Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Demon Makeover!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by neoplatonic, Mar 27, 2004.

1. neoplatonic

neoplatonic IncGamers Member

Demon Makeover!

A small demon sat behind his desk and scribbled over a sheet of white parchment. The paper screeched with each stroke of his pen, and the blood-red ink left a tiny line of fire before slowly soaking through the page.

Around the table walked a much larger creature, surrounded by a swirling white mist entwined with black streaks of dust and dirt. Necklaces of gold weighed down the demon’s neck, and each finger was wrapped with multiple jeweled rings. Its head was white and gaunt—almost skeletal—and a mane of floating silver dreadlocks drifted in the air.

This was the Lord of Hatred.

“Dear brother,†the great demon dictated, while the small demon behind the desk wrote, “please accept the return of your latest spy. I have kept his skin, so that I may inscribe upon it further curses on your already-shriveled gonads. His heart, I shall mount over my bed and let fester for sixty-six days, and then I shall feed it to my most hideous pit hounds, so that their insane hunger for your flesh will grow all the stronger.â€

The Lord of Hatred paused while the scribe caught up with his words.

He concluded, “I look forward to our next conference. Surely, my assassins will not fail to remove your head this time. Love, your brother.â€

The scribe finished the letter. The Lord of Hatred wandered over while the small demon dripped black wax onto the parchment. The Lord pressed one of his rings into the drop and formed his arcane seal.

“Have that delivered, slave.â€

“Yes, lord,†the little demon said. It hopped off the chair and shuffled out of the room as quickly as it could.

As soon as it left the there was another knock at the door. The Lord of Hatred snorted, “Who dares disturb me?â€

The Fist appeared in the doorway. He was one of the Lord’s greater servants, a commander of many legions of demons. He wrung his hands together and bobbed his head from side to side.

“What do you want?†the Lord shouted.

“I have to tell you something, master.â€

The Lord of Hatred scowled.

The Fist fidgeted. “A few of us Council members were concerned about your…ah…image.â€

“What are you babbling about?†The Lord rose up to his full height. The air crackled around his head. “My image?â€

“We’ve brought in some consultants. They’re here right now.â€

“Consultants? What?â€

Then, suddenly, a knot of men swarmed through the door behind the Fist. Dressed gaily, hair poofed up into vast bouffants, they chittered and chattered and immediately ran up to the Lord of Hatred and surrounded him with pawing hands and fingers. A crew of cameramen took up positions around the room.

“His hair!†one of the men screeched.

“Those clothes!†another sniffed.

“Look at this room!â€

“What is this?†the Lord of Hatred bellowed. “How dare you touch my divine person?†He lifted up his hands to form a spell that would wipe away the human vermin, but the Fist leaped up and grabbed the Lord’s hands.

“Please, master, this is costing a lot of money.â€

“Money? What concern do I have for money?â€

The consultants had spread throughout the entire room. They were overturning furniture and wandering through the other doors into the innermost sanctum of the Lord of Hatred. The cameramen followed them and poked their lenses into every corner.

“Just listen to them,†the Fist pleaded. “Only for an hour. If you don’t like them, then you can suck out their souls and consume their bones.â€

The Lord narrowed his eyes.

The Fist quickly added, “My master, have you not always advised your Council to present you with all options and ideas, no matter how farfetched, as long as they assist in your rise to dominion over your brothers?â€

“Yes, I have said that, but…this?†The Lord waved his hands over the room. “These are humans!â€

“The décor is so medieval,†one of them said in a pleasant, gravelly voice.

“Reminds me of a sex hotel I went to in Tokyo,†the blonde-haired man said.

“How did they get past the succubi?†the Lord of Hatred asked.

The Fist shrugged.

“They’re in my bed chamber!†the Lord shouted. He left the Fist behind and stormed through the next door into his sleeping quarters. Sheets had been tossed all over the floor, and one of the men was tearing down the tapestry that celebrated the Lord’s victory over the Hordes of Hemmeran.

