Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dedicated Hammerdin Guide

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by dkay, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

Dedicated Hammerdin Guide

i checked into the old guides and saw that they are a bit outdated. then i saw the guide wutang posted (which was good for a first shot imo) but it got locked so i guess i should give it a shot since im pretty knowledgeable with hammerdins.

NOTE THE GUIDE IS NOT DONE. STILL NEED TO ADD PVP SECTION (which is actually the main part but i just want to get feedback on my layout and etc.

ennnnnnnnjoy~

My background:

hello my name is dkay (or dk as some call) and although I’m retired from d2, I feel that I have played hammerdins long enough to give out a guide. This guide is for those who wish to make a dedicated hammerdin (by dedicated I mean you are willing to invest a lot of runes or valuables to make a good character) I’ve made over 6 hammerdins over the period of my .10 days, I’ve experimented with hammerdin varients as well such as vanquishers and mages which are also very sucessful builds in my opinion. But this guide is for the players who wish to PvP with a "pure" hammerdin. Here’s my first shot at a guide so flame/comment on it as much as you want.

Disclaimer:

Anything I mention in my PvP section is from my own experience, of course everyone has their own opinions. You will also get flamed a lot in pub duels simply because many people believe hammerdins are "cheap" builds, and they are right; if hammerdins are played correctly, they have a good chance to beat any build.

Start:

Just to clear up any number crunching problems. Here is the fcr and fhr breakpoints:

Faster Cast Rate:

0% fcr - 15 frames
    9% fcr - 14 frames
    18% fcr - 13 frames
    30% fcr - 12 frames
    48% fcr - 11 frames
    75% fcr - 10 frames
    125% fcr - 9 frames

Fast Hit Recovery:

0% fhr - 9 frames
    7% fhr - 8 frames
    15% fhr - 7 frames
    27% fhr - 6 frames
    48% fhr - 5 frames
    86% fhr - 4 frames
    200% fhr - 3 frames

Since this is a PvP guide instead of a PvM, I will not go indepth to the level methods. what I did was power level. if any of you do not know what power leveling is, it is a way to get to high levels real quick with the help of a second party:

1. Get rushed to hell after you make a new character.
    2. Tristram run from levels 1-14ish~ **
    3. Tomb run to level 14-20. **
    4. Normal cow runs from level 20-24. **
    5. Normal ancients. level 25.
    6. Skip normal baal and go straight to pub game nightmare cow games. level 25-39. **
    7. Nightmare ancients. level 40.
    8. Nightmare baal to level 59.
    9. Hell ancients. level 60.
    10. Hell baal runs until desired level.

**: have a friend enchant and use Ravenclaw unique Long Bow.

Note: as a pure hammerdin, you really do not need to level past low 80's, BUT since this is for PvP I suggest you level your character to low 90's at least.

Why? Because the higher level you are, the harder it is for enemies to hit you, this is important against barbs and zealers etc.

Stats:

I suggest you save all your stat points until you are at least level 70, this way you can distribute stats accordingly with the help of Annhilus charm.

Strength: Many hammerdins go base strength, but I like to use Crown of Ages in some duels so I invested about 20 total. Investing SOME strength actually opens up more options for other items so don’t worry if you sink 10-20 into strength, it is only an equivilance to a loss of 110ish~ life after battle orders.

Dexterity: Add this accordingly. Keep sinking points in here until you hit 75% block WITH HOLYSHIELD.

Vita: Sink as much as possible. Hammerdins must be tanks because some strategies in PvP require you to take some hits.

Energy: none of course ;) you can easily hit over 1000 mana with none in energy.

Skills:

The skills that you invest are pretty straight forward:
    -20 Hammers
    -20 Vigor
    -20 Blessed aim
    -20 Concentration

Important 1 point wonders:
    -1 Meditation
    -1 Holyshield
    -1 Charge

Hammers: this is of course your main attack and defensive skill. Many people say that hammers are only a defensive skill so that they suck, but if played correctly, you can use this as an offensive skill as well. You will also have charge as a backup skill so you will always have SOME sort of attack at all times.

Vigor: This is your mobility skill, if you have this aura on while your charge, you go very fast. If you do vigor + charge long enough in a public game, you will "desync." which you can use as an advantage against other players

What is "desync"?

"Desync" or "desynchronize," is where your movements are so quick that you appear in areas you are not (on the enemy’s screen). This confuses people and opens opportunities for you to attack. Note that other characters can desync as well, so your not the only one with this capability.

Blessed aim: This is just a synergy of hammer so max this for more hammer damage. You can also use this when you charge with an offensive weapon, such as ‘doom’ Berserker Axe or ‘ebotd’ Berserker Axe, giving you more attack rating.

Concentration: The only aura that boosts your hammer damage, this is important to max since it will raise your hammer damage significantly, it can also be mixed with charge to deal massive damage.

Meditation: This skill is somewhat overlooked, but even with 1 point, this skill can regenerate your mana by 500%. my own hammerdin has over 1000 mana, but still burns faster than I can regenerate, thats when I switch to this aura and regenerate to full mana in mere seconds. It also regenerates your life based on the number of + skill items you have.

Holy Shield: Tthis is a must for hammerdins, I have seen many hammerdins that never utilize Holy Shield, of course they quickly fall to zealots and barbs. This will save you stat points so you don’t have to invest as much into dexterity, which in turn means more life. If you invest more into this skill, you are doing it for more defense, since Holy Shield has diminishing returns.

Charge: Mobility and offensive attack. If you are the type that loves to make quick and violent movements, this is your skill. Even with just 1 point, you have the potential to do 8000+ damage with EBOTD Berserker Axe. It also allows you to escape stunlocks (which trapsins do) and projectiles that caster classes may shoot at you.

What do I do with my remaining points?

Good question, after you level towards 83-85, you will have some skill points left over. Where you invest it, its up to you. I, personally invested the rest of my points into holy shield for more defense. Here are some skills you can sink your remaining into:

-Holyshield
    -Charge
    -Meditation
    -Holy freeze

Again…really, it’s up to you.

Items:

Important note that there are some requirements you will want to meet when choosing your items, here are some:

-At LEAST 75% fcr
    -At least 20% dr
    -At least 5 frame fhr (which is 48% fhr)

Helm:

-Shako
    -Crown of Ages
    -2/20/2 circlet

Shako is the "overall" helm for most hammerdins. With shako you gain life/mana which is good for all casters, the +2 all skills will raise your damage and life (higher bo level). It also tops you off with 10% damage reduction, which is crucial against physical damage dealing classes.

Crown of Ages should only be used for it's damage reduction. Double Ber it and you can achieve high damage reduction. The resistance and fhr is also very useful. Be careful about its steep strength requirement. I had some very good gear so I was able to wear this without investing too much strength.

2/20/2 circlet should only be used when you want to achieve the hammerdin's 125% faster cast rate breakpoint. It will allow you to cast hammers and teleport faster. This helm is very expensive but it is also shoppable, so start saving your gold since it’s rare.

Amulet:

-Maras
    -Rare
    -Crafted
    -Highlords

Maras gives you stats/skills/resistance.. enough said.

Rares can actually spawn very good mods. aim for mods which include:
    -2 to pally skills
    -stats
    -resistance
    -life/mana

Crafted amulets can actually get VERY godly. aim for ones with faster cast rate. of course getting lucky is the hard part. i actually crafted a pally ammy with these mods:

-1 pally skills
    -20% fcr
    -20 strength
    -some mana and life

Highlords is a very good amulet. it comes with 1 to all skills and lighting resist. of course the main reason I included this is when you feel like charging with an offensive weapon. It comes with deadly strike based on your character level, which basically means, it will double your damage.

Armor:

-Enigma
    -Viper Magi

The only real choice here to be a competitive player is Enigma. Preferably in a light armor with very low strength requirements. Don’t aim for archon plates because the strength requirement exceeds 100. Aim for mage plate/breast plate/ light plate.

