Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Defusing sound?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by evild2player, Nov 4, 2006.

1. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

Defusing sound?

..lack of a more informing title.

Anyway. What I understand is that MP3 audio files are coded together from layers of music. And recording music on CDs use multiple layers/channels. Is there any way to split a file into each different layer? I'm trying to learn a song but it's really hard to hear the guitar in it.

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Set the volume louder! Turn it ****ing up!

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

sorry, mp3's arent encoded that way

you can use an eq to quiet the frequencies from the guitar

4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I do know that .mid files sometimes have that format, and presumably you can split them up (i.e. into individual instruments).

If you can find a decent .mid file (www.musicrobot.com has a lot but is out of date) and some software somewhere (www.versiontracker.com) you should be in business... (both of those are search tools, not advertising, methinks)

As for channels on MP3s... I know little, but there's generally two types of sound: stereo and mono. Mono is same sound all around, stereo has right and left components that most speaker and headphone systems support. My experiences in the past have found that the stereo right is more vocals and left is more bass... (exp. in the past because my headphones, which are really just wires that plug into my hearing aids, are mono :sad2:)

I'm not an expert, so I'm sure someone will be able to invalidate everything I just said :wink3:

5. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way...in fact, there is no such type of audio compression that works in that manner. The recording process uses multiple channels to record the music, but once all the mixing it done, the final product is mastered onto a two-channel mix (Left/Right), also known as Stereo.
    You can alter they way you hear certain frequencies, but you can't simply take out the guitar part and listen to that. The range of human hearing is from 20 Hz to 20 Khz. The human voice typically ranges from ~5 Hz to 10 Khz. A guitar's range will be slightly larger.
    If that part you're trying to learn has a lot of high notes, you'll need to run what's called a High Pass Filter. This will elimiate all frequencies below a certain setting. A good choice would be around 2 Khz. If the part you want to learn has a lot of lower chords, you'll need to run a Low Pass filter...which is just the opposite of the High Pass Filter. But you'll never be able to fully elimimate or single out any particular peice of the music.
    Now that I've thouroughly geekified this discussion, I'll tell you that the best software to do this with is pretty expensive. The basic EQ's the come with most consumer grade audio cards won't be precise enough to give you what you're looking for, but it would still be worth a try.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Does MP3 support 5.1 surround sound or anything like that? I've never listened to one that did.

7. Stompwampa

I honestly don't know. I have software that can mix 5.1 surround audio, but I don't know what format it mixes it down to. Surround sound is a little different, because it still uses stereo mixed audio, but it just tells the audio which speakers to go to. But I know you need more than I L/R mix if you want sound coming from every speaker...I've never actually played around with it though...

8. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

mp3 doesnt encode to 5.1, but there are tools to convert it into stereo surround

youll need an ac3 codec to do keep the 5.1-7.1 from dvd's ect..

if you playback the piece in winamp or windows media player 9+ you can use the eq to filter some also

9. evild2player

Thanks for the help, I'll try the mid thing.

Also, the guitar part is just simple chords with a weird pattern of finger picking. I could easily play it if I could hear it. The tabs of the song only give me chords and I can understand why. If any of you are wondering, the song is called Lemon Tree.

Thanks for everyone's knowledge. I was enlightened.

10. Stompwampa

You have to have the song in MIDI format if you want to try it that way...if MIDI isn't the native format, you're out of luck. Plus, you'll need a MIDI editor, which can be very expensive. Good MIDI software is very versatile, and you can do a lot with the music samples it offers, but it really isn't the answer to what you're trying to do. Sorry.

11. evild2player

I don't think I can find a midi version of it anyway. I'll just give up now =P Thanks for your effort though.

12. Stompwampa

well I have the software here at work to pull apart the frequencies....send me a pm and I can pull the song apart for you...it may not be what you're looking for, but it is your best option.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You can convert it to midi format if you want, but then of course it will sound like a midi file.

14. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

That's somethign very few programs can do... possibly only through playing mp3 through your sound-out jack and rerecording it with a recorder.

I know that .mid to .mp3 takes the length of the song to do the conversion... (thus presumably it does the above internally...)

15. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

there are mp3 to wav converters that can do it quickly with basic midi definitions

but the midi can sound different if you load some other instruments to the midi memory on your sound card

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I had a midi to mp3 converter on my hard drive, I think I just googled "mp3 to midi". It did take rather a long time, so you might be right.

17. Stompwampa

even so, unless you record the entire thing in midi originally, you still can't do what the OP is trying to do.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, I don't think so either.

19. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

yup, but midi doesnt record words :scratch:

20. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I'm interested to hear how the resulting midi file turned out (since words shouldn't be clear enough to understand...)

Could you upload it and PM/post the link? :)

midi to mp3 had its uses because some old game music was .mid a totally rocks enough to be on my mp3 player. And some songs sound better in their midi version (November Rain and Smells Like Teen Spirit come to mind, I'm not a fan of heavy rock over voice, which those are originally).

Am I correct in understanding that midis are generally recordings others have done with at home tools?