Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dependence?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steel_Avatar, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Dependence?

My ADSL was down for most of the day. First a service outage, and then the phone line itself went a bit wonky. When I got it working, there was a definite feeling of relief. It was like air to a drowning man. Granted, I use the 'net a lot for schoolwork, but it got me wondering if we've grown too dependent on the web.

2. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I went home for the Easter weekend and was completely disgusted that my family still used dial-up. I got so frustrated with waiting for pages to load that I turned the computer and rocked myself saying "just two more days just two more days!" As soon as Anakha and I get up in the morning we go to the computer, he uses it all day at work, I use mine at work. Then when we get home from work we are on it. If we go out anywhere the minute we are in the house we are both on our respective computers. It's our quiet time together.

3. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

I'd miss talking to my freinds, talking on the phone is too restricting, i like to be able to walk up and do something then come back and the other person not knowing it.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I know I'm dependent on it. I need it for e-mail and for all sorts of other stuff. When I was gone over spring break and found myself net-less, I felt very...disconnected. Like I was missing something almost.

5. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Oh I'm completely dependent upon it. It's not even close. The only times that I'm fine with being apart from the intraweb is when I've got plenty of other stuff to do. And even then, I usually want to be doing something with the web.

As an example, if I had to choose between a phone line or a line for internet at my apartment, I'd choose internet easily. Even if it was dial-up.

6. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

if i dont get on the internet in more than a week i have, nervous breakdowns, followed by a series of strokes and crying, and at the end i fall to sleep just to repeat what happend again

7. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Denial is not just a river in Missouri

I'm not addicted to the internet!

*goes off to snort a T1 cable line*

Ahh, that's the stuff. Come on, load up! Don't hold out on me like this! Error 404? No, man, no!!! Come on, you KNOW I'm good for it! You can't DO this to me! I'll get the money, I swear! Come on, just a little taste...

8. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Every time I move to a new city, I feel lost until I get internet access. Email, information, entertainment. The web has everything. When its gone, I... I....

*snorts some concentrated OTF*

I feel better now.

Garbad

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Dependence doesn't even begin to describe it. I need it for my gaming, for my communication, to get places. Christ, I've been fighting the temptation to get a web-enabled cell phone because I know I'll just wind up surfing during my commute to and from work.

Vacations away from the internet are either stressful or relaxing. I'm either away so long that I'm stressed, or get a brief break and know that when I come back I'll only have 2 pages or so of the OTF to catch up on.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

The net isn't an absolute nessesity. It does speed up the research process. Aerial photos, new products, information, etc.

I pity those of you who "need" the net. How do you go camping?

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Ah, but you see, when you are dependent on the net, it makes camping that much better. It's just another thing you get to escape from for a little while. Helps you enjoy it even more.

edit: I suppose I should clarify. I need the net to do most everything I do, but if I've got a vacation planned, I'm planning on being away, so I've prepared myself to not have access to the internet. I'm not addicted to it, I just need it.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Camping's not something I do often enough to really justify buying the necessary equipment. Tents and sleeping bags are expensive.

However, I do go fishing up in the Andes about once a year, several hours from the nearest city, without access even to a phone line up there. That's relaxing. It's actually nice to be away from reality for a few days, though sometimes shocking to return. This year I came back to learn that 100,000+ had died in a tsunami in Asia the likes of which I had only dreamed of.