Gloves:

-Trang gloves
    -Bloodfists
    -Magefists

From my experience, I loved having both Trang glove and Bloodfists on my pally. I switched off accordingly. If you have at least 75% fcr, I suggest you use Bloodfist for its life and fhr. If you are desperate for fcr, use trang gloves for the resist. Magefists aren’t that great for this build since mana regen is useless (you’ve got meditation)

Shield:

-HoZ
    -Stormshield

I think HoZ is the best shield for PvP. EVERY mod on it is desirable and I really don’t see why anyone would use anything else. I know its cookie cutter but its just too good to pass up. You will only use Stormshield if you are desperate for damage reduction.

Weapon:

-Wizspike
    -Hoto
    -EBOTD zerk
    -DOOM zerk
    -Eth razors edge
    -Anything with massive damage
    -‘Spirit’ crystal sword

Wizspike in my opinion is one of the greatest caster weapons alive. Every mod on it is just screaming caster.

Hoto or Heart of the Oak is a runeword that requires a Vex rune to make. Be sure you make this in a flail class, for it only activates when it’s in a flail class. It is definitely worth the hi rune though. Every mod including the oak summon is invaluable for PvP (ill go into details later)

THE HOTO VRS WIZ DEBATE:
    Which is better? Its really up to you. I personally switched from Hoto and Wizardspike. I used Wizardspike when I dueled sorcs and casters with - resist gear or skills. (Blizz sorcs and some really, decked out Fohers) but when I dueled barbs and necros, I used Hoto so I can get quick 1 hit kills (good necros average around 2200-2400 life, with 13-14k hammers you can get 1 hit kills). If you decide to switch between the two like I did, you HAVE to Ko the Wizardspike or put a 15/9 jewel (15 resistance 9 Dex) so that you can make up for the loss of Dex that Hoto provides.

All other high-powered weapons are used for specific duels. I will go indepth in the PvP section.

Spirit is a RW I never used because I never joined ladder, but the mods on it are well suited for casters. It is definitely a weapon to consider.

Weapon switch:

-CTA: ‘Call to Arms’
    -‘Spirit’/Lidless

For switch you will need a call to arms runeword and a ‘Spirit’/Lidess, this will boost your life significantly, and it is the key if you want to exceed 4000 life.
    Try getting a ‘Spirit’, if you are not on ladder, use Lidless.

Rings:

-Sojs
    -Bk (Bul Kathos Wedding Band)
    -Rare
    -Crafted

All the rings are used to boost your already powerful hammerdin with more power. Sojs provide mana and skill, Bk does the same except with life. I prefer Soj over Bk though. My pally used duped rare rings but you can find godly rare rings as well. Aim for the following mods:

-10% fcr (crucial, if you don’t have this, stick with sojs)
    -Resistance
    -Stats
    -Mana
    -Life

Rare and crafted rings are used when you are struggling for fcr. Usually hitting 75% fcr is easy, hitting 125% fcr is hard, this is where the rings come in handy. My own hammerdin had 1 soj and 1 fcr ring.

Belt:

-Arach
    -Rare

Any belt with fcr and other mods is good. I prefer Arachnids, since it is easiest to obtain and it comes with 1 to all skills and 20% fcr which leaves you with more flexibility. if you can find a crafted belt with godly mods, I’m jealous and I suggest you use that instead. Some mods to look for on a crafted belt:

-15+ faster cast rate
    -Faster hit recovery
    -Life
    -Mana
    -Resist
    -Stats

Boots:

-Rares
    -Waterwalks
    -Threads of cton

Rare boots can spawn some very good mods. of course that was in .08 patch >< I personally used duped rare boots that provided strength/massive resistance/fhr.

If you are really against dupes, I suggest waterwalks for the dex and life boost. With perfect Waterwalks, you can add up to an equivalence of over 180 life after bo.

Setups:

This is a list of setups that I have experimented with, and found ideal:

For overall Pub game-
    -Ber'd shako
    -Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -Soj
    -Rare ring with fcr/resist/stats/life/mana
    -Trang glove
    -Arach mesh
    -Ber’d HoZ
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

The 125 fcr Setup (many people believe this is a must, but I think you can kill even “pro†players with 75.. I’ve done it many times.)

-2/20/2 circ- I would SERIOUSLY consider double bering this. Almost everyone double shaels but I think that any hammerdin can get by with 48% fhr and vigor + charge. Note that my hammerdin has never been in complete stunlock except once when I had 2 trappers + boneprison on me.
    -Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -x2 fcr with resist/stats/life/mana
    -Trang glove
    -Arach Mesh
    -Rare boots with stats/fhr/resist
    -Crafted pally ammy with at least 5% fcr and resist/stats/life/mana
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

If you have a crafted pally ammy with 15+% fcr, you can switch a ring for soj for more damage.

NOTE: Again, it is NOT nessesary for 125% fcr and you can be real competitive with 75% fcr. Personally, I kept a 2/20/2 circlet in my stash against other hammerdins, , and necros, but against other builds, I believe you can get by with 75% and the life/mana/dr shako provides.

Charms:

Now this is another debatable issue, to get pally combats with life or to not. Pally combats on nL west go for about 40+ high runes each. Ive always had enough runes and items to fully deck out my hammerdin with 40+ lifers but in the end. I stuck with 5 pally combats with 35+ life, and the rest of my charms being 20/11 resist small charms.

The loss is 2-3k worth of hammer damage.

The gain 100 more to life (even more if you weren’t planning to use 40+ lifers) and super stacked resist. If you fill up your inventory with 5 pally combats, you keep high damage (you seriously can kill anything with 13k hammers) and you buy 20/11 resist small charms, your hammerdin will be ready for any high life character AND characters that have the nasty “ – resist†skills and items. Again, whether you go with pure combats or some, it’s totally up to you, I just like to have my hammerdin more well rounded.

Stash:

The stash will hold some nessesary items and some items that you can use for fun.

Necessary gear:
    -Hotspurs
    -Nokazan
    -Extra soj
    -WizardSpike if main weap is Hoto, Hoto if main weap is wizardspike
    -2 Raven Frosts
    -Thunder Gods
    -Ebotd zerk OR Doom zerk
    -White sacred targe with inherent 45+ resist, socket with 4 perfect sapphires. (Reason I didn’t include one with 4 p topaz is because I had so much stacked resist from my 20/11 charms that I had max resist against decked out Fohers)

more to add:
    -advice given from the public so give feedback, good or bad.
    -pvp section hahahahah.
    -credits (so far giving credit to rags FAQS for fcr and fhr chart.

2. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Yes, alot are very out dated.

Yes, it is locked for now.

Glad to see members give their knowledge and make updated Guides for the members.
    :thumbsup:

3. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

thanks. ill post more in this thread when more people respond since it shows they really want a new one. if not then i guess ill let this die help make someone else make a new one heh.

4. HeavAngel

I'll sticky it for now. It can't be missed then :uhhuh:

5. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

thanks. ill be gone for a day (job huntin) but ill be sure to finish up the strat section within 2 days.

6. HeavAngel

GL on the job hunting :)

:lol: love the way you just beat the question about the strats before any member could ask.

7. Calubrious

Calubrious IncGamers Member

This is a truly epic guide.

I needed a hammerdin guide to perfect my already owning hammerdin. I already use pretty much all the items you mentioned.

I can't wait to see the pvp strats, and pvm strats, along with any other add-ons.

Kudos.

8. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

bleh.. my time seems to get less and less every day. but i was able to make some minor changes and add in 2-3 more sections. i am not done with the strat section pvp but ive got barbs, sorcs, and zons down. ill be sure to try and finish the rest of the classes by tonight.

My background:

hello my name is dkay (or dk as some call) and although I’m retired from d2, I feel that I have played hammerdins long enough to give out a guide. This guide is for those who wish to make a dedicated hammerdin (by dedicated I mean you are willing to invest a lot of runes or valuables to make a good character) I’ve made over 6 hammerdins over the period of my .10 days, I’ve experimented with hammerdin varients as well such as vanquishers and mages which are also very sucessful builds in my opinion. But this guide is for the players who wish to PvP with a "pure" hammerdin. Here’s my first shot at a guide so flame/comment on it as much as you want.

Disclaimer:

Anything I mention in my PvP section is from my own experience, of course everyone has their own opinions. You will also get flamed a lot in pub duels simply because many people believe hammerdins are "cheap" builds, and they are right; if hammerdins are played correctly, they have a good chance to beat any build.

