Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

definition of melee

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by xtc_sazabi, Mar 15, 2004.

1. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

definition of melee

what is the definition of a "melee" duel?
    is WW a melee attack?

i recently dueled someone who told me that WW is not a melee attack. He used a Doom axe and Smite and lifetap and told me i could not WW because it is not considered Melee. Is it? i WWed him anyway, cuz he was being a jerk, but please, input.

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I think melee usually comprises skills that require the combatants to stand still and fight, at least nowadays. Whirlwind is a grey area, though I usually don't think of it as melee since you don't have to stand and swing like conc/berserk/zeal/fury characters do. Still though, with him using Doom, smite, and lifetap, he can kiss off.

-Hal

3. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

ok, thx, if they wanna play fair, so will i, but if they decide to bend the rules in their favor, no holdin back.

4. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

According to the dictionary melee is when you fight with anything that you hold in your hand and that doesnt involve trowing or shooting anything. Or the hart of a batle, but we'll ignore that for the moment. So technically any barb skills is melee except double trow. But, many people consider WW to be to powerfull against a normal melee char (druid, paladin, MA sin without "chaos"). I use ww vs any char, until I notice they can't hurt me (zealot usually can't scratch me for example), then I stop attacking them because my barb isnt going to win from, say, a smiter without ww ^_^

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

omg, zeal only plz

umm yea, whirlwind that sucka, apparently he doesn't have much skill, whirlwind is dodgable and then he can smite your manaless butt 'til the cows come home, but if he can't defend it, it's his problem, and if he knew what was good for him he would change weapons instead of freezing a whirler

6. Alkanine

Alkanine IncGamers Member

smiting is kinda like smuthering your body with your shield onto someone else. Im not sure that counts

7. HandofElysium

HandofElysium IncGamers Member

You ever see Gladiator? You see Russel Crowe smash his shield in to the guys head then stick his weapon in the guys foot? Thats isn't melee?

People are always going to get upset about Smite/WW if they aren't one themselves simply because they are the two most powerful melee attacks in the game.

8. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

Poeple complain about what they cannot defete. People in the palapk games on east complain bout me using battle cry. I just say dont use HS or Fant and I wont use it.

About the whirlwind and melee question:

Attacks are basicly broke up into 3 different groups

Casted

Whirlwind(yes its just so godly it gets its own group)

Melee

They are broke up like that cause of the different type of duels and equipment outfits for those duels and honestly WWing a pally or druid while they just hack away is kinda unfair. A good ww barb will always beat a good pally standing trying to attack.

As for the smite comment refer to top statement.

9. Alkanine

Alkanine IncGamers Member

I guess your right I just dont like how theres no defense vs smite it (reminds) me of a spell that you cant defend against I guess. For myself I clasify any attack you can defend with normal (armor) defense as a melee. That means yes I think WW is melee OMG :yawn:

10. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife IncGamers Member

in a public game called "melee duels" expect at least 3 caster classes so its hard to actually go melee against them.

In a sanctioned clan duel or whatever tho, melee means no ww, now arrows or whatever. Zons think they are going melee when they use charged strike but IMO its an elemental attack so it isn't 'melee.'

If you're going by what does phys. dmg, then beserk isn't melee but guided arrow is. I usually dont worry about it. If I'm doing an attack that isn't melee, i usually just conc them or something.

11. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Seems people who believe "WW is not melee" don't think about the standard dictionary definition of that word. Obviously there's gonna be confusion about it then.

Why not just set everybodies attack to "normal" and then people can say "IAS isn't melee" :surprise:

12. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

We'll I'm sure all of us had dueled a Barbarian that has WW'ed before. But unlike most attacks the reason why It's so frowned upon is due to the fact that I'ts uninteruptable. Most of the time I find people countering WW by chasing the Barb and as most of you know ure defense is almost nothing when running and your blocking is 1/3 so this type of thing would give me a reason to complain. (This is an opinion so don't start flaming.).

[email protected]~

13. PuSs Says Go Time

PuSs Says Go Time IncGamers Member

ww is as much melee as warcry is.
    phys=ww+warcry
    blockable=ww+warcry
    ias dependant=ww
    ar dependant=ww
    range dependant=ww+warcry
    well maybe i'm wrong but thought i was on to something there. i still think ww is just as melee as warcry. so don't stop ww'ing cuz someone says it's not, ww more in that case. if they ask for conc vs smite duel. they just want to kill ya n run away with yer gold.

14. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

of course ww is melee