Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Defence

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Tib, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Tib

Tib IncGamers Member

Defence

I'm just curious, what are the PRACTICAL applications of Defence? What is it that defence actually DOES, and how much def = 1% chance to evade something? Does def affect your char lvl or vice versa? What's a nice number for def to have as a caster and/or melee? Does 500 BASE (from crap to a good item) def have a big impact on things in the long run?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

There is no direct correspondence between defese rating and chance to be hit: defense is part of the "to-hit" formula, along with attack rating (of the attacker) and the levels of attacker and defender.

As an example: my playchar, a lvl 91 Skelemancer, has a defense rating of 1905, which means that a A1 Bloodmoor Quill Rat has a 40% chance to hit.
    However, a Thorned Hulk from A5 Bloody Foothills has a 65% chance to hit me.

Whether or not defense is *needed* depends on the build; it's always *useful*. If you have a build that doesn't get hit anyway then defense is more of a safety net; if your build is constantly attacked by monsters than it's pretty much a must-have.
    Same goes for blocking, which is simply a different type of defense. If your build doesn't need blocking then there's a good chance it doesn't need defense either.

3. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

There is always 5% chance that you will be hit, regardless of how much defense you have.

How much defense is really useful is hard to tell. Melee chars without a shield (like dual wielding Barbarians) are in highest need of defense obviously, since that's the only thing that helps them not being hit.

Chars with a shield (Pala, Necro, Sorc, or Amazons/Assasins with their passive skills), don't need to stack up on the defense, since shields/skills help a lot in avoiding damage as well.

Also note that defense is reduced to zero when running.

5. Tib

Tib IncGamers Member

Good tip! Thanks!

I'm primarily thinking about a pvp bone necro w/nigma. I'm thinking of putting in max block, and worried bout which enigma to give him since high def requires high str... which is rough for a boner :(

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The chance to hit formula is ignored when hit while running. This must be one of the most common misconceptions ever in D2.