Start:

Just to clear up any number crunching problems. Here is the fcr and fhr breakpoints:

Faster Cast Rate:

0% fcr - 15 frames
    9% fcr - 14 frames
    18% fcr - 13 frames
    30% fcr - 12 frames
    48% fcr - 11 frames
    75% fcr - 10 frames
    125% fcr - 9 frames

Fast Hit Recovery:

0% fhr - 9 frames
    7% fhr - 8 frames
    15% fhr - 7 frames
    27% fhr - 6 frames
    48% fhr - 5 frames
    86% fhr - 4 frames
    200% fhr - 3 frames

Since this is a PvP guide instead of a PvM, I will not go indepth to the level methods. what I did was power level. if any of you do not know what power leveling is, it is a way to get to high levels real quick with the help of a second party:

6. Skip normal baal and go straight to pub game nightmare cow games. level 25-39. **

Note: as a pure hammerdin, you really do not need to level past low 80's, BUT since this is for PvP I suggest you level your character to low 90's at least.

Why? Because the higher level you are, the harder it is for enemies to hit you, this is important against barbs and zealers etc.

Stats:

I suggest you save all your stat points until you are at least level 70, this way you can distribute stats accordingly with the help of Annhilus charm.

Strength: Many hammerdins go base strength, but I like to use Crown of Ages in some duels so I invested about 20 total. Investing SOME strength actually opens up more options for other items so don’t worry if you sink 10-20 into strength, it is only an equivilance to a loss of 110ish~ life after battle orders.

Dexterity: Add this accordingly. Keep sinking points in here until you hit 75% block WITH HOLYSHIELD.

Vita: Sink as much as possible. Hammerdins must be tanks because some strategies in PvP require you to take some hits.

Energy: none of course ;) you can easily hit over 1000 mana with none in energy.

Skills:

-20 Hammers
    -20 Vigor
    -20 Blessed aim
    -20 Concentration

-1 Meditation
    -1 Holyshield
    -1 Charge
    -1 Redemption (PvM)

Hammers: this is of course your main attack and defensive skill. Many people say that hammers are only a defensive skill so that they suck, but if played correctly, you can use this as an offensive skill as well. You will also have charge as a backup skill so you will always have SOME sort of attack at all times.

Vigor: This is your mobility skill, if you have this aura on while your charge, you go very fast. If you do vigor + charge long enough in a public game, you will "desync." which you can use as an advantage against other players

What is "desync"?

"Desync" or "desynchronize," is where your movements are so quick that you appear in areas you are not (on the enemy’s screen). This confuses people and opens opportunities for you to attack. Note that other characters can desync as well, so your not the only one with this capability.

Blessed aim: This is just a synergy of hammer so max this for more hammer damage. You can also use this when you charge with an offensive weapon, such as ‘doom’ Berserker Axe or ‘ebotd’ Berserker Axe, giving you more attack rating.

Concentration: The only aura that boosts your hammer damage, this is important to max since it will raise your hammer damage significantly, it can also be mixed with charge to deal massive damage.

Meditation: This skill is somewhat overlooked, but even with 1 point, this skill can regenerate your mana by 500%. my own hammerdin has over 1000 mana, but still burns faster than I can regenerate, thats when I switch to this aura and regenerate to full mana in mere seconds. It also regenerates your life based on the number of + skill items you have.

Holy Shield: Tthis is a must for hammerdins, I have seen many hammerdins that never utilize Holy Shield, of course they quickly fall to zealots and barbs. This will save you stat points so you don’t have to invest as much into dexterity, which in turn means more life. If you invest more into this skill, you are doing it for more defense, since Holy Shield has diminishing returns.

Charge: Mobility and offensive attack. If you are the type that loves to make quick and violent movements, this is your skill. Even with just 1 point, you have the potential to do 8000+ damage with EBOTD Berserker Axe. It also allows you to escape stunlocks (which trapsins do) and projectiles that caster classes may shoot at you.

Good question, after you level towards 83-85, you will have some skill points left over. Where you invest it, its up to you. I, personally invested the rest of my points into holy shield for more defense. Here are some skills you can sink your remaining into:

-Holyshield
    -Charge
    -Meditation
    -Holy freeze

Items:

Important note that there are some requirements you will want to meet when choosing your items, here are some:

-At LEAST 75% fcr
    -At least 20% dr

Helm:

-Shako
    -Crown of Ages
    -2/20/2 circlet

Shako is the "overall" helm for most hammerdins. With shako you gain life/mana which is good for all casters, the +2 all skills will raise your damage and life (higher bo level). It also tops you off with 10% damage reduction, which is crucial against physical damage dealing classes.

Crown of Ages should only be used for it's damage reduction. Double Ber it and you can achieve high damage reduction. The resistance and fhr is also very useful. Be careful about its steep strength requirement. I had some very good gear so I was able to wear this without investing too much strength.

2/20/2 circlet should only be used when you want to achieve the hammerdin's 125% faster cast rate breakpoint. It will allow you to cast hammers and teleport faster. This helm is very expensive but it is also shoppable, so start saving your gold since it’s rare.

Amulet:

-Maras
    -Rare
    -Crafted
    -Highlords

-2 to pally skills
    -stats
    -resistance
    -life/mana

Crafted amulets can actually get VERY godly. aim for ones with faster cast rate. of course getting lucky is the hard part. i actually crafted a pally ammy with these mods:

-1 pally skills
    -20% fcr
    -20 strength
    -some mana and life

Highlords is a very good amulet. it comes with 1 to all skills and lighting resist. of course the main reason I included this is when you feel like charging with an offensive weapon. It comes with deadly strike based on your character level, which basically means, it will double your damage.

Armor:

-Enigma
    -Viper Magi

The only real choice here to be a competitive player is Enigma. Preferably in a light armor with very low strength requirements. Don’t aim for archon plates because the strength requirement exceeds 100. Aim for mage plate/breast plate/ light plate.

Gloves:

-Trang gloves
    -Bloodfists
    -Magefists

From my experience, I loved having both Trang glove and Bloodfists on my pally. I switched off accordingly. If you have at least 75% fcr, I suggest you use Bloodfist for its life and fhr. If you are desperate for fcr, use trang gloves for the resist. Magefists aren’t that great for this build since mana regen is useless (you’ve got meditation)

Shield:

-HoZ
    -Stormshield

I think HoZ is the best shield for PvP. EVERY mod on it is desirable and I really don’t see why anyone would use anything else. I know its cookie cutter but its just too good to pass up. You will only use Stormshield if you are desperate for damage reduction.

Weapon:

-Wizspike
    -Hoto
    -EBOTD zerk
    -DOOM zerk
    -Eth razors edge
    -‘Spirit’ crystal sword

Wizspike in my opinion is one of the greatest caster weapons alive. Every mod on it is just screaming caster.

Hoto or Heart of the Oak is a runeword that requires a Vex rune to make. Be sure you make this in a flail class, for it only activates when it’s in a flail class. It is definitely worth the hi rune though. Every mod including the oak summon is invaluable for PvP (ill go into details later)

THE HOTO VRS WIZ DEBATE:
    Which is better? Its really up to you. I personally switched from Hoto and Wizardspike. I used Wizardspike when I dueled sorcs and casters with - resist gear or skills. (Blizz sorcs and some really, decked out Fohers) but when I dueled barbs and necros, I used Hoto so I can get quick 1 hit kills (good necros average around 2200-2400 life, with 13-14k hammers you can get 1 hit kills). If you decide to switch between the two like I did, you HAVE to Ko the Wizardspike or put a 15/9 jewel (15 resistance 9 Dex) so that you can make up for the loss of Dex that Hoto provides.

All other high-powered weapons are used for specific duels. I will go indepth in the PvP section.

Spirit is a RW I never used because I never joined ladder, but the mods on it are well suited for casters. It is definitely a weapon to consider.

Weapon switch:

-‘Spirit’/Lidless

For switch you will need a call to arms runeword and a ‘Spirit’/Lidess, this will boost your life significantly, and it is the key if you want to exceed 4000 life.

Rings:

-Sojs
    -Rare
    -Crafted

All the rings are used to boost your already powerful hammerdin with more power. Sojs provide mana and skill, Bk does the same except with life. I prefer Soj over Bk though. My pally used duped rare rings but you can find godly rare rings as well. Aim for the following mods:

-Resistance
    -Stats
    -Mana
    -Life

Rare and crafted rings are used when you are struggling for fcr. Usually hitting 75% fcr is easy, hitting 125% fcr is hard, this is where the rings come in handy. My own hammerdin had 1 soj and 1 fcr ring.

