Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Deer..animal rights..and death

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Jun 14, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Deer..animal rights..and death

How do you all stand on the idea of humane deer killing out of season? Here in NE Ohio, we have a horrible deer problem. Not only to they eat everything in people's landscapes, they cause death:

Three killed, Falls man hurt in interstate accident caused by deer

Associated Press

LODI, Ohio - A minivan trying to avoid three deer ran across the Interstate 71 median and collided with another vehicle in northeast Ohio Tuesday, killing the driver and her two children and injuring the driver of the other vehicle, the State Highway Patrol said.

The minivan, driven by Hilda Hanbali, 43, of Hilliard near Columbus, was headed north when she apparently lost control about 7 a.m., the patrol said. The vehicle went across a median near Lodi, in Medina County about 35 miles southwest of Cleveland.

She was killed along with her daughter, Ilham Hanbali, 18, and 8-year-old son, Adam Hanbali.

The driver of the southbound minivan, John Zielinski, 43, of Cuyahoga Falls near Akron, was taken by helicopter to Akron General Medical Center, where he was listed in serious condition.

The southbound lanes were closed for about three hours after the collision.

"She decided to swerve to avoid the deer," said patrol Lt. G.A. Westover. "That's the probable scenario. Most people are animal lovers and don't want to hurt a deer. Most people don't have skills to safely make an evasive maneuver at a high speed."

Something has to be done about the deer population. Everytime something comes up, the animal rights advocates get into a snit. I love animals just as much as the next gal, but when they start walking onto the freeway and causing deaths, its time to do something.

Would you swerve to avoid a deer? A deer/car collision is nasty in itself. This is one reason that I decided to have full coverage on my vehicles here. I work in deer country and don't want to take the chance that I will hit one of those silly beasts.

2. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Sure, I'd try to avoid hitting a deer; not only for the deer's sake, but for mine and my possible passengers.

But really, I don't agree that deer cause accidents. They never did, at least, until cars came along.

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

For those that remember, I once made a thread called "Hit the deer". It was swallowed up in the last forum crash.

"Most people don't have skills to safely make an evasive maneuver at a high speed."

That pretty much sums it up. The best thing you can do is keep your vehicle in your lane. Hit the deer and hope for the best. It sucks but that's it.

4. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

What keeps the deer population "in check" is a healthy natural predator population, which I suspect is lacking in NE Ohio. Since stemming the tide of civilization and de-populating Ohio is probably out of the question, a kulling might be in order.

5. zodiac66

Mixed, you have no idea what NE Ohio is dealing with in the deer population. Granted, they have lost some of their habitat, but they are reproducing like rabbits. I saw two a few months ago outside my apartment complex.

So, what does one do if a deer ventures onto the freeway?

I have been lucky, I have avoided numerous accidents due to the fact that I know about the deer rule....deer always travel in 2's. If you see one crossing the road, another is sure to follow.

As human population increases, the land for the deer decreases, thus creating problems. They have no place to live, other than our backyards. When they start to wander onto the freeway, they do cause accidents.

If on a country road, I will most certainly slow down to avoid them, but if on the freeway, let the guts fly. I am not going to risk the lives of my children for that of a deer.

Should the hunting season be widened? Should the State step in and allow humane executions? I say yes.

6. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Yes to both. Human rights usurp those of animals. When it comes down to the health and saftey of people vs. the health and saftey of the animal we must look out for our species best intrests.

Keep in mind that no other species cares whether its being "humane" or not when they kill others.

7. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

lower speed limit should solve that problem IMO. if you are driving slower than probably you will be able to stop. and as amra said most people can't control their car when they start making turns with 100km/h

8. zodiac66

Uh..the speed limit on 71 is at least 55 mph. 71 is a freeway, expressway or whatever you want to call it. I don't think excess speed was the reason for the accident. More than likely, the speed limit vs. a deer.

9. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Deer have a habit of jumping/appearing in your headlights in the middle of the night (personal experience when I used to live in NY state). People used to hit most of the deer on surface streets doing about 25-35 miles an hour. Are you suggesting we reduce the speed on the highways to less than that (currently 55-65 mph in US).

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Deer are tasty. They have the right to remain delicious.

11. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

why not? i think that 60 miles per hour is around 80 or 90 km/h which is pretty fast. i am not saying that ther will be no more deer accidents all i am saying is that the chance of stopping sooner is bigger that way.

12. zodiac66

Uh, no..it doesn't work that way. Deer will bound out from the sides and there is no way you can stop on the freeway, no matter how fast you are going. Remember..its free/express way. It is meant for faster travel than back roads.

NY is bad. I remember seeing numerous dead deer on I-90 during mating season on the side of road.

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

hmmm...the only solution that i can think of then is putting a high fence around the roads which will prevent deers from jumping out of nowhere. it will be pretty expensive though :rolleyes:

14. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

Here in norther California the deer problem is also pretty bad. They're everywhere. I even have about 15 or so living in the area behind my house. I dont think people are going to be allowed to kill off deer within city limits (or near cities at least) anytime soon, and I dont think making the speed limit lower will help either.

It seems to me the best solution is to just have people being aware and alert that there are possibly deer present in the area. No, it's not the perfect solution-- I think in this case there is no perfect solution--but at least it should prevent some people from being injured by deer on the roadways. I know it's saved me a few times. Whenever I see deer on the road, which is at least once a week, I keep my wits about me, slow down, swirve around them or whatever needs to be done to keep myself safe.

15. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I hit a turkey while delivering the other day.

It started crossing the road when I was doing about 55... Jumped up and flew right into my windshield.

16. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Deer populations are high everywhere.

Hunters are the solution.

17. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

Have a massive culling, then give the meat and hides to the homeless. Then, take all the nasty offal, ichor, and worthless crap, airlift it to the nearest PETA headquarters, and drop the whole load on their heads.

Let nothing be wasted.

18. piff

piff IncGamers Member

my life and my families' lives > anything else's lives

I can't put it much more simply than that.

19. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I remember in Michigan when there was an population explosion or white-tailed deer, the State was praticely handing out deer tags. The sweet part was it started just in time for bow season. :clap: We have animal rights freaks of course, but we also had The Nuge to counteract that.

The Deer lack a natural Predator, therefor they are everywhere. Usually Wolves hunt them, but introducing them would get the farmers underwear in a roll. I love animals perhaps even more than most people, but I understand that nature has her own checks and blances. We need to quit stepping on them.

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Actually, that accident was caused by poor driving. The best thing to do is always to get on the brakes in a stable manner and drive right through the animal.

I have a friend who plowed through a herd of antelope in Eastern OR and totalled his Isuzu. I have a cousin who once swerved to avoid a squirrel (!) and rolled the car, putting his passenger into a coma for weeks. I know which one I'd prefer to happen to me.

Drivers need better training.