A man threw pillows to the floor. He raised one eyebrow. “Where’s your bathroom?â€

“Bathroom?â€

The man, in a tight blue shirt and black leather pants, darted over to the Lord. “Your skin is so dry and flaky. We need to get you some good moisturizer. What other products do you use?â€

“Products?!â€

The Fist appeared next to his Lord. “Just for one hour, master. Please?â€

#

“No, really,†the man asked. “What products do you use on your skin and hair?â€

“I bathe in the blood and organs of my foes!â€

“Yeah, that’s the problem.â€

“What problem?â€

“Well, you see, your pores are all clogged. And your hair, look at it. Matted and nasty. Don’t get me wrong. I love the dreadlocks, but they don’t have to be so disgusting.†The man snapped his fingers. “No more blood baths.â€

The Lord of Hatred narrowed his eyes into tiny pricks of black light. “How else am I supposed to feed upon the power of my enemies?â€

“And these nails! When was the last time you had a manicure?â€

#

The blonde-haired man was very thin and energetic. With waving hands he dragged the Lord into one of his infernal closets. He took down a long robe, lined with golden fur, and rubbed his fingers over the material. “This is so soft. Suede?â€

“Suede? It’s human skin!â€

The man dropped the robe. “Ick! See? You are completely stuck in the past.â€

“The past?â€

“We need to get you into some hipper couture. I mean, we all know that you’re evil, but that doesn’t mean that you have to dress in tattered robes and chains.†The man stepped away and clapped his hands. “How about this? You, and Al Pacino and ‘Devil’s Advocate.’ Isn’t that fabulous?â€

“Al Pacino?â€

“Armani suits! Hugo Boss shoes! You, draped in Versace and DG! It’s the new face of evil. It’s nouveau evil!â€

“Bah!†the Lord of Hatred shouted, raising fists into the air. “That was a terrible movie!â€

“Well, what do you prefer, Mr. I’m-so-big-and-bad? To you, what movie personifies evil?â€

The demon said instantly, “’Legend.’â€

“The big red guy in the loincloth? Eww! No, absolutely not! Besides, isn’t Keanu Reeves so much more scrumptious than Tom Cruise?â€

#

The man with the soft, gravelly voice wandered through the Lord’s suit. He had his arms crossed and said nothing as he examined every item of festering furniture, every swath of cursed curtain. He turned to face the Lord of Hatred. “So, what were you trying to go for here?â€

“I don’t understand.â€

“I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all this in a fifteenth century Dutch painting. It’s very Bosch.â€

“I designed these rooms myself to strike fear into the hearts of my foes!â€

“This all reminds me of a teenage Goth girl’s bedroom.†The man pointed at a drooping light fixture. “Gargoyles are so trite. Some Philippine light sculptures would look great here!â€

#

The Fist took his Lord to the torture pits, and they spent several hours flaying slaves. Their screams were like music to the Lord of Hatred, but in the back of his brain wormed images of the puny humans moving and replacing his furniture and clothes. A cameraman scooted closer to zoom in on his twisted face.

“Begone!â€

The man scurried away.

“Only a little while longer, master.â€

The Lord growled, “I should throw you on the rack for your insolence!â€

The Fist shrugged. “Surely, master, you’ve noticed the recent stagnation in the Lower Pits. You and your brothers are locked in a deadly stalemate. This may give us a vital edge in recruitment and fundraising.â€

“Recruitment? Fundraising? What do these words mean to me?†The Lord squinted at the Fist. “What have you and the Council been doing behind my back?â€

“Master, do you have any idea what it takes to run an infernal empire? The manpower? The budget?â€

“What budget?†the Lord screeched. “Aren’t you all slaves?â€

“Well, yes, master. Technically that’s true. A certain percentage of our staff is composed of slave labor, but how motivated do you think slaves are? We can only whip them so much before they die, you know. The best and most skilled talent is paid talent.â€

“You’re wasting my treasure on paying slaves?â€

“Of course not, master! Your private funds are separate from our operating expenses, and we’re constantly carrying out capital campaigns to increase both. Direct mailings, telephone solicitations, corporate donations. Last quarter alone we increased income by fourteen percent!â€