Belt:

-Arach
    -Rare

Any belt with fcr and other mods is good. I prefer Arachnids, since it is easiest to obtain and it comes with 1 to all skills and 20% fcr which leaves you with more flexibility. if you can find a crafted belt with godly mods, I’m jealous and I suggest you use that instead. Some mods to look for on a crafted belt:

-15+ faster cast rate
    -Faster hit recovery
    -Life
    -Mana
    -Resist
    -Stats

Boots:

-Rares
    -Waterwalks
    -Threads of cton

Rare boots can spawn some very good mods. of course that was in .08 patch >< I personally used duped rare boots that provided strength/massive resistance/fhr.

If you are really against dupes, I suggest waterwalks for the dex and life boost. With perfect Waterwalks, you can add up to an equivalence of over 180 life after bo.

Setups:

For overall Pub game-
    -Ber'd shako
    -Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -Soj
    -Trang glove
    -Arach mesh
    -Ber’d HoZ
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

The 125 fcr Setup (many people believe this is a must, but I think you can kill even “pro†players with 75.. I’ve done it many times.)

-2/20/2 circ- I would SERIOUSLY consider double bering this. Almost everyone double shaels but I think that any hammerdin can get by with 48% fhr and vigor + charge. Note that my hammerdin has never been in complete stunlock except once when I had 2 trappers + boneprison on me.
    -Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -Trang glove
    -Arach Mesh
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

If you have a crafted pally ammy with 15+% fcr, you can switch a ring for soj for more damage.

NOTE: Again, it is NOT necessary for 125% fcr and you can be real competitive with 75% fcr. Personally, I kept a 2/20/2 circlet in my stash against other hammerdins, , and necros, but against other builds, I believe you can get by with 75% and the life/mana/dr shako provides.

Charms:

Now this is another debatable issue, to get pally combats with life or to not. Pally combats on nL west go for about 40+ high runes each. Ive always had enough runes and items to fully deck out my hammerdin with 40+ lifers but in the end. I stuck with 5 pally combats with 35+ life, and the rest of my charms being 20/11 resist small charms.

The gain 100 more to life (even more if you weren’t planning to use 40+ lifers) and super stacked resist. If you fill up your inventory with 5 pally combats, you keep high damage (you seriously can kill anything with 13k hammers) and you buy 20/11 resist small charms, your hammerdin will be ready for any high life character AND characters that have the nasty “ – resist†skills and items. Again, whether you go with pure combats or some, it’s totally up to you, I just like to have my hammerdin more well rounded.

Stash:

The stash will hold some nessesary items and some items that you can use for fun.

Necessary gear:
    -Hotspurs
    -Nokazan
    -Extra soj
    -2 Raven Frosts
    -Thunder Gods
    -Ebotd zerk OR Doom zerk
    -White sacred targe with inherent 45+ resist, socket with 4 perfect sapphires. (Reason I didn’t include one with 4 p topaz is because I had so much stacked resist from my 20/11 charms that I had max resist against decked out Fohers)

Strat PvM

Strategy for PvM is pretty straight forward: teleport into a middle of a crowd, hammer away. With the number of guys you kill per second, even if some hit you, you should actually GAIN life because your enigma gives life based on kills. Also if you are low on life you can simply put 1 point into redemption (which is one… very overlooked spell) and gain life AND mana that way. If you plan to PvM a lot, I strongly recommend that you invest at least 1 point in this skill. Even with one point you can fill your entire globe. Bosses are quiet easy to defeat, especially bosses like Diablo who are rather stationary. I believe it takes less than 15 hammers to kill Diablo in Hell. So combine this with a Strong merc and max resistance, and you should be able to kill all bosses with ease.

One character to watch out for in PvM.. if not the only character, is Wailing Beast in act3. they are completely immune to your attacks, but you have two options:

-Charge them with high powered weapon (Ebotd Zerker)
    -Get a merc with massive physical damage

Speaking of Mercs……

Merc:

I also suggest you get a Merc for both PvM and PvP. With a merc the benefits are phenomenal for PvM. I highly suggest you get an act2 Might merc, but Act1 Bow merc works well too. Why Might merc? Because if you have a high powered weapon, and you combine it with your Concentration skill, congratulations you now have a merc that can deal immense damage. My friend’s might merc used:

Ebotd WarPike
    ‘Chains of Honor’ in ethereal archon plate
    40/15’d Guillames helm (35% cb and 15% ds is PERFECT for PvM)

Now that there are new ladder runewords it opens up your options. So choose your weapons and helms according to what you believe works best for your hammerdin.

For Bow mercs.. mine used:

Windforce with -15/15 jewel (I was impatient with her strength)
    40/15’d kiras
    ed/ias jewelers archon plate of the whale.

Though this isn’t exactly what you should equip your mercs with, this is a general idea, just be sure that you aim for max resistance and decent damage (your concentration will add much more)

9. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

PvP Strategy:

Ok this is possibly the most debatable topic in the entire guide. This is simply because most of the things I state can be false. All the strategies I type and give are from my personal experience so its credibility is highly volatile. If any of you guys have comments or criticisms I would gladly love to debate over it in a calm and gentlemen (or woman) fashion so don’t be afraid to comment or flame.

Zons-

Bowzons:
    There are three types of zons: the ones that try, the ones that AA, the ones that don’t try. Either way this won’t change your battle plan. The goal here is to have 48% fcr for 11 frame teleports while holding a highpowered weapon besides hoto. What I mean by this is use ebotd zerker or fury zerker or doom zerker. My weapon of choice is doom because it slows their running and attacking by a lot, making them easy targets of charge. The second goal is to try and get them to not shoot. Getting hit by a 6k arrow with poison DS and OW is painful. In this case I suggest you teleport on top of them as soon as possible. It is obvious that if they are the lazy type, they won’t run and you will get an easy kill. But if you are dueling a skilled one, they will run either rightwards or south to avoid getting hit, then pelt you with hammers; don’t let this happen. Teleport on top, cast a hammer even if you know it won’t hit, then charge them while they run south. Even zons with 2k life can only take so many charges. Sometimes you get charge stuck, where your so close to the zon that you don’t charge anymore. Have smite hotkeyed and smite them when this happens. This methods makes short work of zons.

Charged strike zons:
    9 to 11 bolts dealing 7-8k damage? Lets try to play against cs zons with some smarts. Two types of these gals, the ones that know how to use one, and the ones that just click on your name and wait for you to stop till you get hit. Against the lame name lockers. You can easily kill them by just casting hammers, charge back, cast another, and repeat. This way they have to go though multiple layers of hammers until they reach you. Smart ones can either teleport under you if you stay stationary, or they can chuck lightning bolts at you. Though I don’t think tgods is necessary, if you lose duels against them, I suggest you slap it on. It’ll make your life much easier. Against smart cs zons, I suggest you stick with dueling southward. Stay under the zon so if they decide to pull any tricks, the hammers that cast above you can shield you from any major attack ( 8k damage x 11 bolts… you do the math) keep them on the move by casting a hammer near them, then running back. Then approaching a bit closer, then back up again. When they start to run north and when you THINK they are about to throw lightning furies at you, name lock teleport and cast hammers, if done right it should hit them or send them into dodge animation. remember, ONLY name lock teleport on them if you think OR see them throwing lightning furies. i cannot stress this enough. lightning furies barely hurt, cs can kill you in 2 hits. so might want to reconsider name lock teleporting against a zon standing still, waiting for you to name lock teleport them.

