Defense and running question?

MasterMegatron

Diabloii.Net Member
Defense and running question?

Does running put defense to zero? If yes, does a pally's charge count as running? Thanks.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
MasterMegatron said:
Does running put defense to zero? If yes, does a pally's charge count as running? Thanks.
As far as I know running only drops your blocking to 1/3. I presume pally's charge count as running (you run fast towards your enemy and then bash them with your speed and strength)

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Running will make all attempts to hit bypass the chance to hit formula. Charge counts as attacking IIRC.

dunno if it's a bug or not, but when you run, your def goes to 0 but it doesn't show that on your character screen.

and yes, i think that means it just ignores calculating the chance to hit and lets them hit you.

no idea about charge. -_-

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
dunno if it's a bug or not, but when you run, your def goes to 0 but it doesn't show that on your character screen.

and yes, i think that means it just ignores calculating the chance to hit and lets them hit you.
With bypassing I mean that the formula is not used at all when you're running. If only defense was set to 0, then the Clvl/Mlvl variable could still change the chance to be hit. It's a feature.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Need clarification

Ignore Target Defense (ITD) still uses the Chance-To-Hit formula, but replaces defense with 0 against whitenames (regular monsters) only, so level comparisons can still lower the chance below 95%, which is the maximum?

Running ignores Chance-To-Hit formula altogether, meaning a hit is gauranteed or just 95%?

So whenever you're attacked (melee), as long as you're within range of their attack, you always get hit? I've always wanted to know the spacial system Diablo I/II use to determine this. Is it similar to the VIS used in many FPS games, where your character occupies a specific box and if an attack enters that box while you're running it's automatic (95%)?

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Ax2Grind said:
Ignore Target Defense (ITD) still uses the Chance-To-Hit formula, but replaces defense with 0 against whitenames (regular monsters) only, so level comparisons can still lower the chance below 95%, which is the maximum?
When an attempt to hit goes through the chance to hit formula, a cap of 95% is added.

Running ignores Chance-To-Hit formula altogether, meaning a hit is gauranteed or just 95%?
Apart from blocking (reduced to 1/3rd) and Evade, it's an autohit.

So whenever you're attacked (melee), as long as you're within range of their attack, you always get hit? I've always wanted to know the spacial system Diablo I/II use to determine this. Is it similar to the VIS used in many FPS games, where your character occupies a specific box and if an attack enters that box while you're running it's automatic (95%)?
Ranged attacks are also autohit when running. D2 uses a tile system, a character is 5 small squares, with one in the middle and 4 around that one. When you're running and a ranged or melee attack ends up at those tiles, it becomes auto-hit, if it didn't already ignore the chance to hit formula.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
RTB said:
Ranged attacks are also autohit when running. D2 uses a tile system, a character is 5 small squares, with one in the middle and 4 around that one. When you're running and a ranged or melee attack ends up at those tiles, it becomes auto-hit, if it didn't already ignore the chance to hit formula.
Where the hell do you get that kind of information :lol:

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah. Follow-ups?

RTB said:
When an attempt to hit goes through the chance to hit formula, a cap of 95% is added.

Apart from blocking (reduced to 1/3rd) and Evade, it's an autohit.

Alright, without the formula the cap doesn't apply so, technically, it's 100% when running and failing the one-third block. Evading though... I realize that Evade is a skill, but is there a 5% chance for any character to 'duck' an attack (taking evading, avoiding and dodging aspects all into account)? I ask because I constantly see monsters twitch as I swing at them and miss. They obviously aren't blocking, since they have no shield and I hear no block sound, and I thought I saw players do this from time to time.

Tile system makes sense, mainly because the game isn't true 3D. Taking a 2D pattern that applies from the ground up, and the pictures of stairs and ramps on maps aren't really such, just a path with a picture that looks as it is. Is everything in this tile system squarish or is each square a combination of two triangles as in other games (seems like true squares from what I see in lighting, which is poor)?

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Ax2Grind said:
Alright, without the formula the cap doesn't apply so, technically, it's 100% when running and failing the one-third block. Evading though... I realize that Evade is a skill, but is there a 5% chance for any character to 'duck' an attack (taking evading, avoiding and dodging aspects all into account)? I ask because I constantly see monsters twitch as I swing at them and miss. They obviously aren't blocking, since they have no shield and I hear no block sound, and I thought I saw players do this from time to time.
No there isn't. Quite a few monsters have no run animation and a very high walk speed, equal to the run speed.

Tile system makes sense, mainly because the game isn't true 3D. Taking a 2D pattern that applies from the ground up, and the pictures of stairs and ramps on maps aren't really such, just a path with a picture that looks as it is. Is everything in this tile system squarish or is each square a combination of two triangles as in other games (seems like true squares from what I see in lighting, which is poor)?
They're true squares, deformed by the perspective of course.

sheepe2004

Diabloii.Net Member
Alot of monsters do have block

Does ww count as attacking, walking or running then?
Im guessing not running since i never seem to take dmg while in a ww.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
sheepe2004 said:
Alot of monsters do have block
Almost every monster has a block chance listed at the AS, but not that many monsters have a shield and a blocking animation, so the total percentage of monsters that can actually block is small. Act bosses are the exception to the rule, and may block at the listed percentage.

Does ww count as attacking, walking or running then?
Im guessing not running since i never seem to take dmg while in a ww.
Attacking.