Defence

Tib

Diabloii.Net Member
Defence

I'm just curious, what are the PRACTICAL applications of Defence? What is it that defence actually DOES, and how much def = 1% chance to evade something? Does def affect your char lvl or vice versa? What's a nice number for def to have as a caster and/or melee? Does 500 BASE (from crap to a good item) def have a big impact on things in the long run?

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
There is no direct correspondence between defese rating and chance to be hit: defense is part of the "to-hit" formula, along with attack rating (of the attacker) and the levels of attacker and defender.

As an example: my playchar, a lvl 91 Skelemancer, has a defense rating of 1905, which means that a A1 Bloodmoor Quill Rat has a 40% chance to hit.
However, a Thorned Hulk from A5 Bloody Foothills has a 65% chance to hit me.

Whether or not defense is *needed* depends on the build; it's always *useful*. If you have a build that doesn't get hit anyway then defense is more of a safety net; if your build is constantly attacked by monsters than it's pretty much a must-have.
Same goes for blocking, which is simply a different type of defense. If your build doesn't need blocking then there's a good chance it doesn't need defense either.

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
Tib said:
I'm just curious, what are the PRACTICAL applications of Defence? What is it that defence actually DOES, and how much def = 1% chance to evade something? Does def affect your char lvl or vice versa? What's a nice number for def to have as a caster and/or melee? Does 500 BASE (from crap to a good item) def have a big impact on things in the long run?
There is always 5% chance that you will be hit, regardless of how much defense you have.

How much defense is really useful is hard to tell. Melee chars without a shield (like dual wielding Barbarians) are in highest need of defense obviously, since that's the only thing that helps them not being hit.

Chars with a shield (Pala, Necro, Sorc, or Amazons/Assasins with their passive skills), don't need to stack up on the defense, since shields/skills help a lot in avoiding damage as well.

Also note that defense is reduced to zero when running.

Tib

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:
Good tip! Thanks!

I'm primarily thinking about a pvp bone necro w/nigma. I'm thinking of putting in max block, and worried bout which enigma to give him since high def requires high str... which is rough for a boner :(

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:
The chance to hit formula is ignored when hit while running. This must be one of the most common misconceptions ever in D2.