Barbs:
    Haha, its funny, when I was a hammerdin newb I thought that barbs would be the easiest class to deal with along with zealers, hmm how wrong I could have been. Though 99% of barb players do NOT know how to duel against a hammerdin and end up dying quickly, there is that small 1% that know what they are doing, this is the hand full of barbs im talking about. A bvc barb build correctly can deal massive damage. The problem with this matchup is, that the barb needs to get close to hit you, but the same goes for you. Don’t bother name lock teleporting these guys because whirlwind is a special skill, they can just whirl away and transfer 6k open wounds with deadly strike and crushing blow. Best thing to do is “trap†barbs, or desync them. By trap I mean, vision a triangle that has the barb in the middle, throw down some hammers at one corner, move to the next and repeat until you have hammers surrounding him, this should be done quickly, and can confuse the barb making him run into some strays. ALWAYS be cautious about high level leaps. Leaps at level 20+ can go as far as an entire screen away, and send you into double fhr animation. If you decide to desync against these tanks, be sure that you don’t do random charges, charge away from them. If they decide to desync whirlwind you, I suggest you stay stationary for a while and just spam hammers and hope that they’ll run into you without knowing it. Good thing out of all this: I’ve only met 3 barbs on nL West that was able to truly strike fear into my hammerdin, so unless you run into 2 of the 3 (one of them quit) then your probably safe from barbs.

Conc/Zerk-

Never dueled a zerk barb but from dueling conc barbs, I know that you can abuse their 1-swing attack. Stay south of them so that the only way they can approach you is by getting somewhere above you, right where your hammers fly out from.

WWbarbs-

Look at werewolves.

Sorcs:

My philosophy is: If they are BM, then punish them. Any sorc is absorbable so if there is a sorc that is very BM then I suggest you go to your stash and slap on your nessesary equipment, if not then lets move on.~

Lightning sorcs:

These sorcs come into play with 40+ lightning damage. Good thing is that there is a big gap between their minimum and maximum damage. So in some duels if you get hit, you will get hurt.. bad… if not then the damage can even be negligible. Assuming that the sorc is a smart player, she will do many teleports to confuse and shoot when she feels she can hit you. Charging against lightning sorcs is a bad idea since you travel in a straight line.. the exact same way that lightning travels. Charge ONLY if they have lidless or spirit shield (which implies low block rating) if they have stormshield or winstons or sanctuary, they will most likely have max block. But this can also be good for you since that means that they have low life. They will NEVER be able to take more than 2 hammers, even the second hammer is overkill. Best thing to do is charge around until you see them shooting lightnings at you. If you are vigor + charging, they most likely wont have name lock on you, this is when you abuse their slow casting lightning and name lock teleport. If they are the type to shoot once and teleport and repeat, then I say you MAKE them get aggressive by charging away and spamming hammers. The will most likely teleport near you to catch-up and shoot, THEN you name lock teleport and cast away. T gods isn’t necessary but if they out-gear or out-charm you, im sure they wouldn’t mind t gods.

Cold sorcs:

Orb-
    Against any cold sorcs, I suggest you slap on your sapphire white sacred targe and wizardspike. Even with my stacked resist from my charms, It hurt getting hit by the shards. I really suggest that you do not charge a lot because orb is so spread out that you really need to see what you are doing. Best thing to do is to abuse the sorcs, cool down period. So if she shoots, shes open for an attack. DO NOT name lock teleport her if shes been teleporting around but haven’t shot an orb, that means that she can simply teleport a little south after your teleportation then blast you with a full orb. Avoid the ball since that’s where the shards come out from, and expect to get hit in this battle. Lets say that you name lock teleported but you failed, and the sorc hit you with a decent orb, do NOT try to name lock teleport again, back off because she is most likely predicting that you will give it another shot. back off, slap on meditation (to regen some life) and wait for her to attack first. Stay south in this battle too because if you are north, even if she shot an orb and you teleport on top, a lot of shards will hit you.

Blizzard-
    Bleh.. the bane of those who aren’t prepared. But luckily you ARE prepared and you have your class-specific shield and a 90 resist wizardspike. I suggest you even slap on kiras for this. My hammerdin cannot tank too many blizzards but I believe the number was at least 3-4 shards. Honestly, this battle can be disadvantageous to you if you duel a smart one. Since a smart one will always blizzards then start shooting iceblasts. DON’T think those little balls don’t hurt. They do half the damage blizzards do and shoot twice as fast. Come into this battle with the mentality that you will have at least half your globe wasted. They will try to name lock blizzard you, and some may even hit. Best thing to do is get this duel over as quickly as possible so get namelock teleport on them and cast hammers. Even if they are shooting down blizzards against themselves, know this: you can tank more blizzards than they can tank hammers.
    Heres some number crunching:
    Aim for 450 resist, you don’t NEED it but try and get close. Some ways to get it.
    85 from um’d kiras
    90 from wizard spike 15 resist jeweled
    205 from shield
    30 from trang glove
    20 from anny
    I had stacked resist from charms and rings so I had about 450. but either way with at LEAST this setup you will have 430.(I didn’t count 30 from resist quest since im assuming you will die at least once in a game, and that means the anya bug will take effect.) still pretty amazing huh?

Fireball-
    26k when fully loaded, hurts a lot. Assuming a 24k fireball, the damage you will take on average is… 24000/6 = 4000. 4000 x .25 = 1000. this means you can only take four.. maybe 5 if you have massive life. Good thing is that you can see the fireballs they shoot and dodge accordingly. In duels like these, name lock teleport should be completely out of the question because they can constantly spam. If you must name lock teleport, then I suggest you desync charge defensively and get the sorc to come to you first. (similar to the lightning sorc strategy) just be aware that they shoot much faster than lightning sorcs and the damage is a lot more solid, the fireballs even travel further, which in my opinion (assuming no absorb) makes fireball sorcs the hardest of the sorcs.

ES sorcs-

Not much to say about es sorcs, they are basically sorcs that trade in damage for more “life†the same strategy applies to all of the sorcs above but just keep in mind that you can tank more hits, but in return you have to cast more hammers. Most common of these are fireball/es and lightning/es. Their damage is roughly around 18k fireball and 24k lightning. Orb/es sorcs will do 1.1kish~ per shard. I think that es sorcs are much better than regular sorcs because they can tank more, and worst of all… regen mana which means more life if the escape your attack. So if you are going to jump in for an attack. Be sure you finish the job then and there.

10. HeavAngel

Wowza :D :thumbsup: :king:

11. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

heavangel i notice that this thread hasnt gotten too many responses. prolly because i prematurelly sent out the guide. can you unsticky it and ill make a new thread when im completely finished with all the icing on the cake. ;)

12. HeavAngel

As you wish :D

13. HeavAngel

This was posted 06-27-2005.
    It's now September, and I don't want to see this Guide go to the way side.
    Give him a kick to finish this Guide :D

Thanks!

14. gohanthemystic

gohanthemystic IncGamers Member

Yeah man, come on! Kick this things rear! I've been tooting the updating horn for awhile. So it'd be good to have ya helpin out!!! :clap: :thumbsup:

-Gohan

15. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

2nd Approach to highspeed lvling:

1. Get rushed to hell act4
    2. Do Chaos runs till lvl 20
    3. Cow till lvl 25, Chaos is a bit slow at lvls 20-25.
    4. Do chaos runs till lvl 60.
    5. Do Baal runs till lvl 90+.

16. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

haha sorry for the long delay heavangel. i totally forgot about the guide since i spent most of my time in the pvp forums. just need to tweak around with the gear section and im done.

17. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

never done it but ill take your word for it. shall be added into rush section with credits to you if you dont mind.

18. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

ok ive got the entire rough draft complete. i guess ill post for discussion before i decide to do anything further with it:

My background:

Played hammerdins since .10, flame, comment, etc.

Disclaimer:

Start:

Just to clear up any number crunching problems. Here is the fcr and fhr breakpoints from Ragnorods FAQs:

Faster Cast Rate:

0% fcr - 15 frames
    9% fcr - 14 frames
    18% fcr - 13 frames
    30% fcr - 12 frames
    48% fcr - 11 frames
    75% fcr - 10 frames
    125% fcr - 9 frames

Fast Hit Recovery:

0% fhr - 9 frames
    7% fhr - 8 frames
    15% fhr - 7 frames
    27% fhr - 6 frames
    48% fhr - 5 frames
    86% fhr - 4 frames
    200% fhr - 3 frames

Since this is a PvP guide instead of a PvM, I will not go indepth to the level methods. What I did was power level. If any of you do not know what power leveling is, it is a way to get to high levels real quick with the help of a second party:

2nd Approach to highspeed lvling:

1. Get rushed to hell act4
    2. Do Chaos runs till lvl 20
    3. Cow till lvl 25, Chaos is a bit slow at lvls 20-25.
    4. Do chaos runs till lvl 60.
    5. Do Baal runs till lvl 90+.

