Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Defense for the Necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Arkardo, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

Defense for the Necro

Hi all,

I've been wondering, how much does defense do for a Necro (or any spellcaster for that matter)? People offer an Ist for a perfect Harlequin Crest all the time, while the lowest only offers 43 defense less. I always thought Necro's can't get their defense high enough to make it any difference in Hell.

If defense DOES matter, should I wait with Um-ing my Harlequin Crest (101 defense) until I get a better one?

Many thanks!

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn Diabloii.Net Member

People who pay Ist for a 141 def Harly either have too much wealth, have easy access to questionable runes, or haven't the slightest clue of the game mechanics.

For your necro, the extra 43 def in a 141 def Harly is about as useful as a pretty face on your Clay Golem. Feel free to Um your 101 def Harly.

A perfect Harly may be sought by chars who have skill bonuses to defense, such as a Holy Shield paladin. Even then, the extra 43 def a perfect Harly offers will not contribute greatly to the overall defense, even after +% defense bonus from skills.

3. Phesto

Phesto Diabloii.Net Member

If you're playing PvM exclusively your defense shouldn't even be taken into consideration.

4. gibsonSG

gibsonSG Diabloii.Net Member

FrostBurn's right. I really never understood this myself - it makes it a ***** to trade your items away because most people are idiots, yet are still sticklers for "high defense" things or whatever. The fact of the matter is this: it takes THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of points in defense to alter your chances of getting hit. I forgot where it was, but someone had a thread on this and it showed how sharp the diminishing returns were (I think it was a Paladin query on how much defense it would take to lower an Uber-boss's chance to hit you). Either way, it ended up being a change in THOUSANDS of defense points in order to like, reduce your chance of being hit by 3% or something like that. So yeah - with a class that doesn't have a skill offering SICK defense % bonuses, it's really quite irrelevant...

If you plan on doing PvP, I believe there's 4 defensive goals you want to shoot for. I forget the order, as it depends on WHO you're dueling, but they are as follows: Resists/Absorbtion, Max Block, % Damage Reduction, Massive Hit Points. Resists/Absorb obviously reduce elemental damage, Max Block is like 75% "physical resistance" (as 75% of their melee will not deal you any damage), % Damage Reduction reduces what DOES hit you by 50% I think (that's the new cap, right?), and Massive Hit Points just mean you can take more damage. The priority of these usually varies, as you want to aim for different things when you're playing against different classes. However, most "godly" gear set-ups will be able to (at least) adequately cover all of these facets.

Hope that helps man!!!

5. leddan

leddan Diabloii.Net Member

A lot of people who feel they are an "elite" dueler only want "perfect" items on their charachter. Has to be perfect mods, defense, etc.. They still die just the same though :D

Generally defense on a necromancer is nothing to even worry about. Especially if you're pvm & using casting/summon skills only.

6. Arkardo

Arkardo Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you, that was very helpful indeed. Sounds like if I ever (and I mean ever) get to assemble my own Enigma, I'll just stick to a Breastplate (not bothering getting a high quality) so I can use it on all characters that I don't spend any strength points on. :azn:

EDIT: This might be a little out of place, but I just realized I've put 16 points in Shout with my level 78 Concentrate Barb. Each point gives almost 200 extra defense. I noticed my Barb kills quite slowly, even though he uses a Doombringer. Would I have been better off putting those points in Bash for the 5% damage synergy for Concentrate?