“Fourteen percent? That’s…uh…good?â€

“Yes, master. The accountants were quite pleased.â€

“What are accountants?â€

#

The Lord of Hatred stalked back to his suit. The Fist followed closely and continued to inform his master of how his wretched domain really operated. “The pit hounds alone require food, kenneling, handlers. And training evil wizards becomes more expensive every year. Did you know that these days it takes two doctorate degrees before one can complete the arcane rites?â€

“Two, you say?â€

“Even worse, universities worldwide continue to increase their tuition rates! They’re outpacing inflation!â€

“Can’t we negotiate better prices with them? Send the wizards in bulk?â€

“Fine idea, master!†The Fist scribbled on a pad of paper. “I’ll take that to the budgetary council.â€

“And if they don’t lower the tuition rates, we’ll kidnap their children!â€

“Excellent, master. That is truly thinking outside the box. Now you understand. We need to synergize old and new modes of thought in order to maximize our evil potential.â€

They reached the Lord’s door. The consultants stood outside it and talked quietly. They saw the demons approach, along with the cameras, and they leaped into action. One took the Lord of Hatred’s arm and pulled him into a nearby room.

It was filled with stylists and hairdressers. The Lord sat still, fidgeting only a little while the puny humans hovered around and scrubbed his face with soft sponges and worked shampoo through his hair.

“And for your special needs,†someone said, “we’ve added drops of blood! One part per one hundred. You’ll find that it’s just as effective as a one hundred percent solution.â€

The Lord of Hatred nodded with approval. A woman carefully knotted loose strands of cleaned hair into his dreadlocks.

The man in black leather pants was the stylists’ leader, and he sat down next to the demon and explained how to use facial cleanser. “You have wonderful features,†he said. “Just take care of your skin! It’s very sensitive, and all that blood has damaged it. All of these products—the cleanser, the moisturizer, this shaving cream—will provide a long-term care regime that will improve your complexion and skin tone.â€

“You look very nice, master,†the Fist said.

After that, the blonde-haired man came into the room. He pulled a large cart piled high with clothes. He held up hangers draped with expensive, dark suits. “You’ll look great in a double-breasted jacket! And look at this. I’ve incorporated some of your own vintage items. On this jacket—Armani, of course—I went and replaced the buttons with the tiny little skulls had you kept in a drawer.â€

“Very stylish,†the Fist noted. “And practical.â€

The man continued, “And I had some of your tattered robes remade into these fantastic vests. I just know that human skin will be the next must-have fabric.â€

The Lord of Hatred stood up and the man dressed him in one haute couture outfit after another. Someone pushed in a mirror and the demon stood admiring himself. He did sort of look like Al Pacino.

“If you weren’t the very personification of foul hatred I’d take you to San Francisco and file for a marriage license!†the man cried, flapping his hand in the air.

He tied a cloth over the Lord’s eyes and led him by the hand into his suit. “You won’t believe what we’ve done. You’ve gone from Middle Earth to absolutely fabulous!â€

The gravelly-voiced man spoke, “The terrible problem with your rooms was that they were stuck in a medieval kind of evil. That attitude infected not only your décor, but also your attitude.â€

A hand whipped the blindfold away, and the Lord of Hatred gasped. His crimson walls, his heavy furniture crafted of human bones and cursed wood, the flaps of human skin dangling from the ceiling, were all replaced. Everything was sleek and low, in shining black, and the walls were coated with a muted creamy paint outlined with a deep brown or red. The focal point of the sitting room was still a human skin, but the designer had spread it flat and framed it, mounted it over the cleaned fireplace, in which burned dozens of flickering candles.

“Wow,†the Lord of Hatred muttered.

They went through the other rooms of the suit. “I call this modern evil,†the man said. “See? It’s very subtle. The skin in the sitting room? Who would think that it was stripped off the hide of a little girl? And all the sofas are stuffed with human souls.â€

“I noticed,†the Lord of Hatred said.

“Of course you did. That’s because you have an eye trained for evil. To everyone else it’s just a sofa. Only after they’ve been lured in by its comfort do they realize that it’s evil.â€

“And by then it’s too late,†the Lord of Hatred cried. “Insidious evil is both more enticing and more degrading than blatant evil!â€

“My master is wise,†the Fist stated.