Stats:

I suggest you save all your stat points until you are at least level 70, this way you can distribute stats accordingly with the help of Annhilus charm and Hellfire Torch.

Strength: Many hammerdins go base strength, but I like to use Crown of Ages in some duels so I invested about 20 total. Investing SOME strength actually opens up more options for other items so don’t worry if you sink 10-20 into strength, it is only an equivilance to a loss of 100ish~ life after battle orders.

Vitality: Sink as much as possible. Hammerdins must be tanks because some strategies in PvP require you to take some hits.

Skills:

-20 Hammers
    -20 Vigor
    -20 Blessed aim
    -20 Concentration

-1 Meditation
    -1 Holyshield
    -1 Charge
    -1 Redemption (PvM)

What is "desync"?

Meditation: This skill is somewhat overlooked, but even with 1 point, this skill can regenerate your mana by 500%. My own hammerdin has over 1000 mana, but still burns faster than I can regenerate, that’s when I switch to this aura and regenerate to full mana in mere seconds. It also regenerates your life based on the number of + skill items you have.

Holy Shield: This is a must for hammerdins, I have seen many hammerdins that never utilize Holy Shield, of course they quickly fall to zealots and barbs. This will save you stat points so you don’t have to invest as much into dexterity, which in turn means more life. If you invest more into this skill, you are doing it for more defense, since Holy Shield has diminishing returns.

-Holyshield
    -Charge
    -Meditation
    -Holy freeze

Items:

-At LEAST 75% fcr
    -At least 34% dr

Helm:

-Shako
    -Crown of Ages
    -2/20/2 circlet

Amulet:

-Maras
    -Rare
    -Crafted
    -Highlords

-2 to pally skills
    -stats
    -resistance
    -life/mana

-1 pally skills
    -20% fcr
    -20 strength
    -some mana and life

Armor:

-Enigma
    -Viper Magi

Gloves:

-Trang gloves
    -Bloodfists
    -Magefists

Shield:

-HoZ
    -Stormshield

Weapon:

-Wizspike
    -Hoto
    -EBOTD zerk
    -DOOM zerk
    -Eth razors edge
    -‘Spirit’ crystal sword

THE HOTO VRS WIZ DEBATE:

Weapon switch:

-‘Spirit’/Lidless

Rings:

-Sojs
    -Rare
    -Crafted

-Resistance
    -Stats
    -Mana
    -Life

Belt:

-Arach
    -Rare

-15+ faster cast rate
    -Faster hit recovery
    -Life
    -Mana
    -Resist
    -Stats

Boots:

-Rares
    -Waterwalks
    -Threads of cton

Setups:

For overall Pub game ‘the 75% fcr setup’-
    -Ber'd shako
    -Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -Soj
    -Trang glove
    -Arach mesh
    -Ber’d HoZ
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

The 125 fcr Setup #1 (many people believe this is a must, but I think you can kill even “pro†players with 75.. I’ve done it many times.)

-Hoto flail
    -Enigma light plate
    -Trang glove
    -Arach Mesh
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

125% fcr set up #2

-Shako
    -Wizspike
    -Pally ammy with 15+ fcr
    -Arach
    -Trang
    -Ber’d HoZ
    -Enigma light plate
    -X2 fcr rings with resist/stats/life/mana
    -6+ bo cta
    -‘Spirit’/lidless

NOTE: Again, it is NOT necessary for 125% fcr and you can be real competitive with 75% fcr. Personally, I kept a 2/20/2 circlet in my stash against other hammerdins, , and necros, but against other builds, I believe you can get by with 75% and the life/mana/dr shako provides.

Charms:

Now this is another debatable issue, to get pally combats with life or to not. Pally combats on nL west go for about 40+ high runes each. Ive always had enough runes and items to fully deck out my hammerdin with 40+ lifers but in the end. I stuck with 5 pally combats with 35+ life, and the rest of my charms being 20/11 resist small charms and just plain 20 life scs.

Edit: after much thinking. Ive found that if you are rich enough to get 10 pally combats with 35+ life. Then using the 125% fcr setup #2 would be ideal. You can probably hit 14k hammers with close to max dr (since you have the flexibility to switch Shako for CoA berber) and 125% fcr all at once with 10 pally combats w/ 35+ life and fcr setup #2, which I may attempt to do when I come back to d2.

Stash:

Necessary gear:
    -Hotspurs
    -Nokazan
    -Extra soj
    -2 Raven Frosts
    -Thunder Gods
    -Grief zerk OR Doom zerk

19. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

Strat PvM

Strategy for PvM is pretty straight forward: teleport into a middle of a crowd, hammer away. With the number of guys you kill per second, even if some hit you, you should actually GAIN life because your enigma gives life based on kills. Also if you are low on life you can simply put 1 point into redemption (which is one… very overlooked spell) and gain life AND mana that way. If you plan to PvM a lot, I strongly recommend that you invest at least 1 point in this skill. Even with one point you can fill your entire globe. Bosses are quiet easy to defeat, especially bosses like Diablo who are rather stationary. I believe it takes less than 15 hammers to kill Diablo in Hell. So combine this with a Strong merc and max resistance, and you should be able to kill all bosses with ease.

One character to watch out for in PvM.. if not the only character, is Wailing Beast in act3. they are completely immune to your attacks, but you have two options:

-Charge them with high powered weapon (Grief Zerker)
    -Get a merc with massive physical damage

Speaking of Mercs……

Merc:

I also suggest you get a Merc for both PvM and PvP. With a merc the benefits are phenomenal for PvM. I highly suggest you get an act2 Might merc, but Act1 Bow merc works well too. Why Might merc? Because if you have a high powered weapon, and you combine it with your Concentration skill, congratulations you now have a merc that can deal immense damage. My friend’s might merc used:

Ebotd WarPike
    ‘Chains of Honor’ in ethereal archon plate
    40/15’d Guillames helm (35% cb and 15% ds is PERFECT for PvM)

Now that there are new ladder runewords it opens up your options. So choose your weapons and helms according to what you believe works best for your hammerdin.

For Bow mercs.. mine used:

Windforce with -15/15 jewel (I was impatient with her strength)
    40/15’d kiras
    ed/ias jewelers archon plate of the whale.

Though this isn’t exactly what you should equip your mercs with, this is a general idea, just be sure that you aim for max resistance and decent damage (your concentration will add much more)

PvP Strategy:

Ok this is possibly the most debatable topic in the entire guide. This is simply because most of the things I state can be false. All the strategies I type and give are from my personal experience so its credibility is highly volatile. If any of you guys have comments or criticisms I would gladly love to debate over it in a calm and gentlemen (or woman) fashion so don’t be afraid to comment or flame.

Reminder-
    In some duels you will have to switch equipment around, but no matter what, ALWAYS keep at least 75% fcr if you are using utility items like T gods or deaths gloves. If you are using a highpowered weapon such as ebotd, aim for 40% fcr at least, if you can hit 75% with a high powered weapon, your going to be well off.

Zons-

Bowzons:
    There are three types of zons: the ones that try, the ones that AA, the ones that don’t try. Either way this won’t change your battle plan. The goal here is to have 48% fcr for 11 frame teleports while holding a highpowered weapon besides hoto. What I mean by this is use ebotd zerker or fury zerker or doom zerker. My weapon of choice is doom because it slows their running and attacking by a lot, making them easy targets of charge. The second goal is to try and get them to not shoot. Getting hit by a 6k arrow with poison DS and OW is painful. In this case I suggest you teleport on top of them as soon as possible. It is obvious that if they are the lazy type, they won’t run and you will get an easy kill. But if you are dueling a skilled one, they will run either rightwards or south to avoid getting hit, then pelt you with arrows; don’t let this happen. Teleport on top, cast a hammer even if you know it won’t hit, then charge them while they run south. Even zons with 2k life can only take so many charges. Sometimes you get charge stuck, where your so close to the zon that you don’t charge anymore. Have smite hotkeyed and smite them when this happens. This methods makes short work of zons.

