found the playing style the is required for HC bought the worst in me. I deleted everything and went back to SC.

13. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

I played some HC during my Bnet years. That was a wild game if you went to public to public games. Especially Hell Baal runs had almost certainly someone who tried to tppk (townportal player killer) people. But nowadays I have kind of warm memories of those times. I haven't heard the sound of hostile in years, but I bet it would still get me a little afraid for a half a second. :p

I play my SPF adventures SC, because I want to take it really easy and to be able to play really recklessly if I want. Trying out some weird builds is also easier in SC. Would like to try out some of the tournaments around here some day, and would definitely go HC then.

Also, welcome to the forums Silver Moon! Enjoy your stay, and hopefully we'll hear about your D2 adventures every now and then! :)

14. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

That "your deeds of valor will be remembered" when it was something really avoidable is a horrible feeling. I've had it a few times and remember each one very clearly. Normal Nilly .. Hell Fangskin, a bunch of things in act 1 NM I tried to tele past ..

My best alive one stalled in Hell Act 1 (barb). I'd love to get a guardian before I finish. Then probably the other 6 .. In Torchlight I finished on Hard Hardcore and the final boss was really challenging. It was a great sense of accomplishment when I finished.

HC is also great for someone wanting a slightly different feel on the same thing they love. You see people finish or close to a SC grail and things a slow, so they go to HC where there are lots of easy rewards again.

15. coju

coju Diabloii.Net Member

Silver moon cat, just for it. I've deeded more chars than pharphis and pyrotechnician combined, I just don't talk about it. HE actually keeps me AWAY from playing d2 again, as, to me, SC holds no thrill, scaredism, what if, problem. .. cannot think of the word I want to use. Anyways. ..
    consequence, maybe?
    The only way you will firmly learn, imo, is by going for it. S&e And AHHJH no no no no ing, altf4ing, nopeing. To me, there is none of that in sc. I die 100 times before I get to meph in sc because I don't care if I die.
    HC I care if I die. This death is a learning mistake and that 15th sorc will be sure and have that extra 3 fcr.
    HC is where it's at, man.
    HC keeps me away because I don't want to deeds my already built heros, and don't want to make 400th one.

16. espino_k

espino_k Diabloii.Net Member

As far as save scumming to stay alive goes, this really shouldn't happen if you are playing HC, which requires cautious gameplay. You cant rush into multiple packs of monsters like rambo, you have to clear the maps steadily without aggro'ing more monsters then you can handle. On hell, most untwinked caster builds will get killed in a handful of hits, so you really wont have time to save/exit even if you tried.

You will have big trouble with archers or monsters that inflict curses on NM/Hell, but timely retreats will save you.

17. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

I think there are different types of HC players. Sure there are those who are experienced/careful, but when you are new to HC, for some pressing Escape might be a natural thing to want to do.

As you mention, I don't think most people would play exactly like they did in HC. If they did, that is just reckless, but while you are building up both your skill level and confidence, don't knock those who haven't quite got it worked out yet. Some will work out its not for them and return to HC, the rest will get more attuned and get to your level of awesomeness.

18. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

This. Well, I'm doing the end-goal thingy as well right now, but the journey is the real thrill. Doing the end-game content is still fun, but far less efficient.

Agreed. It's actually one of the mechanics I liked in D3 though, that the potion had a cooldown, and you had to take that into account. With full rejvuvs still around, I wouldn't have deeded once in D3 I think.

I don't agree, but to each their own of course. Nightmare quite often is the easy part, as your main skills are getting maxed in that stage, and monsters don't hit hard enough to be dangerous. Depending on your build, your character might still be weak in normal, making it harder than nm. The Javazon was throwing poison sticks, right? Being ranged and with a good attack available rather quickly, that's easy indeed. Try for example an untwinked melee Assassin on /p8 for example and report back in again. If you still find that easy, respect to you, but I know that I almost got my Assassin from the S/U tournament killed early on, and that wasn't even on /p8.

Again, I don't agree. A lot depends on the build obviously, and quite some classes have awesome skills at their disposal to stay alive (Teleport, Curses, Decoy, Shockwave, ... ), but not dying at all isn't that easy. 95% of content is, but it's the other 5% that matters. When Amp from a cursed boss pack kicks in for example, things go from good to bad in no time. I know I've had my share of close calls with my Sorc in the Zodthon Tournament, and she is only running AT, which is one of the easiest areas in the game.

19. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Teleporting a 700 life sorceress with little to no block and crap gear at level 62 past 4 Acts in Hell - that's when it's hard to stay alive. And one of the best thrills I've had from the game. Playing through the game at a slow/meduim pace is a piece of cake, a walk in the park. You just need some game knowledge and a bit of focus.

It's especially easy to stay alive when you're running only one area, because you get so used to the monster behavior and spawn points you shouldn't even get hit, let alone die.

20. RadTang

You're right. Barbs have easy normal but sorceress have one of the hardest normal playthroughs (had to melee a lot with staff in A1 !). Necromancer focused at summoning only suffers in A1 due to lack of minions. /P8 is a nightmare for me. Tried it with my amazon - the game was horribly slow. Also, made a necro for /p8 test. The mobs were able to kill my skeleton xD

After all, it depends from class & build - meleers have it easier in the beginning, I think.