But then they reached the Lord’s private torture chamber. The blood-stained tables had been removed. The frames of spikes and hammers and pincers and knives had been taken down. The Lord of Hatred roared at the low desks lined with banks of sleek computers. Short demons sat before each flat screen and peered at the bright displays.

“My torture chamber! What have you done?â€

The designer touched his hand. “Don’t be so upset, your evilness. This is the new face of intelligence.â€

“But how? How am I supposed to wring information and pain from my enemies?â€

“That’s the point: information. You’re so behind the times. The best way to get information isn’t through torture. It’s through the internet! Each of these little demons is busy scouring the web for news and clues on your enemies’ plans. This little team over here is being trained in hacking and programming. In no time at all you’ll be spreading viruses and other nasty things.â€

The Fist nodded. “Your brothers are very clever, master, but none of them have an operation like this. Now they can hide nothing from us.â€

The designer held up a roll of paper. “Look at this. Just one Google search on your brothers turned up all this information.â€

The Lord shook his head. “This is too strange!â€

The man patted his shoulder. “Don’t worry. You’ll get the hang of it.†He went to a door and opened it to reveal the torture table shoved up into the closet. “And this is still here, when you want to relieve stress or anything.â€

“He’s very good, master,†the Fist said, nodding at the designer. “I hear that Pier One Imports just hired him as their spokesperson.â€

Everyone wandered back to the sitting room. The Lord of Hatred rubbed his chin. On his bookshelf he noted books by strange authors: Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, Trump. Presumably it was all part of the campaign to make the Lord of Hatred more subtle and ingenious. The Fist stood with the consultants and spoke quietly with them. He signed several forms that they held out.

“Servant,†the Lord snorted.

The Fist stalked over to the Lord of Hatred and dipped his head low. “Yes, master?â€

“I assume that you’re arranging payment?â€

“Yes, master. Human consultants are among the most expensive, but the cost is one that we can easily afford.â€

“We’re not letting them go.â€

“Excuse me, master?â€

The Lord of Hatred arranged the lapels of his jacket. He reached toward a potted plant on the coffee table and removed a flower. The severed stem screamed as he positioned in his pocket. “Let them go, and risk them betraying our new secrets to my brothers? I think not!â€

“Master, I’ve made them sign a confidentiality agreement.â€

“And how long will that last under the knives of my brothers? No, that is not enough.â€

The Fist leaned in to hiss, “But, master, we can’t. It’s bad business.â€

The Lord of Hatred waved his hand through the air. “They cannot leave.†He flashed a smile. “Throw them in the dungeon. Hire them to renovate the entire complex. I don’t care. Convince them that they don’t want to leave.â€

“But how?â€

The Lord moaned, and he shoved aside his servant and stalked toward the gibbering humans. Why was he surrounded by such incompetence? Didn’t anyone know how to be subtle?

2. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

I'm sure you can figure out the problem there.

This made me really laugh.

The only thing I don't like about your writing is that darn' ole avatar in the corner. I mean ... no offense ... but it give-a-me the creeps. Who???

3. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Awesome!!! That was hilarious, seriously. Good writing. Submitting it to TDL?

4. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

Actually, I do have one question. Why always mephisto?

5. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Because Mephisto is the easiest one to kill, and looks the most human. :) Weak+Identifiable=Easy to write.

6. neoplatonic

neoplatonic IncGamers Member

Do you really think that I would pick a character simply because they're "easy to write"?

7. kidonfire

kidonfire IncGamers Member

something unbelievable turned believable

8. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

Hey! That doesn't answer my question. If I thought I knew I wouldn't've asked. :scratch: Right?

So. Why?

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I like timeless evil being flustered by the queer eye. Good stuff as usual.

"The Lord of Hatred stalked back to his suit."

His clothes were sitting off somewhere without him? Or do you want an -e there?

10. CliffCarlisle

CliffCarlisle IncGamers Member

Where's Ted and Jai? They're my favorites!