Charged strike zons:
    9 to 11 bolts dealing 7-8k damage? Lets try to play approach cs zons with caution. Two types of this class, the ones that know how to use one, and the ones that just click on your name and wait for you to stop till you get hit. Against the lame name lockers. You can easily kill them by just casting hammers, charge back, cast another, and repeat. This way they have to go though multiple layers of hammers until they reach you. Smart ones can either teleport under you if you stay stationary, or they can chuck lightning bolts at you. Though I don’t think tgods is necessary, if you lose duels against them, I suggest you slap it on. It’ll make your life much easier. Against smart cs zons, I suggest you stick with dueling southward. Stay under the zon so if they decide to pull any tricks, the hammers that cast above you can shield you from any major attack ( 8k damage x 11 bolts… you do the math) keep them on the move by casting a hammer near them, then running back. Then approaching a bit closer, then backing. When they start to run north and when you THINK they are about to throw lightning furies at you, name lock teleport and cast hammers, if done right it should hit them or send them into dodge animation.

Barbs:
    Haha, its funny, when I was a hammerdin newb I thought that barbs would be the easiest class to deal with along with zealers, hmm how wrong I could have been. Though 99% of barb players do NOT know how to duel against a hammerdin and end up dying quickly, there is that small 1% that know what they are doing, this is the hand full of barbs im talking about. A bvc barb build correctly can deal massive damage. The problem with this matchup is, that the barb needs to get close to hit you, but the same goes for you. Don’t bother name lock teleporting these guys because whirlwind is a special skill, they can just whirl away and transfer 6k open wounds with deadly strike and crushing blow. Best thing to do is “trap†barbs, or desync them. By trap I mean, vision a triangle that has the barb in the middle, throw down some hammers at one corner, move to the next and repeat until you have hammers surrounding him, this should be done quickly, and can confuse the barb making him run into some strays. ALWAYS be cautious about high level leaps. Leaps at level 20+ can go as far as an entire screen away, and send you into double fhr animation. If you decide to desync against these tanks, be sure that you don’t do random charges, charge away from them. If they decide to desync whirlwind you, I suggest you stay stationary for a while and just spam hammers and hope that they’ll run into you without knowing it. Good thing out of all this: I’ve only met 3 barbs on nL West that was able to truly strike fear into my hammerdin, so unless you run into 2 of the 3 (one of them quit) then your probably safe from barbs.

Conc/Zerk-

Never dueled a zerk barb but from dueling conc barbs, I know that you can abuse their 1-swing attack. Stay south of them so that the only way they can approach you is by getting somewhere above you, right where your hammers fly out from.

WWbarbs-

Look at werewolves.

Sorcs:

My philosophy is: If they are BM, then punish them. Any sorc is absorbable so if there is a sorc that is very BM then I suggest you go to your stash and slap on your nessesary equipment, if not then lets move on.~

Lightning sorcs:

These sorcs come into play with 40+ lightning damage. Good thing is that there is a big gap between their minimum and maximum damage. So in some duels if you get hit, you will get hurt.. bad… if not then the damage can even be negligible. Assuming that the sorc is a smart player, she will do many teleports to confuse and shoot when she feels she can hit you. Charging against lightning sorcs is a bad idea since you travel in a straight line.. the exact same way that lightning travels. Charge ONLY if they have lidless or spirit shield (which implies low block rating) if they have stormshield or winstons or sanctuary, they will most likely have max block. But this can also be good for you since that means that they have low life. They will NEVER be able to take more than 2 hammers, even the second hammer is overkill. Best thing to do is charge around until you see them shooting lightnings at you. If you are vigor + charging, they most likely wont have name lock on you, this is when you abuse their slow casting lightning and name lock teleport. If they are the type to shoot once and teleport and repeat, then I say you MAKE them get aggressive by charging away and spamming hammers. The will most likely teleport near you to catch-up and shoot, THEN you name lock teleport and cast away. T gods isn’t necessary but if they out-gear or out-charm you, im sure they wouldn’t mind t gods.

Cold sorcs:

Orb-
    Against any cold sorcs, I suggest you slap on your sapphire white sacred targe and wizardspike. Even with my stacked resist from my charms, It hurt getting hit by the shards. I really suggest that you do not charge a lot because orb is so spread out that you really need to see what you are doing. Best thing to do is to abuse the sorcs, cool down period. So if she shoots, shes open for an attack. DO NOT name lock teleport her if shes been teleporting around but haven’t shot an orb, that means that she can simply teleport a little south after your teleportation then blast you with a full orb. Avoid the ball since that’s where the shards come out from, and expect to get hit in this battle. Lets say that you name lock teleported but you failed, and the sorc hit you with a decent orb, do NOT try to name lock teleport again, back off because she is most likely predicting that you will give it another shot. back off, slap on meditation (to regen some life) and wait for her to attack first. Stay south in this battle too because if you are north, even if she shot an orb and you teleport on top, a lot of shards will hit you.

Blizzard-
    Bleh.. the bane of those who aren’t prepared. But luckily you ARE prepared and you have your class-specific shield and a 90 resist wizardspike. I suggest you even slap on kiras for this. My hammerdin cannot tank too many blizzards but I believe the number was at least 3-4 shards. Honestly, this battle can be disadvantageous to you if you duel a smart one. Since a smart one will always blizzards then start shooting iceblasts. DON’T think those little balls don’t hurt. They do half the damage blizzards do and shoot twice as fast. Come into this battle with the mentality that you will have at least half your globe wasted. They will try to name lock blizzard you, and some may even hit. Best thing to do is get this duel over as quickly as possible so get namelock teleport on them and cast hammers. Even if they are shooting down blizzards against themselves, know this: you can tank more blizzards than they can tank hammers.
    Heres some number crunching:
    Aim for 450 resist, you don’t NEED it but try and get close. Some ways to get it.
    85 from um’d kiras
    90 from wizard spike 15 resist jeweled
    205 from shield
    30 from trang glove
    20 from anny
    I had stacked resist from charms and rings so I had about 450. but either way with at LEAST this setup you will have 430.(I didn’t count 30 from resist quest since im assuming you will die at least once in a game, and that means the anya bug will take effect.) still pretty amazing huh?

edit: also note. orbs are most damaging when it is about 2 inches away from the sorc. if you are ever within that range, you will eat 16 ugly shards. i suggest you never get within 2 inches of an orb sorc. either right near or far away is best.

Fireball-
    26k when fully loaded, hurts a lot. Assuming a 24k fireball, the damage you will take on average is… 24000/6 = 4000. 4000 x .25 = 1000. this means you can only take four.. maybe 5 if you have massive life. Good thing is that you can see the fireballs they shoot and dodge accordingly. In duels like these, name lock teleport should be completely out of the question because they can constantly spam. If you must name lock teleport, then I suggest you desync charge defensively and get the sorc to come to you first. (similar to the lightning sorc strategy) just be aware that they shoot much faster than lightning sorcs and the damage is a lot more solid, the fireballs even travel further, which in my opinion (assuming no absorb) makes fireball sorcs the hardest of the sorcs.

ES sorcs-

Not much to say about es sorcs, they are basically sorcs that trade in damage for more “life†the same strategy applies to all of the sorcs above but just keep in mind that you can tank more hits, but in return you have to cast more hammers. Most common of these are fireball/es and lightning/es. Their damage is roughly around 18k fireball and 24k lightning. Orb/es sorcs will do 1.1kish~ per shard. I think that es sorcs are much better than regular sorcs because they can tank more, and worst of all… regen mana which means more life if the escape your attack. So if you are going to jump in for an attack. Be sure you finish the job then and there. Best thing to do against them is to play defensively and cast hammerfields before you charge to another location. This way when they come aggressively on you, they may get hit by a stray or two. when you see them getting hit by a stray, teleport in and name lock hammer them.

Dream sorcs-

Never dueled one, hopefully someone can inherit the guide and put in more inputs on this.

Assassins-

Trappers- a good trapper will dish out about 10-11k damage, these guys come in two variants: duel claw or weapon shield. I find duel claw to be harder than weapon/shield because they have the potential to block your hammers. They also have more life and can gain just as much fcr. The good thing is that its hard for trappers to lock you. With 48% fhr and charge, you should never get trap locked. Though I don’t recommend tgods, if you are losing badly I suggest that you slap one on. Theres actually two ways to handle trappers. One way is to charge at them with a high powered weapon then push them out of their trap field, if they are still alive you can simply hammer them. The second method is to play defensively and wait until they come out. Spam 2 hammers and move to another location away from the trapper. If they follow, then good for you, you can now find openings to attack them.

