Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Derogotory slang (somewhat of a rant)...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LunarSolaris, May 13, 2008.

1. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Derogotory slang (somewhat of a rant)...

So every once in awhile I find myself irked at the use of derogotory slang... for those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about, I'm primariliy referring to the use of words that have a historical meaning that was once derogotory in nature or insulting to a group of people, but now are commonly used as a figure of speech or slang.

Of course there are the obvious suspects such as the "N" word... but there are a plethora of other's as well. Of course the "N" word brings about debate, but there is a larger understanding among many people that this word also carries with it a huge historical context that is both negative and slimy. However, there are many other words that people tend to use daily that I believe most consider more innocent and benign.

Perhaps on top of my list is the word "retard" or "retarded". When it's typcially used nowadays, the word is often a subtitute for trying to explain that something is "dumb" or "ridiculous". However, given the origin of the word, I despise it's use. As a person whom has worked with people that are developmentally delayed, I find myself frustrated at the thought of continued slaps at this group of people by the use of the word.

Then there's the various uses of the word "***" (i.e. "homo", "***", etc.). Again, the uses are varied, but the word "***" is often used to express something that is likened to being "dumb". Again, while a large many people have a tendency to justify the use of these words as innocent, I don't see it as that way. Despite justifications, there is a strong history of violence toward the homosexual population, and the continued use of words that bear that negative connotation only perpetuates undermining negative thoughts. (and yes, I do understand the historical use of the word "***" - meaning stick... or cigarrette in British culture).

Of course there are also a plethora of ethnic phrases that are sometimes used in figures of speech that some find ok to use - but many don't. For example, the phrase "to *** someone down" is sometimes used as a term to express haggling over price. And then there are the more obvious ethnic identifiers such as "wetback" (for describing Mexicans peoples), the ever so popular "gook" as made famous in Vietnam for describing many Vietnamese (and other people of asian decent), and others. Some are obvious of course - and most understand that it's inappropriate to use them... but other's are passed off as more innocent. They aren't.

I suppose the point I'm getting to (before this turns into a novel), is that I really wish people would pay more attention to the words they use and the context of those words. It's very easy for people to get defensive when it's pointed out to them the words they are using, but another thing to actually sit down and think about the words that are being used, and the larger meaning they carry.

So the next time you want to say something is stupid... call it stupid. But call it "retarded" and think about the group of people you're insulting when you do so...

[/rant]

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Re: Derogotory slang (somewhat of a rant)...

Is it ok to say I got "gypped"?

3. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

AJ I'm not familiar with the etiology of the word "gypped". I know the slang that it applies to, and I suppose I could make some guesses, but largely I don't know. :scratch:

*heads off to Google to educate self*

4. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

Won't that offend all the stupid people, though? I guess they probably won't know the difference seeing as they're stupid and all.

5. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

bort comes up with the best slurs ever.

6. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

Lunar, I tend to agree with evertything you said.

My teenage kids often use many of the slurs you just said, and I chastise them every time I hear them. I try to tell them to not use that word, just as if it were a swear word. Maybe someday they will listen, be as do a lot of kids they ignore us parents.

7. disgruntled

disgruntled IncGamers Member

How about not using the word retard to describe people that are developmentally disabled/differently abled...

The only way words change in meaning is to use them differently. People might eventually forget the historical meaning.

8. superdave

freet would have a conniption anytime someone would use the "R" word.

9. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I think it's great that the censor is ok with "gook" and "***", but *** (Hebrew person) and *** ("homosexual person") are censored.

10. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Yeah. I wish he was here to talk me down. Just doesn't feel the same without him.

Now I got to do it myself. :sad2:

11. Chow Yun Thin

Chow Yun Thin IncGamers Member

What about lame?

12. disgruntled

disgruntled IncGamers Member

He's just a hillbilly hoosier redneck.

13. superdave

silly little ice monkey.

14. WildBerry

"Ice monkey" sounds like a Chinese horoscope. I like the ring to it. That was pretty good, now put some feeling into it!

15. superdave

you damn russian swedes are never satisfied...i thought ice monkey rocked.

16. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Retard is French for "slow" - hence developmentally delayed when referring to people - so many of it's uses are perfectly acceptable.

The words *** and queer also have specific meanings that have been changed by interest groups and the media. "***" refers to a mood or a person and means to be happy and carefree, which is why the homosexual rights movement adopted it in the first place. "Queer" means something that is not quite right or unusual ("I have a queer feeling in my stomach", "the man was acting queer before he robbed the store"). Whenever the words are used now their meanings have been switched, so that if someone is "queer" they are homosexual in the sense of happy and carefree, while something that is "***" is actually "queer".

****** is the phoenetic spelling of an English corruption of the Spanish word "negro", meaning the colour black. It is the same as the word "critter" being a corruption of "creature". Historical usage aside (and contemporary usage taken into account), if the word "Negro" is acceptable then so is "******", depending on context.

17. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I try to come up with creative and unexpected adjectives, rather than the old standards. It's fun confusing people who are mad at you.

Some words like "lame", I think people really need to let go of though. Lame means stupid now. People who can't walk very well because of leg problems are not a large target for ridicule anymore. Tiger Woods got in trouble for either lame or some other innocuous word that has safely moved past its original meaning.

Ultimately, I think all of these derogatory words' meanings will be largely lost to the majority of the population, and they will be as accepted as "idiot" is now. Fresh new derogatory words will emerge.

18. WildBerry

We have a gem. We don't need no stinkin' Bortaz anymore. :heart:

You want to know why that was a hit? We Finns are real easy to rub wrong way - we expect fully, and insist on such a view, that no-one knows where our country lies or anything else associated with it, and when a person after a long pestering acknowledges not to know anything of our country, we act insulted. Mock-confusing nationality and at the same time pinning down that hard-to-satisfy nature = double home run.

Anyone want quality insults? Come get them at Honest Dave's!

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

They aren't the same. Cirtter and creature mean the same thing. "Negro" and the n-word do not mean the same thing.

Are you seriously arguing that it is ok to use the n-word?

20. th5418

th5418 Banned

Of course it is okay to use the n-word. Black people all around my campus use it 24/7. It's amusing. Really amusing...