WWsins/ghosts-

Both are similar because they utilze whirlwind as a skill. Big difference is that ghosts have more mana, more fcr and more life; but wwsins have more damage. I suggest you slap on deaths glove in this duel. This way they will do a lot less damage, but don’t get cocky, they still hurt. Good wwsins/ghosts will be at a very high level to get the most potential out of their OW. Against wwsins, they will try to dragon flight you which is stupid because all you need to do is spam hammers (df will send them on top of you) but smart ones will blade fury you or attempt to stun you with WoF/LS and mb. If they do this, take advantage of the situation and charge right at out of the trap field, and quickly teleport UNDER them and shoot hammers. Teleport under because you don’t want to teleport on top of a prepared wwsin/ghost, they can simply just whirlwind south and get an easy hit or two on you.

Kicker- never dueled a good one ? maybe I can get duels in with speedlander when I come back.

Druids-

Weredruids-

Though I’ve only dueled a few, I’ve found them to be quiet easy. As long as you stay south, you can beat these animals without even having to desync. Stay south or right of them because that’s where the hammers come out from. NEVER name lock teleport them because you really don’t want to deal with a bear’s 3k damage 4 frame maul, or especially a fury druids 13k 4 frame fury, my friend killed my hammerdin in 1 shot before. o_O

Note- weredruids cannot die in their wereform so even if you hit them beyond 1 life, they will have 1 life left over in human form and they can just recast, best thing to do is when they are shifted back to human form, charge them with your hoto stick or smite them once to finish the job.

Wind druids-

Honestly, a consistent wind druid is probably number 3 on the hammerdin’s “Must Fear,†list. Reason being that a consistent wind druid will always recast his minion stackable doggies even after they die. This poses a problem to you because that renders your hammers useless, for at least the first 5 hits at least. Playing offensive in this duel is very suicidal but I have done it a couple times against Rauth (former forumer) I would run right into him and spam hammers, hoping that 5 hammers will kill the doggies then eventually him. But that was far too risky. The best thing to do is create a hammerfield in one area. So spam 3-4 hammers and walk to a different but close area and spam another 3-4. When the druid teleports near your area, 2-3 doggies should die right off the bat, if he decides to stay and try to finish you off, you can name lock teleport him and kill off his last dogs, and him. If he runs back to recast, chase him, don’t let him recast his dog and keep pressuring him. If your lucky, you can nail him with hammers while he’s recasting his dogs. If you see that you were too late and he recasted at least 3 dogs, back off and create a new hammerfield and try it again. Don’t try to attack the oak because it will probably end up running into stray hammers and killing themselves anyways (they are very suicidal) your main focus in this duel is to strip the druid of his dogs. If the wind druid you duel uses grizzly bear or dire wolves (spirit wolves are the ones you need to fear), or no minions whatsoever, it should be a quick and easy duel.

20. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

Necros-

Bone necro-
    Bone necros no longer have the marrow bug so they are stuck with lower damage. But this doesn’t mean that they are a frailed class. They can still dish out 4-5k spirits and spears which is definitely something to fear. Since they no longer have marrow bug, they now have bone prison as well to make up for their loss of damage. Prison + decrept is going to be our worst enemy because if they catch us while we charge, then were going to be in 2309478203984 animation, we’ll be so slow that they can probably whack us to death with their sticks. Against necros with bone prisons, ive found that using hoto + oak is the best way to kill them. Teleport around them so they get confused, name lock teleport them WHILE they are shooting bonespears/spirits. Then hammer away. If they are mediocre necros, they will die in 1 hammer. If they are good they will take 2 because they will have slightly more life then them. The oak is casted so you can tank more spirits and you get minion stack, so when you name lock teleport them, even if they hit you with a spear, the oak will take the first hit. Dueling necros is one of the harder duels you will face.

Poison necro-
    Slap on Deaths glove and maintain 75% fcr. Deaths glove is a must in killing necros because their poison + lower resist will eat you alive without it. Deaths glove provides all the stacked resist you will ever need, plus it reduces the poison duration by 75%. Even with deaths glove, it is a bit hard to tank a lot of poisons so be careful. Best thing to do is to stay back while they spam. When they come near you, wait for them to shoot the first nova, you should then namelock hammer them right away. Because if not then the second nova will hit you, and they will flee. In case you got hit by too many and your life is near 1. I suggest you run back and cast meditation + oak. This is because they will most likely cast a fire Gollum to finish you off. Meditation + oak will provide enough life in time so that you will not die in a humiliating way. This is also good because they necro will get hasty in wanting to finish you off and he will get careless in his movements, allowing you to make him hit stray hammers if you charge away and cast a hammer every now and then.

Paladins-

V.T-
    With grief entering the scenes, I can safely say that v.t’s have gotten huge boost damage wise. If they are a T.V they can dish out a good 6k foh and 7k smite which isn’t something you really want to get hit by. The best ways to duel v.t’s are by stacking lightning resist so you have 85 resist after conviction hit you. With 85 resist after conviction, they will have to hit you with a crap load of FoH’s before you even notice your getting hurt. Now the only thing to worry about is smite. It’s best to not name lock teleport because they can shift/namelock/smite and get in an easy hit. Teleport under or to the left of them (where your hammers come out from) and hammer away. In case they predict it and charge away, that’s when you should name lock teleport to where he is and surprise him with more hammers. If they decide to desync you, desync them back.

Mages-
    Mages are weaker versions of us but have foh to back them up. I used to be a mage player and it was with this build that I got to beat some well known people on the west (such as blobs, eternalspirit and maniac) what does this mean? It means that mages are a very versatile build that can handle lots of situations. My own Mage had 5+k FoH and 8k Hammers. Our only advantage is that our Hammers do more damage. But that’s what we will use to kill them. Beating a good mage requires a hoto and fast clicking. The best way I found to kill good ones is this: they will be fohing you so stack resist. Right after they foh you once, most likely they will charge to a different location, spam a hammer or two, then shoot another foh. So RIGHT after they foh you, cast a oak out (hotkey it for quickness) then name lock teleport them. You should land on them by the time they start spamming their first hammer. The oak will take the first hammer hit and then you should be able to hit him. After you hit him once its over since 1 hammer will send them into fhr animation and they will get hit by another. If they are the type to spam hammerfields in one spot and shoot at you with foh, just teleport under them and hammer away. 2-3 hammers should kill even the best mages.

Pure smite-
    Stay south of them and slowly approach them with hammers, there’s not much they can do with that. In case they SOMEHOW get under you, its best for you to charge away, and teleport under them again. Don’t keep spamming hammers because they will get in easy smites and 10k smites aren’t something that you want to get hit by.

Pure foher-
    Not much to say about this but, stack resist and defensively charge/hammer. Most foher’s will move around to avoid you with charge. So your only option is to charge the opposite direction and desync them. Most likely they will go on the offensive, move near you, and get hit by stray hammers. Ive always done this against the fohers ive dueled.

Pure chargers-
    This class is a frailed class, they are too weak to compete in pvp environment in my opinion, but that doesn’t mean that they cant kill you. The reason they suck is because of low life and no shield, and especially, 1 buggy attack that they rely on. But one can dish out 40k damage so approach with caution.

Other Hammerdins-
    Bleh.. don’t get me started…….

Conclusion-
    Well that’s a wrap on how to duel and play with hammerdins, I know the pvp section is a bit confusing, but the best way to get good against other classes is of course, by experiencing it yourself. Im just hoping that this guide gives you slightly more knowledge on how to use them.

Credits-
    I’d like to thank the PvP forum in particular since that’s where we have had most our debates. Off the top of my head…. Phyrexial, Luis, Koda, Speedlander, dumbpig, no2shakefakes, Rag for the FAQs and Lyrs for the 2nd method of power level. and anyone else I forgot. in particular like to thank Clan BM ( Blobs, Maniac, Planters, Duelzer, Ai-Silenoob) for being the best clan on the west!!

geez that was long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.